Do we have the right to tell Iran that they can not have nuclear weapons?

by free2beme 25 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I was looking at a list today, of countries that have nuclear weapons. I always think of the United States, Russia, France and China. What shocked me, were Pakistan, and India also have nuclear weapons. Personally, these are not two countries I would label as stable locations in the world. Pakistan, in particular is known to have government officials that are loyal to the Taliban. Yet, how often do you hear that in the news. Instead we hear about countries like Iran and North Korea. What right do we have, to tell another country, what they can and can not produce? Why should anyone listen to us, when it is their nation and their people. Yes, they might be crazy and fanatical. Yet they are not part of our country, and are not under our control. It would make more sense to me, to put more money into missile defense, and increase border security. Telling these nations that they can not do something, is just going to make them want to do it, all the more.

What do you think, do we have the right to tell other countries what to do?

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

I agree with you, I don't think any country has the right to tell another what they can and cannot do, hey if Pakistan can have them then I think Iran should be allowed to.

IC

• TD
    TD

If by "we", you mean the United States, I would say we have no right.

The non proliferation of nuclear weapons is a matter of international treaty. Iran and North Korea both were signatory states.

• Spectre
    Spectre

Don't you know? America is always right! Unless of course a godless democrat like Clinton is in office.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Right? No, of course not, but it's not really about that. Might? Yep, but used unilaterally, our children will pay dearly for our use of might, and we will too.

The world community as a whole? It has the right to try and contain the spread of nuclear arms. Politics has been called "the art of the possible, the attainable ..."; which is a good reason we should be working to strengthen, not weaken, international bodies and treaties.

If it can be prevented, that's better. What do they want? Well, resources (money) to make safe their countries economically, and security from outside aggressors.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Hey cool I'm acctualy allowed to have a political opinion now...

Think about this, if you know that your suicidal neighbor feels moraly obligated to kill you and your family, and he is trying his best to get a disitigrator grenade, which has only one use, to kill groups of people, do you have the right to steal it from him? Add to that the fact that you live in an area with no law (since there is no galactic police) so you can't expect any kind of protection... you don't have the right per say but as a matter of self preservation, you darn well better make sure that guy can't kill you.

So no, the U.S doesn't have the 'right' to chose who can have nuclear technology, but how stupid would the leader have to be to say,"sure I can stop them but I just wouldn't feel right doing it..."

We know that they feel they should kill the hethens, we are hethens to them, so it would be retarded to sit idly by as they build their bombs.

• ocelot
    ocelot

They shouldn't be allowed to have nukes because they are religious freaks and not a proper government. The Iranian president thinks the apocalypse is due soon and that some islamic imam will return to convert the entire earth to islam.

• Spectre
    Spectre

But ocelot: America shouldn't be allowed to have nukes because its ran by religious freaks and not a proper government. The American president thinks that the apocalypse is due soon and that Jesus will return and bring the rapture.

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

LOL...what a wonderful world, what a wonderful world...

~Merry

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

If not the USA then who ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit