Who, on this board, go to church now???

by mama1119 42 Replies latest jw friends

• mama1119
    mama1119

I wondered how many abandoned going to any kind of church. Or, if there are some who go to a church now. Was it weird at first to go? Were you nervous about getting sucked in to something equally as dangerous as JW?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I haven't been to church since I left, though my friend Marion was going to go today, and I sort of said I would go with her. However, her younger son (non - jw) is visiting hae, so we postponed it, maybe next week. I don't personally feel any need to go to church, but I would go to support her.

• JeffT
    JeffT

We have been going to a large independent church since we left the JW's in 1989. My wife works there now. The first visit was terrifying. The blood mobile was going to be in the parking lot that afternoon, they passed commnunion, voter registration forms were available in the lobby. As the ex-elder who invited us said, we looked like they were sacrificing a chicken on the alter.

• greendawn
    greendawn

You have to play your cards right with them, if you go slowly you will soon realise if they are a serious group or a cultic one with strange ideas and one that is demanding, isolates, and puts pressure on its members. There are some wholesome groups out there.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    There are some wholesome groups out there.

Yeah, they're called 'Buddhists'!

Ian

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Buddhism is like the Seinfeld show. It's a religion about nothing.

• Arthur
    Arthur
    Buddhism is like the Seinfeld show. It's a religion about nothing

LMAO !

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I didn't at first after leaving. Now I have returned to the church of my youth. That would be the Episcopal Church. I am finding that many churches do a lot of good and there are so many more sincere Christians who follow in Christ's footseps with giving and helping, praying and outreach....yes many more than I ever dreamt of. Not all Christians are big cold hearted republicans either. Jesus said you will know his true followers by the love they have among themselves. I've seen that love at St. Mark's and I've seen other people who go to churches and experience that same love.

• south african beef
    south african beef

Absolutely no chance of me going to church! Mind you I have visited Canterbury Cathedral since I left being a Witto - even doing that seemed strange. Fantastic building and if push came to shove I would always ally myself towards the protestant, Church of England view.

• Arthur
    Arthur
    I am finding that many churches do a lot of good and there are so many more sincere Christians who follow in Christ's footseps with giving and helping, praying and outreach....yes many more than I ever dreamt of. Not all Christians are big cold hearted republicans either.

Yes, this is a very good point, because we as Witnesses were so indoctrinated with the phobia of "Christendom" that we thought that all Christian churches were evil. Tom Cabeen (former JW), who is one of the board members of the Bible Research & Commentary International http://brci.org wrote a really good article about "The Body of Christ". He pointed out that Jesus' descriptions about his true followers apply to the individual, instead of the whole church itself. Jesus described what his true individual followers would look like.

This article was very enlightening and helped me to see Christianity in a whole new light. Cabeen has written a couple of other very good articles that I recommend (one of them about the Faithful Slave doctrine). You can find his articles at the web link that I posted above.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit