The Uniting of Races ... Credit the Watchtower

by The wanderer 44 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer
    The Uniting of the Races, Giving Credit where Credit is Due

Although this discussion is going to raise the eyebrows of controversy, it is
    necessary to consider. Having been one of Jehovah's Witnesses for a
    number of years I could not help but notice that there was harmony between
    people of different races.

Did the Watchtower Help in Uniting the Races or was it Propaganda?

In the organization there were certain facts that were undeniable. For example, there were
    a number of mixed marriages and interracial marriages that I suppose, for all intents, and
    purposes, were good and consisted of individuals that would never have met if it were not
    for the organization.

Recognizing the Backlash on this Topic of Discussion

Personally, all things considered equal, I am glad that I had the opportunity to meet people
    of different cultures and backgrounds while I was with the organization. If I had to carry
    something good out of the organization—it was the breaking down of racial barriers.

Please give us your thoughts on this highly controversial issue.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• sir82
    sir82

In my experience, I have encountered quite a bit of racism amongst JWs. The main difference is, as a JW, you learn to hide it better.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Yeah i used to think their wasn't any racism among witness's.

And yes their are mixed marraiges in Jdub land.

but when I heard elders in texas use the n word, and also make racist comments regarding Mexicans, I knew that racism was alive and well in the org.

And what about all those white men on the GB? Only recently have they included a token black man.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I heard racism remarks first hand as a kid,at a Texas assembly..Pretty shocking for a JW kid...OUTLAW

• Satanus
    Satanus

If there is preexisting racism, cults tend to squash it as they do other individualism and free thought.

S

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

if you look back in history did the watchtowers changes in racial unity become publicity for the watchtower when the usa was going thru change as well?

i know waaaaaaay back that the watchtower used to say that black people would be made white in the new system. i dont know but i'd bet that the bragging of unity issues would have been more prevalent during the mid 50s on when it was a big political issue here in the US.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I never noticed racism - and saw loads of mixed race marriages and still do

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle
    I heard racism remarks first hand as a kid,at a Texas assembly..Pretty shocking for a JW kid...OUTLAW

This was my experience too. I was absolutely shocked when i heard an elder speak this way, and I excused the whole incident. But this elder spoke this way on a regular basis, and then i strted noticing other elders making racist comments too, after awhile, I just couldn't excuse it any more. I was raised to believe that we (JW's) were not racists, boy was I wrong.

They give anti-racism lipservice, but do nothing about it when it happens.

I have heard many racist remarks in the org. I have never heard of anyone being hauled in front of a JC for it.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

never noticed racism - and saw loads of mixed race marriages and still do

Your a white boy ain't ya?

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Your a white boy ain't ya?

Dear A Sphere is not a Circle:

I can't speak for Stillajwexelder, but I happen to be white girl, and I DO notice racism in the congregations; however, most of it is from black brothers and sisters who assume everyone is "against" them. Or, brothers and sisters from the Spanish congregation who make fun of "gringos." Despite my whiteness, I am not totally unaware of the challenges faced by persons of color. My daughter is Latina, and I have nieces and nephews who are Portugese, Spanish and Cambodian.

While there is undeniably racial tension in the congregation's between ALL races and cultures, the fact remains that the congregations are more integrated than any other religious organziation of which I am aware. We can discuss the WTBTS's failings ad naseum, but this is one area in which they excel.

Justicia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit