Do we have the right to tell Iran that they can not have nuclear weapons?

by free2beme 25 Replies latest jw friends

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

The countries that have something to gain will support Iran in becoming a nuclear power. The ones that don't will be against it.

• Warlock
    Warlock
    What do you think, do we have the right to tell other countries what to do?

I am not Republican, even though I am conservative and I say "No".

Warlock

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I always think of the United States, Russia, France and China.

The Five permanent members of the Security council have them - here is the order in which countries acquired the technology

United States, 1945

Russia 1949

Great Britain 1952

France 1960

and China 1970.

India and Pakistan and South Africa and Israel followed

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Good question.

Right implies some sort of permission given by some sort of guiding principle.

I guess the claim would be that since we are a legitimately democratically elected government we have the right to tell a dictator since he is just one guy and doesn't (probably) represent the will of his people.

Of course once someone has a nuke, you really can't tell them they can't have a nuke since they now have a deterrent whether you think you have the right or not to tell them.

The problem with the whole "right" thing is figuring out whose guiding principle should be guiding it. Sure you might get some Yankee who says we have the right. But who the hell is going to agree with that who isn't a Yankee?

Maybe a better way to think about it is Cost vs. Benefit coupled with what we Can and Can't do. In fact that is probably a good way to talk about ANYTHING a government does.

So what are the costs of Iran getting a nuke? To us? To the world? What are the benefits?

Once you get that, then ask yourself what can and can't we do about it?

Looking at it from that standpoint, I think it becomes clear that we should pretty much do whatever we can to keep those nutbags from getting nukes. Muslim extremists are like JW's with guns.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Something else I have observed:

If you look at the strategic considerations of nations with nukes, they are almost perfectly analogous to the considerations of individuals with guns.

What I find interesting is that the folks that want to keep other countries from having nukes are usually the folks that want to make getting guns as easy as possible for individuals and vice versa.

Curious.

CYP

• clovis
    clovis

No one should have them period. Since some do I am in favor of not letting anyone else, especially a nut like the Iranian President. What good can possibly come from it? ............. Were not talking GUNS!!!! were talking world changing, major f&^%$*g wepons in the hands of lunitics.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit