Has anyone spoken 'in tongues'?

by lighthouse19something 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lighthouse19something
    lighthouse19something

I've been attending an independent church were the women wave flags, play realy loud live music, speak in tongues (not me) and alot of other thingsI never saw in kh. It realy feels weird, but have closer friendships than in kh.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome to JWD. I look forward to hearing more about your experiences.

I have never seen it done or spoken in tongues, but my grandmother went to a Pentecostal Church for a while before becoming a JW. She said she spoke in tongue, but that they taught her how to do it, and she used to go home and practice the strange sounding syllables. It did not sound to me as if it was being done Biblically, or that some higher power was involved. I would love to know of people that did it who thought they were being moved by Holy Spirit.

• Arthur
    Arthur

I have never known anyone personally.

But, I also have a question to all of you here. Did any of you hear the following story or "experience" while a JW:

A person from a remote country goes to a church in the U.S. (or other Western country) where the people speak in tongues. This person just happens to understand one of the languages that is being spoken in tongues. This person reports that what the people are saying (in the remote language) is utterly filthy, disgusting, and vulgar. This supposedly proved that the demons were behind the speaking in tongues. I remember hearing this "experience" many times in the JW circles. I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard of this.

• skeptic2
    skeptic2
    I've been attending an independent church were the women wave flags, play realy loud live music, speak in tongues (not me) and alot of other thingsI never saw in kh. It realy feels weird, but have closer friendships than in kh.

Why? Why are you going to this 'independent church'? If it 'really feels weird' maybe your instinct is telling you something. Do you judge the authenticness of a church by the closeness of the people in it? I'm sure there are Scientologists, FDLS members etc that are real close to each other, maybe try those religions too?

• vitty
    vitty

Arthur

Yep, I remember hearing of that story !!!!!

It was a number of years ago.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Hi Arthur,

I heard that JW story as well. It is interesting going to sites on urban myth as a lot of stories I thought were "proof " it was the truth or amazing JW stories are just common urban myths.

• barry
    barry

Arthur Ive heard that story about people speaking in tongues in SDA circles beleive it or not. That was a while back though.

Since that time SDAs have had joint meatings with tongue speakers and many SDAs around the world go to penticostal meatings for the experiance. I remember in Tumut NSW when the penticostals opened their new church they invited the SDA church members to come to the opening. I went with many other SDA church members and some of the more conservative SDAs thought the devil would jump out and get them when a penticostal started up speaking in tongues. I could see it on there faces. The bloke started speaking in tongues was waiving his arms in the air and swinging backward on his chair as he spoke.

• Arthur
    Arthur
    The bloke started speaking in tongues was waiving his arms in the air and swinging backward on his chair as he spoke.

That stuff would have creeped me out. Were you able to identify any of the languages? (sometimes you can vaguely tell if a person is speaking French, Russian, or Chinese for example)

• barry
    barry

Its not a language itis just like sylibles put together or sort of like baby talk. Thats just my opinion hope i dont offend anyone. Ive heard it a number of times Ive even had people lay hands on me and speak in tongues to try to get me to do it but it never worked guess Im just not like them.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I have been to a lot of churches in my life that did have some who "spoke in tongues". I have often question people on it, looked into the bible for opinion, and researched it by other means. As far as the biblical account when someone "spoke in tongues" they only spoke a foreign language. They did not speak jibberish that no one can understand.

Also according to the biblical view, you are not supposed to "speak in tongues" unless there is someone there who is a translator. Usually this is not the case and if someone does "speak in tongues" it just creeps everyone out. My personal opinion on the matter is this: I have yet to be able to substantiate one legitimate case of speaking in tongues. Therefore, I am still a skeptic.

Personally I believe if people ever had this ability it was when Christianity was new and it was a means of people seeing the Holy Spirit in action so that they would believe that God was with the early disciples. Or so others would believe and follow them. Lilly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit