Probably going to church tomorrow

by fullofdoubtnow 29 Replies latest jw friends

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I may well be making my first visit to a place of worship since I da'd tomorrow. My friend Marion wants to go, and I have agreed, a little reluctantly I must admit, to accompany her for support. The service we are planning to attend is at a Baptist church near where we live, and is billed as a family service. It starts at 10:30am, so I will pick Marion up around 10am, and we'll see how it goes.

We tried to persuade Trev to go as well, but he was adamant that he wouldn't so he's going to cook our dinner while we are there. I haven't personally felt the need to go to church since I came out of the jws, and am a little apprehensive, but Marion sees it as a kind of freedom thing, she's going because she can, and doubts that she will go anywhere on a regular basis in the future, but may try a few differrent churches from time to time and take it from there.

I expect one of us will post about the experience tomorrow.

Linda

• Dansk
    Dansk

Well, Linda, I have to admire you for your support of Marion! If Marion derives comfort from the meeting, then great! Just don't come back here trying to convert the rest of us!

Ian

• luna2
    luna2

Hope you enjoy it, Linda. Its good of you to go with your friend. Sometimes this stuff is a bit difficult to do alone.

I also have had no desire to go to church since leaving the dubs, but then I never refused to go into a church when I was a dub. What? I was going to show that kind of disrespect to my grandfather when my grandmother died or miss my brother's wedding? Hell, no! I figured that if I had the big old truth, I could withstand an hour or so listening to a church service. LOL

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    Just don't come back here trying to convert the rest of us!

There's no danger of that Ian, though I am wondering if some of those baptists will try and convert us! Hopefully, from my point of view anyway, we will slip in just before the start of the meeting, and out straight after it's ended. We won'tignore people, but I certainly don't want to get into a lengthy conversation with anyone. I wonder if there will be anyone there who one of us has previously preache dto on the ministry. If so, they will be very surprised to see us.

Linda

• greendawn
    greendawn

Some people have a spiritual dimension that needs to be fed and supported so they need a group that works on spiritual matters, as long as it isn't a cult trying to cash in on people's spiritual needs then there is no problem.

Occasionally I visit one or other mainstream church and no one ever tried to convert me.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hey Linda,

Just to help you get rid of the yellow, if you hit the reply button you'll see little motifs above the blank page, i.e. two arrows, a pair of scissors, two pages, a clip-board, etc. If you place your cursor on the eraser-looking motive to the right of the clip-board it'll say 'Clear Formatting'. Press this before you make your reply and the yellow (or any other colour) will disappear.

Ian

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Thanks for that Ian, I've noticed the coloured background on some of my posts before, and wondered how to get rid of it. I keep meaning to ask Trev, but never seem to get around to it.

The church we propose to visit has it's own website, and I've just been looking at it. The service starts at 10:45, finishing at 12 - 12:15, after which tea, coffee and biscuits are served! I don't know if we will stay for them, we'll see how it goes, but it sounds like a far cry from the kingdom hall we both used to attend.

• south african beef
    south african beef

I personally have no desire to go to any church at all, but everyone to their own I suppose.

Good luck, hope it goes well.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I'm not sure about the music but from all I've heard about UK churches it will probably rock the house down. If they sing a lot of contemporary Praise and Worship songs you'll either love it or be offended. I am in a small church with a lot of people here in the South and 5 years ago when the minster of praise and worship arrived some of the seniors got a dose of contemporary. They were used to Baptist hymns from the 1800's and it took awhile for them to get used to it.

BTW, when the offering plate is passed it doesn't mean they expect you to drop $ in it. Do it only if you want to. No one will notice and its a lot more respectable than wooden bluebird houses hanging off the wallpaper with CONTRIBUTIONS FOR THE WWW screen printed all over the front of them.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi Honesty,

It's likely to be a one - off for me, I don't know about Marion, that's up to her. The church is called Trinity Baptist, and it's about 5 minutes walk from where I live. I have bo idea what to expect, so it promises to be an experience. I hope it doesn't turn out to be an ordeal, like the last year of meetings I attended at the kh were. From there website, they come across as a bit progressive, so we could be in for a noisy service.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit