Probably going to church tomorrow

by fullofdoubtnow 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I've never been a dub, but I'm used to a fairly conservative church experience. A few months ago, I went with a friend to their progressive church...wow, what a difference. Upbeat, contemporary music and a preacher with a sense of humor. It was VERY different, but I liked it. There was a great message that day about loving your neighbors, which are everyone. I left there high as a kite and feeling really good. Bottomline, like the good book says, man was not made for the Sabbath, but rather the Sabbath was made for man. In other words, the Sabbath should be a positive experience to recharge us in this sometimes very difficult life - at the end of the day, for me, that's what is important to God....not where we attend.

• heathen
    heathen

The thing I don't like about most churches is their political influence . I'd be more leary of that than anything since they do support the nation of Israel and are zionist , they also show support for the totalitarian political monster rather than be exclusively pro kingdom of the heavens . Some baptists celebrate holidays and others don't so be sure you know which one you like before getting too involved.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    Some baptists celebrate holidays and others don't so be sure you know which one you like before getting too involved.

Thanks for that Heathen. I have no intention of ever getting involved in another religiion, I'm just going this one time to support my friend who just left the jws. We are going to that particular church because it's close to where I live, and Marion is coming to dinner after we have been to church. I don't know if she will go to church on a regular or semi - regular basis,that's up to her, but it's a total one - off for me. I haven't felt the need to join another religion at all since I quit the wts last year.

I personally would like to pop in just before it starts and leave as soon as it ends, and hopefully we won't get collared by a member of the church as we are leaving, but we'll see how it goes, and maybe post about our experience.

• heathen
    heathen

I know I wouldn't show any support for turning baptist . To each their own . I hope your friend sees it for what it is . I know I was catholic before involvement with the dubbys but never had an incling to return to that . It would be very hard for me to find a religion that I felt comfortable with , I just hate hypocrites . I think religion can show some good but then there's always that cheezee side . Alot of times they do help the poor or elderly but really they don't go to great lengths to do it , if you see that these pastures all feel they need to live a life of luxury with money they raise for the church , alot of them are also child molesting wife beating freaks as well .

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I'm grinning away here thinking about the bundle of prejudices you're exhibiting and are going to be carrying into that church tomorrow. Hopefully a few of therm will be smashed.

To be candid you sound terrified of the prospect. Just try to relax and enjoy the experience - it's a building full of people, not an abattoir full of vampires...

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I'm grinning away here thinking about the bundle of prejudices you're exhibiting and are going to be carrying into that church tomorrow. Hopefully a few of therm will be smashed.

To be candid you sound terrified of the prospect. Just try to relax and enjoy the experience - it's a building full of people, not an abattoir full of vampires...

The word is apprehensive, LT. I can't say I'm looking forward to it, it'll be the first time I've been to a place of worship in over a year, and in that time I haven't really given any thought to going to church at all, I've not felt the need. I doubt I'll hear anything that will make me feel uncomfortable, or make me want to go again, but I will try to be open - minded about it, and if I'm pleasantly surprised, it'll be a bonus.

However it goes, I will post about it when I get back, and I promise to be objective.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I felt like I was betraying Jehovah the first time I went to church. I had been praying to Jesus for three weeks and asking Him to send someone to help me find a place where I could worship God the way He wants to be worshipped. A man I barely knew invited me 'out of the blue' to his church. It is 25 miles from home but I said, "OK" before I realised the church has a 180 foot high cross that can be seen from the interstate on its roof. I was scared Jehovah was going to strike me dead on the spot when I walked in the building.

I encountered:

No love-bombing

No satanic garb

No requests for $

I found:

Praises to Jesus.

A sermon that was all about surrendering to Jesus.

Plenty of prayers and song during the 45 minute service.

A lot of outreach programs that really help the community.

A huge church that was full of friendly people that makes it seem small.

Young (5 years up) and old having a good time during worship.

A caring nursery staffed by members of the church who alternate so everyone gets an opportunity to minister to young children so the parents benefit from the worship service.

So unlike Watchtowerdom.

Sit back and enjoy yourself.

BTW, if you ever get a chance, visit a predominatelty black congregation's worship service.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Well, Marion's here, and we're off to church in about 30 minutes. I have mixed feelings about going, but she is looking forward to it, in a way it's a freedom thing for her. I will post about how it goes when I get back.

• nelly136
    nelly136

i've been to some churches, they were a lot more relaxed and friendly than the meetings, the music was cool and no bolts of lightning came and vaddddoooooooomed me in my seat, rsi of the arse struck about 5 mins into the service and i still had trouble struggling to stay awake for the duration.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

We just got back. The service lasted just over an hour, and it was ok i suupose. There were a few songs and prayers, then one guy spoke for about 25 minutes, which I found a bit boring. We actually got welcomed though, by the guy who seemed to running the meeting, when he pointed out to the flock that there were a couple of visitors, and everyone, about 70 - 80 of them, applauded.

There was no love - bombing, just a friendly greeting, and an invitation to the meeting they are having tonight, which we politely declined. They had a creche for babies and young children, which I think is a good idea, and they were getting ready to serve tea, coffee and biscuits when we left. Apparently, they serve supper after the evening meeting, which is called "feed your soul".

I doubt I'll go again, it's just not something I feel the need to do right now, but Marion might, or she might try a few of the other churches in the area. I didn't find it an ordeal, like the jw meetings eventually got to be. The songs they sang were fairly modern, and to be honest, we didn't join in with the singing, It was better than I thought it would be, and I'm glad I went to support Marion, but it's most likely going to be a one - off for me.

Linda

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit