Who is Jesus? Is he God?

by BelieverInJesus 396 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

UnDFed:What does it mean to "believe that Jesus is God"?

In my own case I had previously been taught that Jesus was second only to the Father, and one who had provided a ransom for sin. I only had the WTS framework to go by.

In coming to realise that he was more than I had been taught, and desiring to go directly to him, there was an implicit understanding that what I needed was only to be found with him. I can't say at that point I had any genuine comprehension of what God truly was, nor any of the intricacies of I AM. What child of God does?

For that reason I suspect that you may be putting the hard definitions of words and theology above grace. Be careful not to shut the narrow gate...

• Mondo1
    Mondo1

Would you care to "disprove" any of the info on the web pages I posted? Please I am dying to know where the horrible scholarship and exegesis is. I challenge you to disprove something on any of those web pages. That shouldn't be too hard for you, should it, seeing that you must be a master of scholarship and an expert at exegesis?

I did not make a personal attack, I made a statement of fact. Scholarship and exegesis are lacking. For an example, from the following link we find this: http://www.macgregorministries.org/jehovahs_witnesses/jesus_god/jesus_is_god.html

Again in Mark 15:39 The centurion said of Jesus. while He was on the cross. "TRULY THIS MAN WAS THE SON OF GOD.' A look at the Greek shows that there is no article before the word "God." But Jesus was not the son of someone who was "god-like." Rather. He is the son of "God.' In this case the rule that applies is the rule that predicate nouns take the article if they follow the verb. And since "God' or 'Theos' precedes the verb, it has no article, just as in John 1:1 above.

Talk about entirely importing something unrelated. God would be the genitive QEOU, it would not be a preverbal anarthrous predicate nominative ala John 1:1c. And yet they use this to "disprove" the translation of "a god" in John 1:1? This is poor scholarship. It is unresearched and it is the use of a wanna-be argument when there is no argument to be made.

Where does the Bible ever say that Christians are not under God's Command to worship Him ALONE? What do you base that claim on? Jesus repeated this Commandment (Matthew 4:10, Luke 4:8). Do you also claim that Christians are not under God's Moral Laws, such as "You shall not murder," "You shall not covet," and "You shall not commit adultery"? Are Christians still under those commands or not? If they are, then why are they under those laws, but not under God's Command to worship only Him?

Yes we are under the moral law, but this is not a matter of morality. Do we observe the Sabbath? No! We are not to worship idols, as the NT makes very clear (1Joh. 5:21), but Jesus is not an idol, he is the Son of God. Hebrews 1 presents a command from God to the angels to worship Jesus. God is making the command, so it is to be obeyed.

If Jesus was created by God, then how did Jesus exist before ALL things were created? (Colossians 1:16-18) If Jesus was created by God, then how did God created all things through Jesus? (John 1:3)

Because the adjective PAS is contextually relative. For example, in Hebrews 2:10 if "all things" are subject to Jesus, how come the Father is not? Indeed, in John 1:3, if "all things" are created through Christ, is not the Father created through Jesus too, because it says "all"? No. The exception of the Father is implied, because the Father is not created, and so the exception of the Son is seen because the Son cannot be created through himself. John 1:4, when translated literally from the Greek while properly attaching to the sentence the words hO GEGONEN as the early church did, reads: "What has come to be in him was life and the life was the light of men." Who is "the light of men"? The Messiah! And what? "The life." And what happened to the life? It "came to be." If Jesus is the light of men and the light of men is the life, Jesus came to be! John 1:4 says he was created.

Also, if God created all things through Jesus (as stated in John 1:3), then how did God also create all things ALONE, BY HIMSELF? (Isaiah 44:24)

Which in context is dealing with God vs. idols. Of course all things originate with God and so he does it "by himself," but doing it by himself does not stop him from making use of his own creation. God made use of his own creation to create many things, including gravity, various gasses, etc. Even with the creation of man he used dirt and water. To say God made use of his own creation does not contradict the verse, but if somebody or thing that wasn't his creation was involved, that indeed would contradict it.

If a person in the first century had wanted to write God's Name/Title "I AM" from Exodus 3:14 in Greek, how would it have been written?

Some form of esomai or egw eimi ho wn. Take a look at Acts 3:13, you'll find it alludes back to Exodus 3:15, and we see that the speaker there (and thus also in 14) was not Jesus at all, but it was the Father.

If Jesus simply meant that He existed before Abraham in John 8:58, then why did the Jews try to stone Him for blasphemy? It was not against Jewish law to claim to be an angel was it? It was only against Jewish law to claim to be God or equal to God. So, no matter what you claim Jesus was saying in John 8:58, the Jews clearly understood that He was using the Divine Name "I AM" found in Exodus 3:14.

It was blasphemy to claim to take authority from God for yourself when God did not grant it to you, which is what Jesus was doing. He was claiming, in their eyes, to have stolen an existence that lasted for roughly 2000 years, something that no man is capable of without the authority from God to do so. As he didn't have it, in their eyes, and he was claiming it, he was deserving of stoning. The grammar in John 8:58 simply does not allow for a connection to Exodus 3:14. To make such a leap is entirely unwarranted and cannot stand up under examination.

Also, let's say, for the sake of argument, you are right about John 8:24, and Jesus was actually saying "I Am He." (Compare with Isaiah 43:10) What is your interpretation of that? What did Jesus mean? It was obviously a very serious matter. Jesus said that they were all going to "die in their sins" if they did "not believe that I AM [He]."

Isaiah 43:10 does not use the words in any special sense. God uses ANI HU in a rather normal way, where the pronoun HU refers back to an antecedent. Similarly, John 8:24 takes us back several verses to where Jesus claimed to be "the light of the world."

Also, "I AM HE" was a title/name of YHWH in the Old Testament (Deuteronomy 32:39, Isaiah 41:4, 43:10, 43:13, 46:4, 48:12, 51:12, 52:6)

No, it is not. It is a regular use of language that is not at all unique. Keeping them in context there is nothing special or unusual about any one of these texts. You may want to consider this article to see how none of those texts contain any idea of a "name."

Mondo

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Did not read the whole thread - sorry.

Theologians and zealots favoring Trinitarian ideas say the Bible confirms that Jesus is part of the Godhead.

Theologians and zealots favoring Non-Trinitarian ideas say the Bible confirms that Jesus is not part of the Godhead.

Jesus himself says that the importance lies with understanding his position, not his nature;

"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" John 14:6

For me, that starts and ends the debate -

Jeff

• BelieverInJesus
    BelieverInJesus

A M E N ! ! !

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

I say Amen too, and what`s more: That is probably what the early christians would say too. They focused their worship around Christ. Read thru what the early church fathers wrote! They wrote page up and page down about Jesus Christ, as their worship was focused on the God to them, Jesus Christ. Open up a Watchtower-magazine: Page up and page down about Jehovah. That they have now started calling themselves "Jehovahs Christian Witnesses" is a mockery of christianity.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Mondo1 said:

I did not make a personal attack, I made a statement of fact. Scholarship and exegesis are lacking. For an example, from the following link we find this: http://www.macgregorministries.org/jehovahs_witnesses/jesus_god/jesus_is_god.html

Again in Mark 15:39 The centurion said of Jesus. while He was on the cross. "TRULY THIS MAN WAS THE SON OF GOD.' A look at the Greek shows that there is no article before the word "God." But Jesus was not the son of someone who was "god-like." Rather. He is the son of "God.' In this case the rule that applies is the rule that predicate nouns take the article if they follow the verb. And since "God' or 'Theos' precedes the verb, it has no article, just as in John 1:1 above.

Talk about entirely importing something unrelated. God would be the genitive QEOU, it would not be a preverbal anarthrous predicate nominative ala John 1:1c. And yet they use this to "disprove" the translation of "a god" in John 1:1? This is poor scholarship. It is unresearched and it is the use of a wanna-be argument when there is no argument to be made.

I haven't had time to check the facts on that yet. I will reply as soon as I have done so. Mondo1 said:

Yes we are under the moral law, but this is not a matter of morality. Do we observe the Sabbath? No! We are not to worship idols, as the NT makes very clear (1Joh. 5:21), but Jesus is not an idol, he is the Son of God. Hebrews 1 presents a command from God to the angels to worship Jesus. God is making the command, so it is to be obeyed.
    I ask you again, what is your definition or explanation of what an idol is, as described in the New Testament? Also, is Jesus an angel, a human, or what? Also, please explain exactly what you mean by "worship" when you say that Jesus should be worshiped. Do you mean that Jesus should be worshiped "just as" The Father is worshiped (John 5:23, Revelation Chapter 5), or do you mean that He should be worshiped in a lesser degree than The Father is? You said that Jesus is an exalted creature who should be worshiped along with God The Father. Isn't that by definition polytheism? If not, please explain. The Jewish and Christian faiths have always been monotheistic. Do you worship One God or two Gods? As you correctly stated, God commands all to worship Jesus, but would God ever issue a command that contradicted and violated His previously revealed principles, purpose, and will? You claim that Christians are no longer under God's command from the Mosaic Law to worship only YHWH, and therefore there is no problem for a Christian to worship an exalted creature, as long as God tells you to do it. BUT, God's Command to worship ONLY HIM was not some temporary part of the Mosaic Law that was to be done away with at a later time, it was an ETERNAL PRINCIPLE and TRUTH of GOD. This can be shown from YHWH's statements and commands in the book of Isaiah (which is NOT part of the Mosaic Law) that there was only ONE God by nature, and only ONE God that should ever be worshiped, both now, and forever: Isaiah 42:8 (LITV): I am Jehovah; that is My name; and I will not give My glory to another, nor My praise to engraved images.

Isaiah 43:10 (LITV):

You are My witnesses, says Jehovah; and My servant whom I have elected; that you may know and believe Me, and understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed; nor shall any be after Me.

Isaiah 45:14 (LITV): So says Jehovah, The labor of Egypt, and the goods of Ethiopia, and of the Sabeans, men of stature, shall come to you; and they shall be yours. They shall come after you; they shall cross in chains; and they shall bow to you; they shall plead to you. Surely God is in you, and there is none else, no other God.

Isaiah 45:5

(LITV): I am Jehovah, and there is none else; there is no God except Me. I will clothe you, though you do not know Me,

Isaiah 45:21-24 (LITV):

Declare and bring near; yea, let them consult together. Who has revealed this of old; who has told it from then? Is it not I, Jehovah? And there is no other God than Me; a just God and a Savior; there is none except Me. Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other. I have sworn by Myself, the Word has gone out of My mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, that to Me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear. He shall say, Only in Jehovah do I have righteousness and strength; to Him he comes; and they are ashamed, all who are angry with Him.

Isaiah 44:6 (LITV):

So says Jehovah, the King of Israel, and his Redeemer, Jehovah of Hosts: I am the First, and I am the Last; and there is no God except Me.

Isaiah 44:8 (LITV):

Do not dread, nor be afraid. Have I not declared and made you hear since then? So you are My witnesses: Is there a God besides Me? Yea, there is none. I have not known a Rock.

Those statements are NOT part of the Mosaic Law Covenant. Instead, they are eternal FACTS presented by God Himself! From these statements we learn the following facts: 1:) Only Jehovah is God by Nature. 2:) There has never been another god by nature and there never will be. 3:) Only Jehovah should be worshiped (Isaiah 45:21-24) 4:) Jehovah is The First and The Last, which means that He was The First and Only God by Nature. 5:) Jehovah is the Only Rock. (The Apostle Paul said Christ was the Rock that went with Israel) 6:) Jehovah will never share His glory with another. And yet, you claim that God violated His own principles and His own TRUTH as revealed in Isaiah (that He was the only One worthy of worship and that He would never share His glory), by commanding all to worship an exalted creature who shares Jehovah's glory. And, I ask you once more, can you show any Scriptural support showing that Jehovah ever did away with His commands and His truth that He alone is worthy of worship and that He alone is God by Nature, just like God did away with the Sabbath laws for Christians? Mondo1 said:
    Which in context is dealing with God vs. idols. Of course all things originate with God and so he does it "by himself," but doing it by himself does not stop him from making use of his own creation. God made use of his own creation to create many things, including gravity, various gasses, etc. Even with the creation of man he used dirt and water. To say God made use of his own creation does not contradict the verse, but if somebody or thing that wasn't his creation was involved, that indeed would contradict it.
    What was the point of God saying "No one helped Me create"? Why would He even say that if, as you claim, God did indeed use others to help Him create? Here's an illustration for you to ponder: Bill Gates can say "I built Microsoft." That would not be a lie. But, if Bill Gates were to claim "I built Microsoft ALONE, ALL BY MYSELF, NO ONE HELPED ME," he would then be a liar, because hundreds of people have helped to make Microsoft what it is. King Solomon could say "I built the Temple." That would not be a lie. But if Solomon claimed "I built the Temple ALONE, ALL BY MYSELF, NO ONE HELPED ME," he would have been a liar. Do you see the point I am making? If YHWH had simply said "I created all things," then yes, it would have been possible for Him to have used another creature to help create. But, since YHWH proclaimed that He created all things ALONE, ALL BY HIMSELF, and NO ONE HELPED HIM, then there are only the following choices to believe in: Option 1:) Jehovah did create all things alone, by Himself, and no one helped Him, and the New Testament accounts about God creating all things through Jesus are false. (John 1:3, Hebrews 1:10, Colossians 1:16) This option would require you to throw away the New Testament as false teaching which made God out to be a liar. Option 2:) Jehovah did NOT create all things alone, instead He did create all things through an exalted creature. That would make Jehovah a liar because of what He said in Isaiah 44:24. Since God cannot lie, then this option is not a valid choice. Option 3:) The Father and Jesus (and The Spirit) are The One True God (Jehovah) by Nature and this One True God created all things ALONE, BY HIMSELF, and NO ONE HELPED HIM. Which option do you choose (or do you have another option?)

Mondo1 said:

Take a look at Acts 3:13, you'll find it alludes back to Exodus 3:15, and we see that the speaker there (and thus also in 14) was not Jesus at all, but it was the Father.

True, in that Verse Peter applies the title "God of Abraham and Isaac and Jacob" to The Father. This does NOT exclude Jesus from also being the "God of Abraham and Isaac and Jacob." For example: You believe that The Father is Lord, don't you? Yet, the New Testament says that Jesus is "The Only Lord" (Jude 1:4) and that there is only One Lord for Christians, Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 8:6), and that Jesus is the "One Lord" (Ephesians 4:5). The fact that Jesus is the ONLY Lord and the ONE Lord does not exclude The Father from also being the One Lord. In the same exact way, when the Bible calls the Father "God" it does not exclude Jesus from also being "God." I'll comment more soon, a lot more. But tonight, I've got to go to bed and get some sleep. I hope and pray that God will open your eyes to the truth of His Holy Scriptures and see the glorious truth of WHO Jesus Christ truly is.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Mondo1,

I did read that web page you told me about (in reference to Jesus' "I AM" statements). I will comment more on that soon. I would also like to ask you to look at a web page refuting the arguments listed on the web page you gave me. Here is the web page:

http://www.geocities.com/adaniels700/gospeltruths.html?1067540543700

Also, here is another web page I recommend that you read:

http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZ142.HTM#11)%20JOHN%208:58

Here is a short comment on some quotes from the web page you gave me:

Quote from http://www.scripturaltruths.com/jesus/iam/ :

Looking to Isaiah 46:4 what we have just discussed can be an issue if we are not careful. God spends the first two verses of chapter 46 explaining that the idols of the nations are helpless. They cannot provide any salvation at all. God then comes back stating: "Even to old age I am he". Who is he? When we note that the context discusses the idols’ inability to deliver, we find that this text most naturally refers back to that which was "previously specified". From Isaiah 45:21 we find that God explains himself to be "a just God and a Savior". Only Jehovah can help his people, and he will deliver them for all time. By his doing this he demonstrates that he truly is the just God and Savior that he previously spoke of. In other words, none of these idols can save, for they are not truly gods. Yet Jehovah is God and he is the one that can save.
    The final text within Isaiah that is necessary for our consideration is 48:12. Here God simply states the words "I am he". Who is he? The context discusses God as the deliverer of prophecy. In the past he had warned his people of coming events and they proved true. With Israel he has now done the same but they have not listened to him. They have disregarded what he has said. Nevertheless, he knew of these things and told them. Here, the pronoun is used to reference that which was "previously specified", finding Jehovah restating that he was the one that did these things. In other words, God is stating: "I am the same one that did these things."

MY COMMENTS: The immediate context of Isaiah 48:12 has Jehovah declaring that He is The First and The Last who will never share His glory with another. Isn't it possible that that was the meaning of God's use of "I Am He" in the book of Isaiah? If so, isn't it also possible that Jesus meant the same thing in John 8:24 when He said "If you do not believe that I AM [He], you will die in your sins"?

That quote says that God, when He said "I Am He" in Isaiah 48:12, meant "I am the same one who did these things." Isn't it possible that this is what Jesus meant in John 8:24, that Jesus was "The Same One" (YHWH)? After all, The Father Himself, in Hebrews 1:12, says that Jesus is "The Same One" who never changes (which is the exact wording applied to YHWH in a prayer in Psalm 102)?

Also, I haven't read this entire thread, and I have a few things I am curious about:

That website that you gave me a link to, is that your website?

Are you a Jehovah's Witness? (some of your beliefs seem exactly the same as the Witnesses' beliefs, while others seem different)

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Yes, he`s a jehovahs witness.
    About the "name of God": Mondo1 mentioned that the name is not really "I am...etc", but that it is derived from the verb "Ha-Wah" ("to become"). This is correct, but it only presents a part of the whole picture. In the mind of the greeks writing the NT (and reading it), terms like "I am" draws directly on the passages from the OT referring to Yahweh (as shown in Undisfellowshippeds quotes). The grammatical origin of the name is not the same as the (semantic) meaning of the name, in the minds of the writers and readers of the NT-texts 2000 years ago.

• Mondo1
    Mondo1

UnDisfellowshipped,

I am aware of both of those links, and it looks to me as though the Scripturaltruths article addresses the issues they have raised (specifically, the gopseltruths one, which apparently through revision as there is a revised date on the article that post-dates the date of posting.)

MY COMMENTS: The immediate context of Isaiah 48:12 has Jehovah declaring that He is The First and The Last who will never share His glory with another. Isn't it possible that that was the meaning of God's use of "I Am He" in the book of Isaiah? If so, isn't it also possible that Jesus meant the same thing in John 8:24 when He said "If you do not believe that I AM [He], you will die in your sins"?

The meaning of "I am he" is exactly the same as it would mean if anyone else used it. It is simple grammar. It is not any type of proper name as the article demonstrates in context.

That quote says that God, when He said "I Am He" in Isaiah 48:12, meant "I am the same one who did these things." Isn't it possible that this is what Jesus meant in John 8:24, that Jesus was "The Same One" (YHWH)? After all, The Father Himself, in Hebrews 1:12, says that Jesus is "The Same One" who never changes (which is the exact wording applied to YHWH in a prayer in Psalm 102)?

The problem you face is that there is no basis in making that jump from one text to the other. In John 48:12 God is saying something specific, and in context nothing indicates that Jesus was making that same jump. In fact, the Jews did not understand it that way, they understood it as normal grammar for in response they ask who he says he is. Using it as normal grammar, this response is entirely appropriate.

Also, please explain exactly what you mean by "worship" when you say that Jesus should be worshiped. Do you mean that Jesus should be worshiped "just as" The Father is worshiped (John 5:23, Revelation Chapter 5), or do you mean that He should be worshiped in a lesser degree than The Father is?

I would argue it is to the same degree, but based upon different reasons.

You said that Jesus is an exalted creature who should be worshiped along with God The Father. Isn't that by definition polytheism? If not, please explain. The Jewish and Christian faiths have always been monotheistic. Do you worship One God or two Gods?

This isn't entirely true, but irregardless, we are dealing with a non-Biblical term that is used to describe ones preconcieved ideas of Biblical theology. Instead of trying to define it and then determine what the Bible teaches, let us find out what the Bible teaches and then define it.

As you correctly stated, God commands all to worship Jesus, but would God ever issue a command that contradicted and violated His previously revealed principles, purpose, and will? You claim that Christians are no longer under God's command from the Mosaic Law to worship only YHWH, and therefore there is no problem for a Christian to worship an exalted creature, as long as God tells you to do it.

Correct. If God tells you to do something, you do it! The key is this. It was necessary for God to exalted Jesus for him to receive it. Thus, Jesus could not be God, for Jesus does not receive it without this act of God.

BUT, God's Command to worship ONLY HIM was not some temporary part of the Mosaic Law that was to be done away with at a later time, it was an ETERNAL PRINCIPLE and TRUTH of GOD. This can be shown from YHWH's statements and commands in the book of Isaiah (which is NOT part of the Mosaic Law) that there was only ONE God by nature, and only ONE God that should ever be worshiped, both now, and forever:

This is an arbitary classication. Due to the Sabbath references throughout Scripture one could just as well argue the same for it, though we know it is not true.

Those statements are NOT part of the Mosaic Law Covenant. Instead, they are eternal FACTS presented by God Himself! From these statements we learn the following facts:

Actually they are statements contrasting the Almighty with idols, which has nothing to do with Jesus or any others that are not idols.

And yet, you claim that God violated His own principles and His own TRUTH as revealed in Isaiah (that He was the only One worthy of worship and that He would never share His glory), by commanding all to worship an exalted creature who shares Jehovah's glory.

No, I'm claiming that you are taking those verses out of the context of idols and importing it into the context of everyone. That is exegetically unsound.

And, I ask you once more, can you show any Scriptural support showing that Jehovah ever did away with His commands and His truth that He alone is worthy of worship and that He alone is God by Nature, just like God did away with the Sabbath laws for Christians?

I've already shown that with Hebrews 1, Phil 2 and Revelation 5 for worship. I would agree that he alone is God by nature, with that captial G as in the one who alone is from all eterinity and uncreated.

What was the point of God saying "No one helped Me create"? Why would He even say that if, as you claim, God did indeed use others to help Him create?

You are adding the word "helped," and that is not what I am claiming. You are discussing a helper, I am discussing the means. The means that God used was his Son, his son was not a helper because his son was his own creation.

Do you see the point I am making? If YHWH had simply said "I created all things," then yes, it would have been possible for Him to have used another creature to help create. But, since YHWH proclaimed that He created all things ALONE, ALL BY HIMSELF, and NO ONE HELPED HIM, then there are only the following choices to believe in:

Your analogies do not accurately represent God's situation, for God created all he made use of, while Bill Gates would not have, etc. We know that God has made use of various things such as gravity, gasses, etc, etc, to bring about the formation of the universe and the earth. This was his making use of his own creation. It doesn't mean that it all did not originate with him, it simply means that he used what he himself made. It proved to be *how* he did it. Now in the context of Isaiah, God is refuting the idea that any of these idols had any involvement in creation.

Which option do you choose (or do you have another option?)

I have provided the third option. Now what you do not realize is this. According to Brown, Driver and Briggs, God's use of language in Isaiah 44:24 parallels what Jesus said in John 5:30. The difference is that while God claims that all originates with him here, Jesus says that nothing originates with him there. Therefore, Jesus cannot be the God that says all originates with him because noting originates with him!

True, in that Verse Peter applies the title "God of Abraham and Isaac and Jacob" to The Father. This does NOT exclude Jesus from also being the "God of Abraham and Isaac and Jacob."

Yes it does, because Jesus is said to be "his servant." He is the servant of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, meaning he cannot be a person of that God.

For example: You believe that The Father is Lord, don't you? Yet, the New Testament says that Jesus is "The Only Lord" (Jude 1:4) and that there is only One Lord for Christians, Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 8:6), and that Jesus is the "One Lord" (Ephesians 4:5). The fact that Jesus is the ONLY Lord and the ONE Lord does not exclude The Father from also being the One Lord. In the same exact way, when the Bible calls the Father "God" it does not exclude Jesus from also being "God."

I *love* this example, because it shows how Trinitarian exegesis falls apart. By this argument the elder of the 24 that the apostle John identified as his Lord (KURIE MOU) in Revelation 7:14 must also be that one Lord too. The fact is, Jesus, not the Father, is our One Lord, because God made him Lord and gave him that position. (Acts 2:36) The Bible teaches this and specifically says he is, but Trinitarians want to come in and say the Bible is wrong and in fact all three are, when Scripture plainly states that he is the "one Lord" not another and another is the "one God" and now him.

Mondo

• Mondo1
    Mondo1

Hellrider,

You state: Yes, he`s a jehovahs witness. About the "name of God": Mondo1 mentioned that the name is not really "I am...etc", but that it is derived from the verb "Ha-Wah" ("to become"). This is correct, but it only presents a part of the whole picture. In the mind of the greeks writing the NT (and reading it), terms like "I am" draws directly on the passages from the OT referring to Yahweh (as shown in Undisfellowshippeds quotes). The grammatical origin of the name is not the same as the (semantic) meaning of the name, in the minds of the writers and readers of the NT-texts 2000 years ago.

This is entirely unsound and, quite simply, untrue. The words EGW EIMI are normal Greek and in no way call to mind the OT use of the language. For example, in John 9:9 the blind man clearly makes use of the words. One of the most interesting texts, IMO, is the use of EIMI by Paul himself when he says "I am what I am." If one wanted to argue for a present tense rendering of Exodus 3:14, this would be the closest parallel to it within the New Testament and the words are spoken by Paul! (1Cor. 15:10) While Jesus reguarly makes use of EIMI with an implied predicate, EGW EIMI is clearly used by Jesus and others within the NT with a supplied one. (Act. 10:21; 22:3) There is no difference between such cases, other than sometimes a predicate is supplied and other times it is supplied, and yet in none of them are they ever some type of Old Testament allusion.

Mondo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit