episcopalian religion

by BlackSwan of Memphis 27 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I just started reading this book Dance of the Dissident Daughter. The author tells how she went from being a devout baptist to being confirmed in the Episcopalian church.

I am wondering how the Epsicopalian church differs in theology and tradition from other churches.

This author sounds very liberal (I know that word just doesn't sit well with some sorry).

Has anyone gone to one or does anyone know much about it?

thx

• skyking
    skyking

Did you say she now can piss in a pail man! Just joking BAAAAD I know

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

lol skyking. Very funny

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Episcopalians are like Catholics without all the guilt and hangups and papal bull. Sort of like: Catholics who overthrew their king and started a democracy. All religion is just.plain.silly, but theirs is much more positive than most.

My Episcopalian friends like to joke that "wherever two or more are gathered, there shall be fifth" (referencing their penchant for a tasty beverage).

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Episcopalians are like Catholics without all the guilt and hangups and papal bull. Sort of like: Catholics who overthrew their king and started a democracy. All religion is just.plain.silly, but theirs is much more positive than most.

True. About 20 years ago they started to become very liberal.... it's almost a "whatever" attitude.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

We don't, as far as I know, have an Episcopalian church in the UK, but they seem to be similar to the Anglican, or Church of England here in that they are the national church of America. The C of E have done a few slightly - controversial things here in recent years, like appoimting women priests, which I'm personally not against, but many are.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Ohhh, ok. So I take it it's more of the jesus as saviour etc etc. Hm. I just don't know about that right now. I'm leaning against it, but eh, ya never what lies ahead.

My Episcopalian friends like to joke that "wherever two or more are gathered, there shall be fifth" (referencing their penchant for a tasty beverage).

Hm, now that I could go for But hey, I can do that with my husband on Sunday nights with Reverend Homer Simpson.

We don't, as far as I know, have an Episcopalian church in the UK, but they seem to be similar to the Anglican, or Church of England here in that they are the national church of America. The C of E have done a few slightly - controversial things here in recent years, like appoimting women priests, which I'm personally not against, but many are.

Thank you full of doubt now. I had actually wondered if they were directly related or something. Woman as priests is a good thing imo. I think it keeps a good balance of male/female. That's just me though.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Or, as Argus Hamilton once quipped "The Episcopalians have a wine list at Mass. ("33 AD? Now that's a very nice vintage!")"

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    We don't, as far as I know, have an Episcopalian church in the UK, but they seem to be similar to the Anglican, or Church of England here in that they are the national church of America.

uhhhhh, that's not true....not by a longshot. There is no "national" church in America like there is in G.B. In fact, the Episcopalians are down the list a ways as far as membership here in the U.S.

RankReligious BodyYearMembership
    1Catholic Church200266,407,105
    2Southern Baptist Convention200316,400,000
    3United Methodist Church20028,251,042
    4Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints20045,599,177
    5Evangelical Lutheran Church in America20034,984,925
    6Church of God in Christ1991* 4,500,000
    7Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)20013,595,259
    8National Baptist Convention of America19873,500,000
    9Assemblies of God20022,687,366
    10Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod20032,512,714
  • Athanasius
    Athanasius

I hope that I am not the only Episcopalian who posts here. But the Episcopal Church USA, though not a state church in the US, is part of the Anglican Communion as is the Anglican Church of Canada, the Church of England, etc. My ex-girlfriend, who converted from the Roman Catholic Church to the Episcopal Church, liked to call us "Catholic Lite" because our services were similar to the Roman but without all the restrictions. For example Communion is not exclusive, but open to all baptised Christians. Divorced persons are not excommunicated. Both men and women can serve as priests and bishops, something you will never see in the JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit