What Were You Doing When You Found Out about 9-11 5 Years Ago??

by mama1119 65 Replies latest jw friends

• puck
    puck

we were living just outside d.c. at the time, and i had just gotten back from dropping my girlfriend off at the metro station. she was under the pentagon at the train stop when the pentagon was crashed into. it took me about 3 1/2 hours to go 15 miles to pick her up. there was a huge black cloud in the sky, and no planes overhead for the next few days. it was eerie. a friend of mine worked in the towers, but got an unexpected phone call to go to a meeting instead of to her office, thus narrowly missing being in the second building.

-- puck

• material BOY
    material BOY

I busy serving customers in a very busy retail shop (Argos). this man came up to me and was wanting a refund on his TV, i was suspicious of this man as he was always bringing things back. i told my co worker (also flat mate) to take the TV in the stockroom and look it over, the tv was working fine but what she saw was horrific! she came running out screaming!! she is a very dramatic person and i burst out laughing! i know this sounds stupid but i had no idea what the world trade centre was! so then i turned on the TVs in the store! my laughter turned to tears in i remember the whole store just stoped and was glued to the t.v's!only yesterday i was in tears about it!

• material BOY
    material BOY

we were living just outside d.c. at the time, and i had just gotten back from dropping my girlfriend off at the metro station. she was under the pentagon at the train stop when the pentagon was crashed into. it took me about 3 1/2 hours to go 15 miles to pick her up. there was a huge black cloud in the sky, and no planes overhead for the next few days. it was eerie. a friend of mine worked in the towers, but got an unexpected phone call to go to a meeting instead of to her office, thus narrowly missing being in the second building.

wow puck im so glad you were all safe!!!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I appreciated that so many shared their experiences of that day. So grateful that in spite of the proximity that some of you had to the disaster-in one way or the other-that you came out of it ok. I was amazed that more were not hurt or killed. Great testament to getting to work late if you ask me. I am remembering how many people at my old job in NYC showed up around 9:30 or so(it was a magazine and somewhat flexible about time). Had it happened an hour later, I think it would have been much worse. I am so grateful that it wasn't worse than it was-as it well could have been. Quite bad enough already.

One thing I remember thinking was that I was glad my dad had passed away (less than a month prev.) since he was so sick(lung cancer) and miserable that he would have had worry on top of it-and he loved us-would have hated not being able to fix our world. He is the kind of guy who would have re-enlisted if they would have let him. These days are bringing a lot back to me. Mostly just gratitude for the ones I love. The sun shines a little brighter when you appreciate it!

Shelly

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

It was midnight when it started, I was in bed. A mate called to tell me that New York was at war and this is the end, I told him to pull himself together, hung up and went back to sleep. Mum called to wake me up and tell me Armageddon had started, I thought she was insane, I reminded her that she thought that armageddon started in 1990 when we first started getting CNN reports on Iraq, and told her to get to bed. I turned the phone off and went back to sleep. I heard about it first on the radio on the way into work the next morning. It wasn't much of a work day as people started looking it up and getting the papers. There was about a fifty-fifty ratio of people who had heard before going to bed and turned on the tv, staying up all night to watch it all happen, and people who hadn't heard, twelve hours later. Those of us who hadn't heard and watched seemed to cope better over the coming weeks.

• free2beme
    free2beme

My parents always told me about what they were doing when JFK was announced to be assassinated. They remember, forty+ years later, where they were and exactly what happened. For me, I have an event that is like this too, before 9/11. It was when I watched the Space Shuttle Challenger blow up. I was at home sick from my Freshman year of High School. It was being broadcast because the teacher in space program was happening. It blow up, and I spent the whole day watching coverage. Hoping someone would be found alive. For some odd reason, it all felt better when Reagan talked about it later that day.

I never thought there would be another event like that. Then comes 09/11/01. I was getting up to got to a physical therapy appointment for a injury I had. I was off from work that day. I turned on the television, and saw the towers burning. It was a surreal moment, like I was watching something that should be a movie and yet it was not. I remember thinking, this happened with the Empire state building once, a place hitting it and wondered, "How are they going to fight that fire." I did not want to think, terrorist, I wanted to think it was just an accident. Then they came down, all those people died. So sad, a sadness I hate to think about. I felt so worried, wondering what was going to happen next. I went to my appointment and the lady who was working on me could not do it. She just excused herself and we rescheduled. I did not mind, I wanted to get home and watch more coverage. My spouse was sent home early too, as they were afraid that people might attach banks and credit unions. It was so odd of a day, almost a dream.

May it never happen again!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit