Who is Jesus? Is he God?

by BelieverInJesus 396 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mondo1
    Mondo1

I was thinking about my post and I thought I should clarify something.

I would agree that the substance is eternal. I would disagree that the life is eternal. In other words, Jesus Christ did not always exist, but I believe God formed him of his own substance, of his own being. Once formed, God gave him life. Hence, according to the most ancient punctuation of John 1:4, we read: "What came to be in him was life and the life was the light of men." I believe that after God formed him he then gave him life, and that life came to be in him, much like in the creation account of Adam. We are told that "the life was the light of men" for in the life coming into this one, he created the one that would come to be the Messiah, who is identified as such.

When I say that I agree the substance is eternal, I mean that only to the extent of where it originates. It is not made from nothing, but it is made from God's own substance, which is in itself eternal. Obviously the act of it being made means that Jesus' being was not eternal, but being that it comes from God's own being, it is derived from the eternal.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

On post one. I read the emphasis of verse 1, 2 as being on God, as it starts with Him. On verse 3, 4 the emphasis shifts to Christ, as the "He" clearly refers to him, as I'm sure you agree. While we might not agree on who possesses the power, we pretty much agree on the rest of it.

On Post two. With the way you appear to be reading the texts it would be far simpler to say that God procreated than created the Son. Do you have any issues with that concept?

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

It`s so good to see that you are coming along, Mondo. You have now admitted that Jesus is of the same substance as the Father, that Jesus "came out from" the Father. You believe that this happened at a point in time, and that he has not always "glowed" from the Father, correct? You are now on your way to trinitarianism. The only thing you now have to accept, is that the Son has always "glowed" from the Father, like the rays from the sun, for eternity. When admitting this, you are, by definition, accepting the deity of Jesus Christ, and that would make you a christian and a trinitarian. In the words of...

Irenaus 120 - 200 AD: "The Word, namely the Son, was always with the Father; and that Wisdom also, which is the Spirit, was present with Him, anterior to all creation.”

Clement of Alexandria 153-220 AD: “the Son of God, being, by equality of substance, one with the Father, is eternal and uncreated."

Tertullian 145 - 220 AD: “ Bear always in mind that this is the rule of faith which I profess; by it I testify that the Father, and the Son, and the Spirit are inseparable from each other… and that the Father is one, and the Son one, and the Spirit one, and that They are distinct from Each Other. All are of One, by unity of substance; while the mystery of the dispensation distributes the Unity into a Trinity, placing in their order the three Persons – the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost: three, yet of one substance, and of one condition, and of one power..."

Stay on the forum, you`re getting there, slowly but surely.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Mondo1,

I have been very busy recently with personal/family/work matters, and that is why I have not been posting here the last week or so.

LittleToe said to you:

Again, I acknowledge that this isn't your personal conviction on the matter. Hopefully you'll see by now that that isn't the aim of my exchanges with you. I'm simply really enjoying the discussion and your point of view. You've evidently put some thought into the subject, beyond the mere "read and underline" attitude of many rank and file JWs. It's refreshing to see.

I, too, would like to commend the fact that you do not just blindly accept what other people say (such as the Watchtower Society, and even what the Trinitarians teach). No one should just accept what others say (especially about God, Jesus, the Bible, and your everlasting future) without checking all of the facts, doing objective research, and praying that the Holy Spirit guide you into all truth. I encourage you to continue to be like the Noble-Minded Beroeans of Acts 17:11.

I would also like to commend you for confessing the following things about Jesus Christ (The Logos):

1:) Jesus is of the same Substance as The Father.
    2:) Jesus is our Maker and He had a larger role in creation than dirt or gravity (though I am still not sure I understand your position on what kind of role He did have).
    3:) Jesus should be worshiped and honored equally with The Father.
    4:) Jesus can be referred to as God.
    5:) Jesus has all of the fullness of the Deity.
    6:) You also admitted that when Jesus said "I AM" in John 8:58, it was possible that this referred to eternal pre-existence.

At least in those 6 points, Trinitarians agree with you. I think it is good to find some common ground.

You still say the following things, which do not agree with what Trinitarians teach:

1:) Jesus was created by God and has not been alive forever.
    2:) Jesus does not have His own uncreated power and Deity.
    3:) Jesus is not the Creator.
    4:) Jesus is a separate Being from The Father.

I will be posting more in reply to some of your earlier statements.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Acadian said:

It doesn't matter !

Did Jesus make a big deal as to who he was? No.

I highly recommend that you go back and read the Gospels (even in the New World Translation if you have nothing else). Look and see for yourself that Jesus said that THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE OF ALL TIME was determining WHO Jesus was:

Matthew 16:13-17 (NLT 2nd Edition): When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?”? “Well,” they replied, “some say John the Baptist, some say Elijah, and others say Jeremiah or one of the other prophets.” Then he asked them, “But who do you say I am?” Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Jesus replied, “You are blessed, Simon son of John,?? because my Father in heaven has revealed this to you. You did not learn this from any human being.

John 6:28-29 (NLT 2nd Edition): They replied, “We want to perform God’s works, too. What should we do?” Jesus told them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.”

John 14:6-11 (NLT 2nd Edition): Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is. From now on, you do know him and have seen him!” Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.” Jesus replied, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and yet you still don’t know who I am? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father! So why are you asking me to show him to you? Don’t you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words I speak are not my own, but my Father who lives in me does his work through me. Just believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Or at least believe because of the work you have seen me do.

John 17:3 (NLT 2nd Edition): And this is the way to have eternal life--to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth.

John 8:24-25, 28, 58 (NLT 2nd Edition): That is why I said that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I AM who I claim to be, you will die in your sins.” “Who are you?” they demanded. Jesus replied, “The one I have always claimed to be. [...] So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man on the cross, then you will understand that I AM he. [...] Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I AM!"

John 4:26 (NLT 2nd Edition): Then Jesus told her, “I AM the Messiah!”

John 13:19 (NLT 2nd Edition): I tell you this beforehand, so that when it happens you will believe that I AM the Messiah.

John 5:21-24 (NLT 2nd Edition): For just as the Father gives life to those he raises from the dead, so the Son gives life to anyone he wants. In addition, the Father judges no one. Instead, he has given the Son absolute authority to judge, so that everyone will honor the Son, just as they honor the Father.Anyone who does not honor the Son is certainly not honoring the Father who sent him. “I tell you the truth, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life.

John 10:28-30 (NLT 2nd Edition): I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me, for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one.”

John 10:36-38 (NLT 2nd Edition): why do you call it blasphemy when I say, ‘I am the Son of God’? After all, the Father set me apart and sent me into the world. Don’t believe me unless I carry out my Father’s work. But if I do his work, believe in the evidence of the miraculous works I have done, even if you don’t believe me. Then you will know and understand that the Father is in me, and I am in the Father.”

John 11:25-26 (NLT 2nd Edition): Jesus told her,“I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying. Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never ever die. Do you believe this, Martha?”

John 16:9 (NLT 2nd Edition): The world’s sin is that it refuses to believe in me.

John 3:14-18 (NLT 2nd Edition): And as Moses lifted up the bronze snake on a pole in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, so that everyone who believes in him will have eternal life. “For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him. “There is no judgment against anyone who believes in him. But anyone who does not believe in him has already been judged for not believing in God’s one and only Son.

John 3:31-36 (NLT 2nd Edition): “He has come from above and is greater than anyone else. We are of the earth, and we speak of earthly things, but he has come from heaven and is greater than anyone else. He testifies about what he has seen and heard, but how few believe what he tells them! Anyone who accepts his testimony can affirm that God is true. For he is sent by God. He speaks God’s words, for God gives him the Spirit without limit. The Father loves his Son and has put everything into his hands. And anyone who believes in God’s Son has eternal life. Anyone who doesn’t obey the Son will never experience eternal life but remains under God’s angry judgment.”

And have you read what the Apostle John wrote about Jesus Christ's identity?

1 John 5:1, 5 (NLT 2nd Edition): Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has become a child of God. [...] And who can win this battle against the world? Only those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God.

1 John 5:10-13 (NLT 2nd Edition): All who believe in the Son of God know in their hearts that this testimony is true. Those who don’t believe this are actually calling God a liar because they don’t believe what God has testified about his Son. And this is what God has testified: He has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have God’s Son does not have life. I have written this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life.

1 John 4:15 (NLT 2nd Edition): All who confess that Jesus is the Son of God have God living in them, and they live in God.

Finally, look at what the Apostle Paul said about this:

2 Corinthians 11:2-4 (NLT 2nd Edition): For I am jealous for you with the jealousy of God himself. I promised you as a pure bride to one husband--Christ. But I fear that somehow your pure and undivided devotion to Christ will be corrupted, just as Eve was deceived by the cunning ways of the serpent. You happily put up with whatever anyone tells you, even if they preach a different Jesus than the one we preach, or a different kind of Spirit than the one you received, or a different kind of gospel than the one you believed.

Romans 10:9-13 (NLT 2nd Edition): If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. As the Scriptures tell us, “Anyone who trusts in him will never be disgraced.” Jew and Gentile are the same in this respect. They have the same Lord, who gives generously to all who call on him. For “Everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved.”

So, do you still believe that it does not matter who you believe Jesus Christ is?

(Scriptures above taken from Holy Bible : New Living Translation. 2nd ed. Wheaton, Ill. : Tyndale House Publishers, 2004)

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

LittleToe, how are you doing? Boy it's good to be back on this website, and it's always good to see your posts on here as well!

I'm just now getting around to replying to your post where you said this:

UnDFed:
    What does it mean to "believe that Jesus is God"?

In my own case I had previously been taught that Jesus was second only to the Father, and one who had provided a ransom for sin. I only had the WTS framework to go by.

In coming to realise that he was more than I had been taught, and desiring to go directly to him, there was an implicit understanding that what I needed was only to be found with him. I can't say at that point I had any genuine comprehension of what God truly was, nor any of the intricacies of I AM. What child of God does?

For that reason I suspect that you may be putting the hard definitions of words and theology above grace. Be careful not to shut the narrow gate...

Good questions, LT! Thought-provoking questions. (there you go, provoking my thoughts again LOL).

When I say that the Bible teaches that a person must believe that Jesus is God in order to be saved, I do not mean that a person has to understand exactly how God could be a Man, or exactly what God is. As the Apostle Paul said in Romans 11:33 (NLT), "Oh, how great are God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge! How impossible it is for us to understand his decisions and his ways!", and as Isaiah 55:8-9 (NLT) says, “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the LORD. “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts." -- no one will ever understand everything about God or His ways or His exact Nature or Being. No one can fathom all of the mysteries of God. The finite mind cannot understand the infinite.

That being said, however, the Bible makes it clear that one must believe certain things about Jesus Christ in order to receive salvation by grace through faith. Notice what the Apostle Paul wrote in Romans Chapter 10:

Romans 10:9-10 (ESV): because if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

Now, most likely, considering the context, what did "Lord" (Kyrios) mean to the early Christians when Paul wrote that? Paul and the other disciples used the Septuagint as their Old Testament, and in the Septuagint, the Greek word Kyrios ("Lord") is used in place of the Divine Name YHWH around 6,000 times! So, it is my belief that Paul was saying that in order to be saved, you must confess and believe in your heart that Jesus is Yahweh, and that He was raised from the dead, especially considering that in Romans 10:13, Paul quoted Joel 2:32 (which said "Everyone who calls on the Name of Yahweh will be saved") and applied it directly to Jesus Christ.

Also, consider what the title "The Son of God" meant in the minds of the 1st-Century Jews, (in the certain way that Jesus used the phrase) as shown in John 5:18 (LITV):

"This was why the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God."

And, also see John 19:7 (EMTV):

"The Jews answered him, "We have a law, and according to our law He ought to die, because He made Himself the Son of God." "

And, Luke 22:70-71 (NLT):

"They all shouted, “So, are you claiming to be the Son of God?” And he replied, “You say that I am.” “Why do we need other witnesses?” they said. “We ourselves heard him say it.” "

Then check out what the Apostle John wrote about Jesus in His Epistles:

1 John 4:15 (ESV): Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God.

1 John 5:5 (ESV): Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

1 John 5:12-13 (ESV): Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

1 John 5:20 (ESV): And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

In light of John 5:18, 1 John 5:20, John 19:7, and Luke 22:70-71, what did John mean when he said that you must believe that Jesus is The Son of God in order to have eternal life within you?

The Apostle Paul wrote that salvation comes only when you call upon Jesus as Lord in faith, and that this faith comes only AFTER hearing the Gospel. (See Romans 10:14).

Paul also taught that you must believe in Jesus Christ's death and resurrection in order to be saved. And yet, how many people truly understand everything about how or why Jesus' death and resurrection were necessary and what He accomplished when they are first saved? But still, to be saved, you must believe that He died for your sins and rose again, even if you don't know exactly how or why.

According to the Apostle John, you must also believe that Jesus is The Christ (The Messiah) to be saved. People may not understand or know exactly what it means when Jesus is called "Christ" or "Messiah," yet the Bible says that people must believe that He is the Messiah to be saved. (See 1 John 5:1 and 1 John 2:22).

John also wrote that in order to be saved, you must believe that Jesus truly became a real Human Being. Now, no one understands exactly how God became a Man (this is a huge mystery), but the Bible says that we must believe it in order to be saved. (See 1 John 4:2-3 and 2 John 1:7)

It is my understanding of the Scriptures, that this is how salvation works:

1:) God The Father draws a person to Jesus Christ (John 6:44) and the Holy Spirit enlightens that person to be able to understand basic spiritual things (the things of the Gospel message which are required for salvation), at least to a certain degree (Hebrews 6:4).

2:) That person, once he has heard or read the Gospel message, perhaps searched the Scriptures or otherwise investigated the facts about Christianity (Acts 17:11), and has been drawn by The Father and enlightened by The Spirit, then makes his decision -- he either receives or rejects Jesus and His Gospel of salvation. (A person may delay and put off his decision for many years -- and a person who rejects Christ at one time in his life may end up receiving him before he dies, just look at Manassah).

Now, once God has enlightened a person, if that person is like the Apostle Thomas and he is truly searching for the truth about God, and he just needs more information and facts in order to be sure and relieve his doubts, then God will not reject such a one, but instead God will make sure that this person receives the necessary facts and information to make a decision to receive or reject Christ's free gift of salvation by grace through faith. (See Psalm 9:10; Matthew 7:7; 1 Chronicles 28:9; Hebrews 11:6)

The Bible also says that no one will seek God on his own without God drawing and enlightening him first (Psalm 53:2-3).

Jesus saved the thief on the cross next to him, and most likely this thief did not have a real great understanding of how Jesus could be God or Lord or Savior, however, it does appear that God revealed to him a divine revelation about Jesus, because just prior to his being saved, he was reviling Jesus along with the other thief. According to certain Bible Translations, such as the King James Version, Analytical-Literal Translation, English Majority Text Version, Literal Translation of the Holy Bible, and Young's Literal Translation (1898), the thief acknowledged Jesus as "Lord."

Even if the thief did not confess Jesus as "Lord" with his mouth, it is clear that the thief trusted in Christ as a King, and as the One who had the power to save him and resurrect him, and he prayed directly to Jesus for salvation.

God also revealed the necessary facts about who Jesus was directly to the Apostle Peter. (See Matthew 16:16-17).

So, bottom line is, these are the points I am trying to make:

1:) To be saved you must believe that Jesus is God, Lord, Savior, Christ, and that He came as a real Human Being to die for your sins and rise from the dead.

2:) You do not have to understand all the details, or how everything fits together, or exactly how God became a Man, or how Three Persons can be One God. We never will understand it all completely. God is infinite and we are finite.

3:) If God is drawing a person to Jesus, and that person truly wants and desires to know Him, God will bring that person to the truth.

4:) To be saved a person must repent, and come directly to Jesus, and call upon Him as the Lord of his life, to trust in Christ completely for salvation, and in Christ ALONE. Not any good works or anything he has done or will do.

When I was born again and saved by Jesus in July 2001, I had come to the realization that Jesus was God, but I did not know exactly what that meant or how that could be, or what His relationship was to the Father and the Spirit exactly. I even continued to struggle with the idea of the Trinity for a while after I was first born again (after being brought up as a JW for 19 years). But I did know that the Bible said Jesus was God (John 1:1; 20:28) and that to be saved I had to pray TO Jesus, to repent, and trust in Him with all my heart and soul and mind -- to give my life over to Him.

I continued to pray earnestly for help in understanding the truth about the Deity of Christ and the Trinity, and I have studied those subjects more than any other subject, and I am so thankful to my Lord Jesus Christ for guiding me into the wonderful truth of His Holy Scriptures. Amen.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

The Early (Pre-Nicene) Church Fathers taught that Jesus Christ was God, who has always existed, and there was never a time when He did not exist with The Father. (The following quotes were taken from various websites and/or books. One website in particular that I found a lot of quotes on was http://www.catholic.com/library/Divinity_of_Christ.asp -- and no I am not a Catholic)

Quotes from IGNATIUS (go to this web page to find out who Ignatius was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignatius_of_Antioch ):

"Ignatius, also called Theophorus, to the Church at Ephesus in Asia [...] predestined from eternity for a glory that is lasting and unchanging, united and chosen through true suffering by the will of the Father in Jesus Christ our God" (Letter to the Ephesians 1 [A.D. 110]).

"For our God, Jesus Christ, was conceived by Mary in accord with God’s plan: of the seed of David, it is true, but also of the Holy Spirit" (Letter to the Ephesians, 18:2).

"To the Church beloved and enlightened after the love of Jesus Christ, our God, by the will of him that has willed everything which is" (Letter to the Romans 1 [A.D. 110]).

"Continue in intimate union with Jesus Christ, our God."

"I pray for your happiness forever in our God, Jesus Christ."

Quotes from MELITO (go to this web page to find out who Melito was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melito_of_Sardis ):

"It is no way necessary in dealing with persons of intelligence to adduce the actions of Christ after his baptism as proof that his soul and his body, his human nature, were like ours, real and not phantasmal. The activities of Christ after his baptism, and especially his miracles, gave indication and assurance to the world of the deity hidden in his flesh. Being God and likewise perfect man, he gave positive indications of his two natures: of his deity, by the miracles during the three years following after his baptism, of his humanity, in the thirty years which came before his baptism, during which, by reason of his condition according to the flesh, he concealed the signs of his deity, although he was the true God existing before the ages" (Fragment in Anastasius of Sinai’s The Guide 13 [A.D. 177]).

"The Word of God. [...] He is Creator, together with the Father. He is the Fashioner of man. [...] He is God who is from God. He is the Son who is from the Father." (circa A.D. 170)

"Moreover, we are worshipers of His Christ, who is truly God the Word, existing before all time." (circa A.D. 170)

Quotes from IRENAEUS (go to this web page to find out who Irenaeus was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irenaeus ):

"The Son has been eternally co-existing with the Father." (circa A.D. 180)

"I have also largely demonstrated that the Word, namely the Son, was always with the Father." (circa A.D. 180)

"For not only before Adam, but also before all creation, the Word glorified His Father, remaining in Him." (circa A.D. 180)

"The Father of the human race is the Word of God." (circa A.D. 180)

"Nevertheless, what cannot be said of anyone else who ever lived, that he is himself in his own right God and Lord [...] may be seen by all who have attained to even a small portion of the truth" (Against Heresies 3:19:1 [A.D. 189])

"God, then, was made Man [...]" (circa A.D. 180)

"He is God, for the name Emmanuel indicates this." (circa A.D. 180)

"Christ Himself, therefore, together with the Father, is the God of the living, who spoke to Moses, and who was manifested to the fathers." (circa A.D. 180)

"The Word of God [...] He was Man, and He was God." (circa A.D. 180)

Quotes from CLEMENT OF ALEXANDRIA (go to this web page to find out who Clement of Alexandria was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Clement_of_Alexandria ):

"The Word, then, the Christ, is the Cause both of our ancient beginning—for he was in God—and of our well-being. And now this same Word has appeared as man. He alone is both God and man, and the source of all our good things" (Exhortation to the Greeks 1:7:1 [A.D. 190]).

"Despised as to appearance but in reality adored, [Jesus is] the expiator, the Savior, the soother, the divine Word, He that is quite evidently true God, He that is put on a level with the Lord of the universe because He was His Son" (Exhortation to the Greeks, 10:110:1).

"The Son also existed always, without beginning." (circa A.D. 195)

"The timeless and unoriginated First Principle and Beginning of existences -- the Son -- from whom we are to learn the remoter Cause of the universe, the Father [...]" (circa A.D. 195)

"Solomon also says that before ... all existences, Wisdom had arisen in the Almighty." (circa A.D. 195)

"God [...] [and then Clement refers to:] the Word [...] both are One -- that is, God." (circa A.D. 195)

"The Son is the Cause of all good things, by the will of the Almighty Father." (circa A.D. 195)

Quotes from TERTULLIAN (go to this web page to find out who Tertullian was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tertullian ):

"The origins of both his substances display him as man and as God: from the one, born, and from the other, not born" (The Flesh of Christ 5:6–7 [A.D. 210]).

"That there are two gods and two Lords, however, is a statement which we will never allow to issue from our mouth; not as if the Father and the Son were not God, nor the Spirit God, and each of them God; but formerly two were spoken of as gods and two as Lords, so that when Christ would come, he might both be acknowledged as God and be called Lord, because he is the Son of him who is both God and Lord" (Against Praxeas 13:6 [A.D. 216]).

"He [Jesus] is not on this account to be regarded as an angel -- as a Gabriel or a Michael. [...] Since He is Spirit of God and the Power of the Highest, can He be regarded as lower than the angels? He who is truly God and the Son of God? (circa A.D. 210)

"Christ ... our God" (circa A.D. 207)

Quotes from "THE LETTER TO DIOGNETUS" (go to this web page to find out more about "The Letter to Diognetus": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_To_Diognetus ):

"Truly God Himself, who is Almighty, the Creator of all things, and invisible, has sent from heaven, and placed among men [...] the holy and incomprehensible Word. [...] God did not, as one might have imagined, send to men any servant, angel, or ruler. [...] Rather, He sent the very Creator and Fashioner of all things -- by whom He made the heavens. [...] As a king sends his son, who is also a king, so God sent Him. He sent Him as God." (circa A.D. 125-200)

Quotes from JUSTIN MARTYR (go to this web page to find out who Justin Martyr was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Martyr ):

"The Father of the universe has a Son. And He, being the First-Begotten Word of God, is even God." (circa A.D. 160)

"He [the Son] deserves to be worshipped as God and as Christ." (circa A.D. 160)

"[Christians] call Him the Word [...] they maintain that this Power is indivisible and inseparable from the Father, just as they say that the light of the sun on earth is indivisible and inseparable from the sun in the heavens." (circa A.D. 160)

Quotes from THEOPHILUS:

"At first God was alone, andthe Word was in Him." (circa A.D. 180)

Quotes from HERMAS:

"The Son of God is older than all His creatures, so that He was a Fellow-Counselor with the Father in His work of creation." (circa A.D. 150)

Quotes from HIPPOLYTUS:

"He who was co-existent with His Father before all time, [...] always had the glory proper to Divinity." (circa A.D. 205)

"The Son ... He is co-eternal with the Father." (circa A.D. 205)

Quotes from ORIGEN:

"John also indicates that "God is Light." [...] Since light could never exist without its splendor, so neither can the Son be understood to exist without the Father. [...] How then can it be declared that there was once a time when He was not the Son?" (circa A.D. 225)

More interesting Web pages on what the Early Church Fathers believed about the Deity of Christ are listed below:

http://www.cephasministry.com/jw_faith_of_our_fathers_1.html

http://www.cephasministry.com/jw_faith_of_our_fathers_2.html

http://www.letusreason.org/Trin1.htm

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

After reading those quotes above from the Early Church Fathers, can you believe that the Watchtower Society could distort, lie, and deceive so much about what they believed? This would be one of the major topics to bring up if you ever have discussions with Jehovah's Witness family members, who have been lied to by the Watchtower Society about whether the Early Church Fathers believed that Jesus was God.

Look at the following quotes about the Pre-Nicene Church Fathers from the Watchtower Society:

The Watchtower, April 1, 1992, Page 29:

If you were to read all the words of the Apologists, you would find that while they deviated in some respects from the teachings of the Bible, none of them taught that the Father, the Son, and the holy spirit were coequal in eternity,power, position, and wisdom.

This is also true of other writers of the second and third centuries, such as Irenaeus, Hippolytus, Origen, Cyprian, and Novatian. [...]

Any objective reading of these early church authorities will show that Christendom’s Trinity doctrine was not in existence in their time.

Also, in the next quote, look at how the Watchtower Society lauds Irenaeus as a great hero of the faith who fought AGAINST APOSTATES!

The Watchtower, July 15, 1990, Pages 21-23:

Irenaeus boldly spoke out against erroneous doctrine. For instance, consider what he said in the introduction to his extensive literary work entitled "The Refutation and Overthrow of the Knowledge Falsely So Called." He wrote: "Certain men, rejecting the truth, are introducing among us false stories and vain genealogies, which serve rather to controversies, as the apostle said [1 Timothy 1:3, 4], than to God’s work of building up in the faith. By their craftily constructed rhetoric they lead astray the minds of the inexperienced, and take them captive, corrupting the oracles of the Lord, and being evil expounders of what was well spoken."

The Gnostics (from the Greek word gno´sis, meaning "knowledge") claimed superior knowledge through secret revelation and boasted that they were the "correctors of the apostles." Gnosticism intertwined philosophy, speculation, and pagan mysticism with apostate Christianity. Irenaeus refused to share in any of this. Rather, he embarked on a life-long struggle against heretical teachings. No doubt he was well aware of the need to apply the apostle Paul’s warning: "Look out: perhaps there may be someone who will carry you off as his prey through the philosophy and empty deception according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ."—Colossians 2:8; 1 Timothy 4:7. [...]

While learning under the tutelage of Polycarp, Irenaeus apparently befriended Florinus. Polycarp was a living link to the apostles. He expounded copiously on the Scriptures and strongly recommended adherence to the teachings of Jesus Christ and His apostles. [...]

Although Irenaeus admitted that he was not a good writer, he was determined to expose all aspects of the "evil teachings" of Gnosticism. He quotes and comments on many scriptures and argues masterfully against the "false teachers" of the "destructive sects." (2 Peter 2:1-3) [...]

Irenaeus repeatedly reaffirms belief in "one God, the Father Almighty, who made the heaven, and the earth, and the seas, and all that is in them, and in one Christ Jesus, the son of God, who was made flesh for our salvation."

Read that Watchtower article and then read the quotes from Irenaeus above which showed that he believed that Jesus Christ was GOD.

Of course, the Watchtower Society in the past (1966 to be exact) said that the Early Church Fathers were "heretics" (apostates):

The Watchtower, September 15, 1966, Page 565:

The early fathers [...] Polycarp, Justin Martyr, Tatian, Theophilus, Athenagoras and Irenaeus [...] just who is the heretic? Jehovah’s witnesses who uphold the Sovereign Majesty of Jehovah God as being spirit and utterly different from man and above man, or the clergy of Christendom with their “early fathers” who in effect assert that the Most High God is like puny man? (Num. 23:19)

Also, see the April 1, 2001 Watchtower where the Watchtower Society is once again labeling the Church Fathers as apostates.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

This has got to be the mother of all threads... i'm exhausted...

• designs
    designs

'I use to care but things have changed'- Bob Dylan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit