Changes at NY Bethel

by architect 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• architect
    architect

Last Dec 2005, the NY bethel gave talks indicating that they had to downsize (word is mine) due to "Improved Technology" and that as a result of this simplification some bethel family members would be invited to serve in the united states field in various assignments at various congregations where the excellent training they have recieved at bethel could be put to use and contribute much to the preaching and disciple making work.

what do you make of this?

I wonder how they would determine who stays or goes?

Are there any former bethel members out there who can comment on rather this would be an easy transistion for those who have to leave?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Are there any former bethel members out there who can comment on rather this would be an easy transistion for those who have to leave?

Not a former Bethelite. However I have known lots of them over the years.

This cannot be a comfortable transition for most of them. One day you are provided for with housing, dental and medical care onsite, meals, laundry, etc. The next day you have to look for a job, housing, car, insurance, etc. Just the 'sticker shock' would depress most who have had it all done for them for a while.

Jeff

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I agree with Jeff. I am not a bethelite, don't know any who have been booted recently, but this has got to be rough on them. Even though their lifestyle is rigid, they get used to it (like a military lifestyle). All of a sudden, the boss says, go out there somewhere, and provide for yourself, somehow. While many will become circuit overseers, and continue to get their needs, others will be special pioneers who are pretty much asking the local cong. for their help, and not covered medically. As bad a deal as these bethelites were promised, they are now getting the rug pulled out from under them. If the organization can say they never "promised" anything, that's just typical. "We never said our prediction of the end in --------- (fill in a year) was in the name of Jehovah." "We never said that WE PERSONALLY would care for bethelites, just that Jehovah would bless them for their service." Would not surprise me a bit if many of these ones left the WTS. (Of course, from what I read, STAYING at Bethel causes people to get disillusioned and leave, too.)

• sir82
    sir82

An interesting note:

I have a friend who went to Bethel as a middle-ager about 5 years ago (had a special skill they needed). He was notorious for virtually never returning my phone calls, and on the rare occasion I did make contact with him, it was quite obvious he was fully assimilated. I.e., he dominated the conversation with how wonderful everything and everyone was all the time, new projects being worked on, talking with Bethel big-wigs, etc. Never more than a cursory question or 2 about what was going on in my life.

About 3 weeks ago, he leaves a message on my home answering machine, and immediately thereafter calls me on my cell (I was out of town). He was asking all sorts of questions about what the job situation is where I live (I live several hundred miles from where we grew up), housing, weather, etc. He admitted he was nervous about being dismissed (he missed the first wave of downsizing, but heard they were going to start sending out "the letters" soon again). Virtually nothing on Bethel life.

So, after 5 years, he calls out of the blue (first time, I think, he called me since he was at Bethel)--makes a concerted effort to track me down. Asks about jobs, etc. where I live. He's now in his mid-40's with little seniority at Bethel--obviously, he recognizes that he perfectly fits the demographic of those who are being "reassigned". And due to changes at Bethel, his "special skill" is not so much in demand now.

Very interesting. He has definitely changed, and is definitely nervous about leaving. He left a pretty-well-paid position with a large company to go to Bethel. A 5-year gap on his resume, working in an area away from his secular training, devoted to "religious volunteering" will be hard to overcome, I think.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I feel for this person being sent "out." Many of us were blind and now we see. Many of us were caring for ourselves, though and can adapt to living without the WTS. The person who gave more than others 1)was encouraged to do so. 2)was praised by his peers. 3)sacrificed so much for his beliefs. 4)lost valuable years for preparing for retirement.

I came into JWs out of the military. I was still young. I was encouraged to look into a more self-sacrificing lifestyle at the beginning, but not pushed too hard because I wasn't raised in the organization. I went to Bethel and visited, and I could not believe that people did this work for virtually no money. It's not the labor, it's the requirements of being at the table on time for meals in clean clothes, being at the weekly Bethel study of the WT, being at the five meetings even though you have to commute far, being out in the ministry if you happen to have any spare time. I actually told people that I "already spent 6 years in the military" when they asked me about possible Bethel/Travelling Overseer goals.

• girasole
    girasole

I wonder if Bethel is paying their relocation and living expenses as they do for the COs. Probably not. Which I know would really stink if that affected some of the bethelites that I knew. Many forfieted college and career training to go to bethel (ie - they didn't know what else to do). I know that is not the case with a lot of bethelites who were asked to come to bethel because they did have specialized training or skills. But for those that don't they will likely not be exactly marketable for jobs in the real world.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Work for a company for 20 years. Get fired, and have your boss tell you "We want to free you up to use your skills elsewhere in the world." See how you would feel.

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Isn't serving at Bethel voluntary service?

Did those who accepted such an assignment realize this?

Who is to blame? Those who volunteered? The WTS for not showing fellow feeling? Should there even be blame?

This is a life lesson for those involved directly with this situation and for those of us who aren't involved directly.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously by WTS standards)

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Isn't serving at Bethel voluntary service?

Did those who accepted such an assignment realize this?

Who is to blame? Those who volunteered? The WTS for not showing fellow feeling? Should there even be blame?

This is a life lesson for those involved directly with this situation and for those of us who aren't involved directly.

What if your goal was to stay there for life? Your mind forgets that whole voluntary part real quick. And why wouldn't it, you just want to stay right in the middle of Jehover's Universal Theocratic Earthly Part of His Organization TM .

I would forget if I were there for a long time. Reality bites.

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom
    What if your goal was to stay there for life?

You're right in some respects. There may be some of those whose goal was to be a lifer at Bethel. But who dictates our goals? Us? WTS at Bethel? Jehovah? What happened to "unforeseen circumstances"?

Your mind forgets that whole voluntary part real quick.

If the correct motive is there, then volunteering isn't forgotten. The mind forgets, IMO, when a person gets too comfortable, when an individual has been tricked/swindled cunningly or if a person has a change of agenda which is urged on by ulterior purposes.

And why wouldn't it, you just want to stay right in the middle of Jehover's Universal Theocratic Earthly Part of His Organization TM .

I would call that fleshly thinking. Wouldn't you? Location doesn't really factor in on spirituality. Would you agree?

Reality bites.

OUCH!! It does. I'm sure that we've all been nipped at or even chewed up here and there in our lives.

SirNose586, I'm sort of familiar with your neck of the woods. Maybe we crossed paths before.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously by WTS standards)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit