Shunning mom is floored by UN scandal..first she's heard of it.

by restrangled 24 Replies latest jw friends

• whyizit
    whyizit

Where would I go?

This is a reference to the way the WTS misquotes John 6:68, making it seem that it is talking about what organization can you go away to? But that is not what this Scripture is talking about. It says "to WHOM shall we go away to", and it follows with the answer. "YOU" (Jesus).

The context of this passage is clear if you start at verse 25. All the way through, Jesus is telling how we are suppose to come directly to Him. That is how the Father arranged it. You have to deal with Jesus first. Directly. (see vs. 35, 37, 39,40,44,45,etc...) In vs. 53, Jesus is telling them that you have to eat His flesh and drink His blood, which some of the people found very offensive. Resulting in some of them falling away, because they couldn't bring themselves to do such a thing. As you can see, this Passage has nothing to do with an organization or religion. It has everything to do with coming to Christ.

Most JWs that I know do not realize this, because it was taught differently. It was taught to be an organizational verse, pointing to the WTS, rather than about Christ.

That is just an observation. It may be very freeing to your Mother if you study the Bible with her, without any other publications, just read IT. Especially Galatians 4 and Romans 8. Those seem to be real eye openers from what I understand. I pray the best for you and your loved ones!

• Quandry
    Quandry

Restrangled

You should expect your mom to defend the WTS. I am sure that a couple of years ago I would have done the same thing. Then, later, I would think about it, and have doubts start in the pit of my stomach.

Perhaps your mom will think about it. If it was no big deal, then why disfellowship people merely for asking about it? I wonder if your mom could ask some of the elders in the congo about this issue.

Having your husband ask interesting questions about the history of the WTS is great.

Never give up hope.

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine

She also admitted that she almost quit in 1975, but quoted, "Where would I go?"

That is the problem I see every time someone is faced with the real truth. What else is there? This is the trap that most cults use in keeping members tied in to a "family" atmosphere. They train you to believe that leaving the org. would be like moving to a new country.

Don't get discouraged Restrangled. Don't let those nonsensical arguments beat you. Unless, of course, you feel it is too late for her. But in my opinion, it is never to late to feel free.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

The fact that she is older and most likely remembers all the hideous pieces of WTS literature we had to place with the public that showed the UN being put in a VERY bad light....and how ANYONE that had ANYTHING to do with religion was standing alongside the disgusting thing....and then the WTS has the audacity to sign UP with the UN for ten YEARS, behind their followers backs......for a LIBRARY CARD? (supposedly)....it HAS to make some kind of impact on her!

She may not leave because of this....but you can bet that it did not sit well with her despite WHAT defense of the WTS she comes up with!

I wish the best outcome.....and it may just come anyway!

hugs,

Annie

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Wow restrangled,

That's great, that you at least got her to listen to you!! She may begin to listen more, now, especially knowing that you were telling the truth about this. Her heart may begin to soften. Please keep us posted.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

OK... so obviously I didn't read your update!! Sorry. It is so frustrating!!! They call the UN the wild beast...yet according to their own teachings the UN supports religion by allowing the Harlot to ride its back! What a joke!! I cannot believe we all were so brainwashed!! Hang in there, she won't forget their involvement, and it may just eat at her when they restudy the Revelation book!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Dune
    Dune

Tried telling my sibling once. They just looked at me like i was an idiot or that it really didnt matter.

• bebu
    bebu

Well, you know the UN was just the wild beast ... but the YMCA is the wild, wild, wild beast!

I'm sure she'd be be leaving if the WTS had joined the YMCA for using the pool.

Really, restrangled, I'm very, very sorry... I just hope that over time (and she doesn't have much left) it becomes unbearable to her. She owes you some big apologies.

((((HUGS)))))

bebu

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I'm not for encouraging anybody to leave; just for being there for them whatever their decision. At least though you'll end up with a mum who is more understanding of your choices.

• deeskis
    deeskis

Restrangled,

Sorry you're feeling down over this. But........your mum phoned you........I reckon that's a big step for her. It'd be huge if she turned around and left straight after hearing about it. She's on the defensive now.

Small steps, with love.........maybe one day she'll wake up to it all, but even if she doesn't want to the main thing is that you could have a relationship with her.

Best wishes

Dee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit