The JW do not believe in Deuteronomy 18:20-222

by headmath 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• headmath
    headmath

Here is some rubbish from the Awake magazine

Awake! 1993 March 22 pp.3-4 Why So Many False Alarms?

Does the failure of such predictions to come true convict as false prophets those who made them, within the meaning of Deuteronomy 18:20-22? That text reads: "The prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. And in case you should say in your heart: 'How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?' when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak."

There are some who make spectacular predictions of the world's end to grab attention and a following, but others are sincerely convinced that their proclamations are true. They are voicing expectations based on their own interpretation of some scripture text or physical event. They do not claim that their predictions are direct revelations from Jehovah and that in this sense they are prophesying in Jehovah's name. Hence, in such cases, when their words do not come true, they should not be viewed as false prophets such as those warned against at Deuteronomy 18:20-22. In their human fallibility, they misinterpreted matters

End quote

Clearly, the above scripture applies to everyone else except the Jehoover's witnesses

• freetosee
    freetosee

THX thats a good quote, it also shows that the wt leadership knows exactly what it's doing and as it was in russells day the readers are told to trust it more then what they can read directly in the scriptures.

fts

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I just found this quote, thanks to Sunspot:

w975/1p.8IdentifyingtheRightKindofMessenger***

Identifying

theRightKindofMessenger

"I am . . . the One making the word of his servant come true, and the One that carries out completely the counsel of his own messengers."—ISAIAH 44:25, 26.

JEHOVAH GOD is the Grand Identifier of his true messengers. He identifies them by making the messages he delivers through them come true. Jehovah is also the Great Exposer of false messengers. How does he expose them? He frustrates their signs and predictions. In this way he shows that they are self-appointed prognosticators, whose messages really spring from their own false reasoning—yes, their foolish, fleshly thinking!

This is WT from after 1995 changes. I was sick to my stomach when I read Awake! 1993 March 22 pp.3-4 Why So Many False Alarms? but now I understand. The purpose of one is to cover their ass, the purpose of the other is to get people who forgot the fiasco to start putting all their trust in the GB.

Okay, instead of false prophets, they are false messengers. I read the entire series of study articles and they never mentioned any false messages from WT. I was not surprised.

• Zico
    Zico

Thanks for the quote headmath.

It's the same with the scripture in Luke 21:8 where Jesus tells us to stay away from people who say the time is near, that doesn't apply to them either!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Trying to pin these masters of deception down to telling the "truth" makes your head spin....

Speaking of spin.....the WTS is GREAT at spinning things to make them come out smelling like a rose, but the odds are that they can't pull this off forever.

Too many people are wise to them AND their tactics, and with the free information being accessed on the internet---less and less people will be duped by these disgusting charlatans.

The WTS says they don't make statements and/or prophecies in "the name of Jehovah".....therefore they are not held accountable (they think) for the "mistakes" they have made.....

But they will print and teach a doctrine that must be obeyed (according to THEM) or face discipline and shunning.....and they say it is "from Jehovah"....so you'd better listen up.

They smugly figure they have all the bases covered......

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Here is another quote that shows they have one set of rules for them selves and exactly the opposite for everyone else.

Awake! 1968 October 8

"True, there have been those in times past who predicted an 'end to the world' even announcing a specific date. Yet nothing happened. The 'end did not come'. They were guilty of false prophesying. Why? What was missing? Missing from such people were God's truths and the evidence that He was using and guiding them."

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    True, there have been those in times past who predicted an 'end to the world' even announcing a specific date. Yet nothing happened.

The loophole here is that nobody alive today can personally remember a specific date set for the end of the world. They avoided saying the date, just hinted.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Interesting to compare the two quotes...

"True, there have been those in times past who predicted an 'end to the world' even announcing a specific date. Yet nothing happened. The 'end did not come'. They were guilty of false prophesying. Why? What was missing? Missing from such people were God's truths and the evidence that He was using and guiding them."

[Pre-1975 quote basically saying they are being used and guided by God and therefore they cannot be guilty of false prophesying.]

There are some who make spectacular predictions of the world's end to grab attention and a following, but others are sincerely convinced that their proclamations are true. They are voicing expectations based on their own interpretation of some scripture text or physical event. They do not claim that their predictions are direct revelations from Jehovah and that in this sense they are prophesying in Jehovah's name. Hence, in such cases, when their words do not come true, they should not be viewed as false prophets such as those warned against at Deuteronomy 18:20-22. In their human fallibility, they misinterpreted matters

[Post-1975 quote basically saying they don't prophesy at all, just voicing expectations.]

• ballistic
    ballistic

I wonder what decisions were being made by the GB on 1st Jan 1976...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I wonder what decisions were being made by the GB on 1st Jan 1976...

"Let's grab all the money we can and move to the islands."

"Nahh, let's ignore it for awhile then just print some garbage, they'll eat it up.
    We'll probably lose a few, but make millions more on those that stay."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit