Shunning mom is floored by UN scandal..first she's heard of it.

by restrangled 24 Replies latest jw friends

• looseend
    looseend

She also admitted that she almost quit in 1975, but quoted, "Where would I go?"

i have to agree with my brother on this one "monkeyshine". i know certain people that when it comes down to an argument, its a copout. "i am living a better life" is the general quote. the fact is isolation keeps you from going anywhere. remember a lot of people, i believe anyway, that are still IN have doubts. otherwise, they wouldn't even entertain the possibility of being wrong.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I am sorry to hear that your mother dismissed it so easily. She has enough knowledge (such as living through 1975) to know it is not the truth but is unable to break free from the fear created from the powerful control the WTS has over her, hence the question "Where else would i go?" It is interesting that Mormons and 7 Day Adventists ask exactly the same question. There is an article at http://jwfacts.com/index_files/where.htm that discusses some information that may help you reason with her.

The question is whether you really would want her to leave at her age. My grandparents are both JWs, have their small circle of friends and so I am happy for them to retain their belief. Neither shun me, so to me that is the major consideration. On the other hand, my relationship with my parents has been destroyed by the religion, and I would like to de-convert them, simply so they stop practicing the destructive family relationship that the WTS has imposed upon them. If your mother still freely speaks to you it may be kinder to let her live out her life as is.

• seawolf
    seawolf

Same thing here. I've talked with some witnesses that said about the same thing. I know they've had some doubts but they are just trying to jam it into their head all the crap from the magazines and platform so that they can convince themselves that it's true because they've invested too much into it and have nowhere else to go.

• restrangled
    restrangled

I really wouldn't want her to leave, its all she has. What I do want from her is to acknowledge where I stand and that it is reasonable and to stop defending behavior from the GB that is not tolerated in the masses.

She admitted something to my husband that was very interesting. Her presiding overseer in 1974 had gone to visit Knorr. When the PO got back he told my parents that Knorr had told him the end was definately coming in 1975......now that was a direct quote from a member of the GB about an exact date. After it did not transpire, she wrote the Society about it. She still has her letter and the letter they sent back. I do not know what ithe answer was and I would love to get my hands on that some day. She would not let my husband see it. This is when my father left for good and she had her faith shaken to the core.

r.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I asked my dad once how it felt to see every single thing the Society taught turn out to be wrong. He said: "It's still the best way to live. I couldn't of had a better life.".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit