What Were You Doing When You Found Out about 9-11 5 Years Ago??

by mama1119 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Jourles
    Jourles

I had been laid off from work for a week so I was taking advantage of my newly found extra sleep-in time. My wife called me and woke me up saying that a plane had just hit the WTC. I hopped outta bed and was glued to the TV for the next couple of days.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I also wanted to mention, I live close to an AirForce base. I lived right in the path of daily manuveurs. Those days following when all planes were grounded, I will never forget the sound of NO sound.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

One other thing I wanted to say. While I'm sure there were some idiot JWs who only saw this event through the not-so-rose colored glasses of Watchtowerism, I know many JWs who were deeply disturbed by the events of 9/11.

For instance, my then wife, an active and still active JW, went with me and participated in a community candle light ceremony that week. Pity the fool JW that would have counseled her about that!

Also, I was remembering today, that that Friday I had to drive to a city a couple of hours away and do a magazine interview with a woman executive of a major telephone company, who had been in Manhattan on 9/11. Her company had a building that was badly damaged by the WTC attack. It was quite an experience doing that. On the way out of her company offices there was a box with small flags in them for people to take. This was the Friday after the attack, sort of a national day of mourning, and I remember that I took one of the flags and stuck it in my car window as I drove home.

It's the only time in my life I've ever done anything like that.

S4

• M.J.
    M.J.

I was at work at a major car production plant. I was getting out of a meeting and noticed everyone huddled around a TV screen. From that point, everyone was checking internet news sites for updates. I was on the phone with my wife as she was seeing things unfold on TV..after the 2nd tower fell, everyone was sent home. It was feared that the plant was another potential target. Surreal.

• juni
    juni

I WAS AT WORK WHEN PEOPLE WERE COMING AROUND TO TELL OF THE NEWS. IT WAS SURREAL.

JUNI

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

It was 6:04am when I heard Mark of Mark & Brian on KLOS scream, "Oh my God! A plane flew into the WTC!" I was sound asleep, but that woke me up. I always sleep with the radio on. I ran out and turned on Fox News, and saw the second one hit the WTC. I sat on the armrest of the couch hard, and began to weep.

• sandy
    sandy

I was at home just getting ready to get out of bed and turn on the news just as I do every morning before getting ready for work. I was living at home and my Dad came and knocked on my door and told me to turn on the t.v. I saw the second tower being hit by the plane. I had this deep empty feeling inside all day. But not once did I fear armageddon. This was the point in my life when I really started to stop ignoring my doubts about the org. I wondered why I was not so afraid of armageddon when all my family was.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I was at work and heard them talking about it on the radio. I said to my co workers, this is going to cost us all our jobs. And it did 1 year latter.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Some of us were in the Soup Kitchen where I work, when someone who was watching T.V. in the dining area ran in to tell us to hurry to the news as a plane had just hit the Twin Towers. I just couldn't believe it. And than the second plane. And I thought: This is crazy. What in the heck is going on here? By the time the plane crashed in Pa. the plot just kept mushrooming.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I was reading this board when my husband called me from the truck and told me to turn on the television. We are on the Pacific coast and the news was a few hours old but it was new to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit