ARE YOU RELIGIOUS BECAUSE YOU'RE AFRAID OF DEATH?

by Dansk 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

This is something that i have wondered for a while. When you decided to fight against a possible death, were you not going against some buddhist principles?

S

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Satanus:

Going against Buddhist principles?? I wrote:

Perhaps the Buddha is right and we each have to work out our own salvation, which may take aeons of time and millions of rebirths?

When I was close to death and fought to recover, why should that be going against any Buddhist principles (remember, I don't belong to any particular Buddhist school because I detest dogma so I'm not truly sure what you're asking?). Looking after my family is paramount with me and I have said many times here that while I wasn't afraid of death (I WAS afraid of the way I might die) I was more afraid of leaving Claire and my children behind.

I was only 51/52 at the time, which I feel is still relatively young, and my wife was 46/47. My youngest child was 15/16. The wonderful thing about true Buddhist teaching is not to have everything turned into a dogma, such as it is a sin to commit suicide, to let oneself die, etc. I chose to live because I love life and love my family greatly. Virtually everyone else does too, of course, but, sadly, some lose the fight and die - not because they didn't want to stay alive but because they had no energy left with which to fight the disease (the disease swamped them).

No one really wants to die, but we all know it is inevitable. Even Buddhists accept that if one is unwell one should receive medication. The Dalai Lama did when he took ill - and there was a large Tibetan medical school in Lhasa before the Chinese invasion. So, what are you asking, exactly?

To a Buddhist life is sacred, including one's own. Indeed, it is considered to be a privileged position to be born human.

Ian

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I can only assume that Satanus is refering to holding anything precious. Isn't the ultimate point of Buddhism to let go of all attachment?

LT, of the "intently interested in where this resurrected thread might go" class

• Dansk
    Dansk
    this resurrected thread

So the Tibetan Buddhists are right after all!

Ian

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Wouldn't it be interesting if we weren't the first species to invent immortality for ourselves?

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I am not religious and if anyone wishes to test out the latter - feel free!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

ARE PEOPLE RELIGIOUS BECAUSE THEY'RE AFRAID OF DEATH?

I think it has alot to do with it.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/143157/1.ashx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit