The God Delusion

by Peppermint 103 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

TopHat: ***Yes, the first Human had to be made whole, and not evolve in little peices over millions of years. Obviously we are all made from the same chemical make up. Dust from the good earth. So I can see how an evolutionist thinks we evolved out of a muddy hole. We are after all nothing more than clay.***

So, the idea of man originating from the primordial ooze is not all that inconceivable? It sounds like you're saying that only difference between the two concepts is that God created man from the ooze a whole lot faster than evolution accomplished it. I fail to see how man originating out of the ooze quickly as opposed to slowly argues for the existence of a creator God.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Tophat

So I can see how an evolutionist thinks we evolved out of a muddy hole. We are after all nothing more than clay.

Not sure how you mean that. The bible says god made us from dirt, which dissagress w the evidence. The genetic evidence points more directly to a simian source for us. Our genetics are about 95% the same as that of chimps. Evolutionists say we had the same ancestor as did chimps.

S

• TopHat
    TopHat

Tophat

So I can see how an evolutionist thinks we evolved out of a muddy hole. We are after all nothing more than clay.

Not sure how you mean that. The bible says god made us from dirt, which dissagress w the evidence. The genetic evidence points more directly to a simian source for us. Our genetics are about 95% the same as that of chimps. Evolutionists say we had the same ancestor as did chimps.

Satanus, Like hydrogen and oxygen, nitrogen can also combine with carbon in lots of different ways. Isn't that what all creatures are chemicaly made of. Isn't the earth made of the same thing? So my point is God made us from the earth and we are made of the same chemical make up. All living things on earth that is. We were told we were made from the earth lonnnnnggggg before the the very IDEA of evolution..

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Do you think Dawkins is the one strapping bombs on his chest and blowing up civillians, assassinating abortion doctors or trying to prevent the teaching of scientific facts in public schools in the name of some fictional deity? Give yourself a reality check.

I always have to chuckle at these kinds of threads where religion is so demonized and science is praised to the hilt. Yes I appreciate what science has given us in terms of quality of life etc. but many seem to forget science has its own darkside. The chemical explosives these that these guys strap on were developed by chemists somewhere, and let's not forget those wonderful chaps in the white lab coats that gave us biological weapons, sarin gas, ICBM's, etc. I have often wondered how a scientist who works on developing a virus that will indiscriminately kill every man, woman and child it is loosed upon rationalizes that is a higher use of science and his vast intellect, how does he sleep at night?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Tophat

We were told we were made from the earth lonnnnnggggg before the the very IDEA of evolution..

Evolutionary ideas predated christianity. Some greek philosophers entertained the idea. Hindu writings contained it before the bible was written.

S

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I was fascinated by the little I saw of his TV show but he didn't seem to have the patience to finish the job when faced with faith(however misplaced) not logic. He seems like many on this board who very quickly descend to exasperation (and rudeness) rather than let the weight of the argument carry. I happened to agree with most of his assertions. If there is a God then He must agree with the world He made otherwise He is a liar and who would want to worship that. If God exist He must agree with the facts though not necessarily with the interpretations. On a personal note funkyDerek said he liked his intelectual integrity of not allowing respect for other's opinions to weaken his words. I think that shows arrogance which is quite a blocker to new ideas. Having a firmly held belief is fine as long as you can let it go when its time to move on. If you give my daughter a piece of bread she'll chew on it but if you then show her a sweet she spits the bread out and takes the sweet. Mostly we don't have that approach to our beliefs and facts - I wonder how Dawkins would react to some alternate proof (if it ever turned up) or whether he'd keep chewing his loaf. A lot of the problem is what do you define God as and then how do you replace that notion with a better one, unfortunately Dawkins identifies an absolutely valid target (fundamentalism causing irrational and socially bad behaviour - such as suicide bombing) and easily beats it using rational logic and the war on goatherd gods but, he doesn't realise that for most believers their God doesn't require irrational action but highly civilised and socially good behaviour. dawkins doesn't seem to make the distinction between the mass of intelligent, critical thinking believers and the fundamentalist. Science alone cannot answer all of our questions - not yet anyway:) Attacking goatherder gods is genius until you realise most christians moved beyond that centuaries ago. My belief accomodates the facts as its root aim is truth however, it doesn't need to agree with every clever man with a good argument that crosses its path.

• TopHat
    TopHat

I know Satanus but Adam and Eve knew where they came from as God told them I am sure, before the Greeks or Hindus and they (Adam and Eve) passed the information down through the generations, therefore Moses put it into the scriptures.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

..and why doesn't the formatting work anymore!!!!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Tophat

The hindu scriptures predate the bible.

S

• TopHat
    TopHat

Do the Hindus predate Adam and Eve? Satanus? That was my point! Read my post again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit