Probably going to church tomorrow

by fullofdoubtnow 29 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Linda:

It was better than I thought it would be, and I'm glad I went to support Marion...

Good

Well done in both being a true friend, against your own personal desires, and in breaking another taboo

...but it's most likely going to be a one - off for me.

You'd pretty much decided that before you went, and reminded us of the fact throughout most of your posts

I was continually left wondering why on earth you felt you had to fight some kind of obligation, just because you were going once. They are just people, and complete strangers to boot. You don't owe them anything. So you went along to their church one time? Good for you, glad it wasn't too onerous. Maybe you'll be a little less "apprehensive" when the Carol service comes around - hehehe

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi LT,

You are right, of course - I had pretty much decided that today was going to be my one and only visit to a church. Actually, it really was ok, nothing like a jw meeting, and the two of us getting a round of applause half way through was definitely unexpected! It was in many ways an important step for both of us, and one neither of us ever expected to make a couple of years ago. I accept that I am more than a little prejudiced against any religion, from the standpoint of getting involved anyway. I'm not sure if I'll ever lose that prejudice, or ever want to. After all those years as a jw, and the disappointment of finding the sacrifices I made to be one were for nothing, I find it hard to trust religion nowadays. Whether I will always feel that way, only time will tell.

I have no plans to go to that or any other church in the future, but I wouldn't rule it out completely. I will give it some thought, and if Marion needs support in that way again, I will give it without hesitation, if not without apprehension. They were very nice people at the church, and seemed very genuine, none of the false smiles that jws, including myself, used to wear, and they were genuinely welcoming to us, not putting on an act, unless they are very good actors. A couple of them spoke to us for a few minutes after the service and told us how nuch they'd enjoyed seeing us there, and would love to see us there again, so we'll see.

Linda

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Linda:

It's likely to be a one - off for me, I don't know about Marion, that's up to her.
    I have no intention of ever getting involved in another religiion, I'm just going this one time
    I doubt I'll hear anything that will make me feel uncomfortable, or make me want to go again
    I doubt I'll go again
    I have no plans to go to that or any other church in the future, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

I think you're beginning to crack!

Love,

Ian

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    I think you're beginning to crack!

Not really, Ian. I won't be turning up at the curry brandishing a bible and droning on about the evils of "worldly" pursuits etc, that's for sure!

I didn't hate the service, apart from the sermon being pretty boring, and I might go again in support of Marion, but I am a long, long way from making any religion part of my life again. Today was an experience, and not an unpleasant one, but not one I have any concrete plans to repeat any time soon.

• bubble
    bubble

I'd like to go to a church service just out of curiosity.

I don't think I'd be a regular member of any church though.

There's no harm in going just for a look.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Linda:

I won't be turning up at the curry brandishing a bible and droning on about the evils of "worldly" pursuits etc, that's for sure!

Lordy, Lordy, Lordy, thank Gawd for that!!! I'd have to disown you if you did!

Bubble:

I'd like to go to a church service just out of curiosity.

I don't think I'd be a regular member of any church though.

There's no harm in going just for a look.

No harm whatsoever There's a popular misconception that if you peek round the door you've instantly become a member of Babylon the Great. I wonder where we acquired that perception from? Since many of my posts are of a religious/doctrinal nature, and I'm a self-confessed unorthodox Christian, folks perhaps wonder if I'm encouraging them out of personal bias. It's got nothing to do with wanting people to be converted to Christianity, but everything to do with wanting folks to challenge their own implanted prejudices. For everyone who tries it even once I say "congratulations! You've broken another WTS imposed shackle!"

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

It is a BIG step to go to a church for the first time. I'd been there for weddings and funeral services before as a jw, but to go for worship! Whoa! That is a hard step to take. We went for a Easter service our first time and I was very apprehensive. We were invited by a member we met through the public shools and had a nice time. She explained what would happen (southern baptist church) and we found it was not the lair of Satan we had always been told. These were good people full of love for God and praising him. THEY EVEN USED JEHOVAH'S NAME IN THEIR SONG!!!!!! Our jaws dropped as we realized jws aren't the only ones giving him praise. People are nice. There are so many things we are taught as jws that is false. I am glad you at least saw for yourself what it is like and can make up your OWN MIND about what You WANT to do!

We have tried a few different churches ourselves because of a need we feel in us. It has been a real eyeopening experience. Remember in the bible when I think it was Saul was blinded and later scales fell from his eyes so he could see? That is how I have felt. Like I am seeing everything for the first time. The scales have finally fallen off! Whatever you decide to do, congratulations! It is YOUR decision! No one can take that from us anymore.

Kitten Whiskers

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    BTW, when the offering plate is passed it doesn't mean they expect you to drop $ in it. Do it only if you want to. No one will notice and its a lot more respectable than wooden bluebird houses hanging off the wallpaper with CONTRIBUTIONS FOR THE WWW screen printed all over the front of them.

LOL, Bob.

I have to wonder why the are accepting money for the World Wide Web, when they hate it so...? HeeHee

Jeff [of the sorry I brought it up cause I will probably get it now class]

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    I have to wonder why the are accepting money for the World Wide Web, when they hate it so...?

lol Jeff

It would be fun to hear a newbie to the religion ask if www meant world wide web in a kingdom hall!

Actually, the Baptist church Marion and I went to did have a collection plate near the entrance, but no one mentioned it, and it didn't have a label on it, unlike the one's at the kh. People just threw a few coins in as they left at the end of the service, and if anyone didn't contribute, they didn't get stared at.

• heathen
    heathen

a little belated here cause the hard drive crashed ..... but .....

it's a building full of people, not an abattoir full of vampires...

LMAO@that --- That is kinda the picture portrayed of whore of babylon in Revelation . I think it's a search for truth in a world of lies myself and these people will turn you into a spiritual vampire given half a chance . As I said, they get way too political .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit