Have you ever noticed how "Born-Agains" get angry when you don't believe?

by booker-t 24 Replies latest jw friends

• booker-t
    booker-t

Since you have been out of the JW's have you ever noticed how Born-Again Christians get angry when you don't believe in their "interpretation of the Bible"? It never fails since I have been out for over 15 years when I run across a Born-Again and they don't know my past they will try to force their interpretation down my throat until I show them that I am very versed in the Old and New Testaments. I know all of the scriptures that they will bring up and if I disagree with them then I am going to "Hell" according to them. I never meet a christian that will just say "We have different beliefs about some things but I accept your viewpoint on that passage." If I heard a Christian tell me that I would probably have a heart attack from shock.

• parakeet
    parakeet

***I never meet a christian that will just say "We have different beliefs about some things but I accept your viewpoint on that passage." If I heard a Christian tell me that I would probably have a heart attack from shock.***

There are many very nice Christians on this site who "agree to disagree" with those who don't hold the same beliefs they do. They're more low-key than some posters but definitely worth getting to know.

• Shazard
    Shazard

>"We have different beliefs about some things but I accept your viewpoint on that passage." If I heard a Christian tell me that I would >probably have a heart attack from shock. Common. You want someone who does not agree with you to accept you? How that's possible. I can admit that we don't agree, and that means that I do not accept your interpretation. Or I can accept your interpretation, and then I do agree with you. But you can't have it and eat it!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

parakeet

Note qualifier "Born-Again". Please find someone who self -describes as "Born-Again" AND will grant that another interpretation of a Biblical passage might be valid.

Shazard

Common. You want someone who does not agree with you to accept you? How that's possible. I can admit that we don't agree, and that means that I do not accept your interpretation. Or I can accept your interpretation, and then I do agree with you. But you can't have it and eat it!

Nah, I think what (and please correct me if I am wrong booker) what vbooker is saying is that certain fundamentalist groups, be they Muslim or Christain, refuse to accept that others might have an equalluy valid interpretation of scipriture. That io the difference between common-or-garden belief and totalitarianism.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

A friend of mine was recently saying how he had a 'born again' working for him and how unbearable he was with his judgmental comments. The fundamental Born Agains are as cultish as JWs

• Arthur
    Arthur
    The fundamental Born Agains are as cultish as JWs

Yeah, JWs believe everyone except them are going to be slaughtered at Armageddon. Born Agains believe that everyone except them are going to burn in hell.

I'm wondering if there is a JW-Born Again hybrid religion out there who believe that 6 billion people will be killed at Armageddon; and then burn in hell. That would be a fun group to be around wouldn't it?

• greendawn
    greendawn

Getting upset with those not accepting your arguments is not politically correct in this day and age. That is what the JWs and many other cults do with their members. That's a medieval mentality.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Parakeet,

Prepare to have a heart attack. Just kidding hope you are feeling well. I am a Christian and classify myself as "born again" which I prefer to say "spirit anointed" and I believe that many scriptures are open to interpretation and not important for our salvation. I have bible discussions with many who believe other than the way I do and do not get upset if we disagree. Most Christians agree with the most important thing and that is Christ died for us and was raised to life again. Other than that, the Apostle paul said "we see through a hazy mirror" meaning there are a lot of things we can percieve but yet do not fully understand.

I know what you mean though. Some Christians get so heated that they personally attack others for disagreeing with them. And they are so closed minded that they cannot even fathom the idea that it could be "they" who got it wrong. Scriptural discussions are good but to say there is only one way to view them is a little dogmatic. I''ve personally been called the devil and evil and ungodly for sharing a different viewpoint from others.

I'd like to think that this is not the norm for Christians to do but sadly, I see this dogmatic legalism a lot more often lately. I usually tell people when this happens that we will have to just wait and see. We could find out that we both got it wrong. Lilly

• parakeet
    parakeet

lovelylil: ***Parakeet, Prepare to have a heart attack.***

Lilly, the first paragraph of my post was a quote from booker-t's initial post. My second paragraph was a defense of those Christians on this site who are not aggressive about their beliefs. In fact, I was thinking of you when I wrote it! If more born-again (spirit-directed) Christians were like you, we wouldn't have threads like this one. :-)

• Dansk
    Dansk

Where's LT?

Ian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit