The Uniting of Races ... Credit the Watchtower

by The wanderer 44 Replies latest jw friends

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    I am glad that I had the opportunity to meet people
    of different cultures and backgrounds while I was with the organization. If I had to carry
    something good out of the organization?it was the breaking down of racial barriers.

Here again is the assumption that you would not have experienced this if you were not inside the organization.

The WTS narrows one's experience of the world, not expands it.

How do you know you might not have seen a 'breaking down of racial barriers' within a different church, or at college or university?

• restrangled
    restrangled

I have to say I agree here. Although I went to an all white KH, the circuit and district assemblys were about 50/50 (black and white).....I always enjoyed the ethnic diversity and was raised to believe we are all the same.

During that same time period the high school I was to attend had terrible race riots with buses being tipped over etc. (Chicago suburbs)...most of my school mates still used the "N" word. There was much hatred, I was appalled.

r.

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Bizzy Bee:

In reply to your question, it is true that I could have
    learned the breaking down of racial barriers at college
    or at another church. The truth of the matter though, is
    that, I learned it through the organization.

However, this does not mean I endorse the organization.
    No, it is still what it is, but even in a bad organization
    something worthwhile can be learned.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• under_believer
    under_believer

I believe that the Society preaches racial integration, and I believe that institutionally it is an integrated, racism-free organization. Like so many things, though, the Society claims the high ground organizationally but does a poorer job of encouraging individuals to follow suit. I saw much racism in the US at an individual level. Nevertheless I attribute my lack of racism to my Witness upbringing. I REALLY bought into that aspect of being a Witness and I am happy I did.

This is similar to the way the Society says that they're a morally clean people. Sure, they boot people out who have indulged in what the Society considers immorality, but at an individual level Witnesses don't seem to be any more moral than the average non-Witness.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

There were several mixed - race marriages in my kh, and all of them seemed to be working well. Racism within the congregation was something I never saw while a jw.

• Gill
    Gill

My parents are white but not English

• Gill
    Gill

As I was saying before being so rudely interrupted my parents are white but not English. There was a part in the book study talking about as the end draws near water quality declining, or being affected blah blah, some green book, which my mother answered. She gave her answer from the book.

A sister, an annointed sister I might add, put her hand up and said: 'If some people don't like the quality of the water in this country, they should go back to the country they were born in!'

Racism certainly exists in the bOrg! But I'm still laughing about that one!

• calico
    calico

I think it depends on what your parents taught you. Before we were even associated with witnesses my parents taught me to love all people. I recall that I never heard racist remarks from my grandparents either--and they were not nice in other ways!

I know plenty of racist witnesses

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Some people are racists, in and out of the org.

I know for sure that there are racist JWs, I had the displeasure to date one of them for two weeks when I was in. He would never admit it, of course, but he constantly made negative comments about black youths on the street when we were driving alone. Assuming that because of their race, they were up to no-good. It made me so uncomfortable and I started thinking about ways to let him off as soon as I could. Some people are just nasty, and cults can't erase such deep character flaws.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Some people are just nasty, and cults can't erase such deep character flaws

I have to disagree with that. My father is from the East Coast and White. Before study with JWs, he was agnostic, and a living, breathing Archie Bunker from All in the Family. During the 40s-50s he would walk into restaurants and Heil Hitler. He truly put all such nonsense behind him. So much so, that during the 70s, he was the only white elder with whom the blacks in our congregation would deal.

The rest of my East Coast family retain such prejudices to this day.

Justitia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit