What Were You Doing When You Found Out about 9-11 5 Years Ago??

by mama1119 65 Replies latest jw friends

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

I was actually travelling abroad for the first time. I was eighteen years old, and Me, my Mom, my Brother and my Sister were in Berlin, Germany.

We were sightseeing that day, and that evening we went to the Parkbuhne Wulhiede to attend a Radiohead Concert.

In line there was a frenchmen who told my brother that the WTC had been "bombed!" We thought this was unbelievable, and well, he was french...

So, Radiohead comes on after APC, and Thom (the lead singer) tells the audience about the two planes flying INTO the WTC, he said this in a very very somber and horrified way.

Then, I think it was the last song, he dedicated Street Spirit to "George Bush in hopes that he doesn't declare WW3" :) which seemed possible at the time...

Then at the hotel there was CNN, the only english language channel so we watched a bit of the coverage.

Travelling back...was strange.

We went through JFK, the way we had come, and while it was lines and people the way to Europe, it was practically vacant on the way back. Quite eerie.

There was also noticeably two or three Air Marshalls on the plane from NY to SLC.

So, that was actually quite an interesting situation to be in on 9/11.

smellsgood

• oldflame
    oldflame

I had just awoke and had my coffee in my hand, turned on the tube to watch my mourning as usual CNN Watching about the first plane when I seen the second plane fly into the second building. I had to work that day but while at the job site I kept going out to the truck for a smoke so I could listen to the radio. My mind was running a million miles an hour, wondering if we were under attack. Later that day I came home, turned on CNN to watch the president of the united states just sit there in that classroom after being told the second plane had hit the WTC. Needless to say thats exactly what he did when Katrina hit too.

• Arthur
    Arthur

My clock radio went off at 6:30 a.m. (pacific). My radio was set on on 95.5 KLOS, which has the Mark & Brian Show in the morning. These are two guys that are always joking and laughing. The second my radio went on, and I heard their voices, I immediately knew something really bad had happened. Their voices were very somber, and they said that they were watching CNN in the studio. I jumped up and turned the TV on and saw the towers burning. At first, I thought that it was a bomb planted in the buildings.

I was totally numb during my drive into work. I worked in a large office building, which made management concerned. Nobody was working when I got there; everybody was huddled into the lunch room watching the tv. By this time, the towers had collapsed. The room was totally quiet, except for a few women sniffing and in tears. It was terrible.

• Lutece67
    Lutece67

I was here at www.jehovahs-witness.com, reading through the posts and someone posted simpley "TURN ON CNN" and so I did. The rest of the day was spent calling friends and family on the phone, watching tv and pouring over the news sites online. I can't believe it's been 5 years already.

• badboy
    badboy

I WAS ON THIS FORUM WHEN SOMEONE POSTED THAT THEY HAD HEARD THAT A PLANE HAD CRASHED INTO A BUILDING.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

I was stuck in the 4 train on my way to work when the 2nd plane struck, I didnt know about the first and like an idiot went into the subway.

• M.J.
    M.J.

My cousin and some friends of mine were visiting NYC when it happened. My cousin who is a doctor went to offer any services that were possibly needed but apparently wasn't utilized.

I had left them two days prior, having visited for the labor day weekend and US open. Still have a photo taken from the base of the WTC towers with the date "9-9-01" on it.

They could not get a flight back home so they were all stuck in New York. They eventually ended up renting a car to drive back to California. Crazy.

• lighthouse19something
    lighthouse19something

I was at one of my customers ( a bar) sellieg them news years decoratios and party hats for their new years eve party. They decided to have one that year.

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

I was sleeping and my fiance at the time (ex-now) came in and woke me up and said that I needed to see something important. He held me on the couch as we watched what happened. I then got a phone call from my dad saying that my cousin was in there, and I started freaking out.

• morty
    morty

I was heading home from doing my bus run. I had just dropped off 75 children at school when dispatch came on and said, "please listen to this announcement" We were listening to a live broadcast of a special news report. I pulled over and could not believe what I was hearing. After the news was done, dispatch ordered all of us to remain at home as they were not too sure what was going to happen.

Once I got home, the school board had an emergency meeting and ordered the children to have a early dismissal. It was the first one ever but, by the time the school secretary got a hold of all parents and emergency contacts, it was almost at the same time as regular dismissal.

I remember pacing the floor that day as my husband was heading to New York the night before (he drives truck) and it was also his birthday. I tried for hours trying to contact him, but all the call lines were jammed up. Finally, after I got home doing my afternoon bus run, I had a message on the phone that he was safe and he was tied up at the boarder for hours and was not moving. I was never so happy in my life to hear his voice.

The fear of not knowing had to be awful for those folks that day that had loved ones in those towers, and on those planes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit