Who, on this board, go to church now???

by mama1119 42 Replies latest jw friends

• brutusmaximus
    brutusmaximus

Only been back in churches for weddings and funerals

I have no real "spiritual need" but if I need it then there are plenty of churches I can try.

Having to go to a king dum hall later this year for a wedding and I am getting nervous at the thought already

For all of you who have found something else, I am delighted for you well done

Regards

BM

• moshe
    moshe

I found out after I left JW's and was attending various churches that, if I wanted to be treated "normal", then it was best to never mention that I had been a JW for 16 years. Maybe that was just my experience and others have never had that problem.

• acadian
    acadian

No, haven't found one that isn't incorporated into the State, and no part of the world, according to Christ you can't serve two masters.

(2 Cor 6:16)
    16 And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said:
    " I will dwell in them
    And walk among them.
    I will be their God,
    And they shall be My people.

(Acts 7:48-50)
    48 "However, the Most High does not dwell in temples made with hands, as the prophet says:
    49 ? Heaven is My throne,
    And earthisMy footstool.
    What house will you build for Me? says the LORD,
    Or whatisthe place of My rest?
    50 Has My hand notmade all these things?

Christ followers are the church, the body of Christ, not some building.
    Not that follower's of Christ can't gather together in some building, but it is NOT the Church, the people are.

God dwells in all of us, the Kingdom of Heaven is within you!
    If you don't enter the Kingdom while your alive, you won't enter after your dead.

Peace
    Acadian

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Acadian:You've never heard of "Free" churches?

Troubled Mind:
    It's nice to throw off some of the shackles and feel liberated enough to just be yourself, tears and all, huh?

• willyloman
    willyloman

We go to an Episcopal church whenever we feel like engaging in communal worship, which is about one a month or so. It's a lovely church, nice people, terrific choir, uplifting music, and very educational. We are learning to be non-judgmental and accepting of other people.

• acadian
    acadian

Hi little toe,

Acadian:You've never heard of " Free " churches?

I followed the link, but I don't see the differance from other church/buildings. By calling them free, does that mean free from the State? Not incorporated into the State? Are they a non profit corporation, recieving benifits and priviliges from the State/Government? I counldn't find any info on that. Acadian

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

acadian,

I went to the link too. Click about us and it explains that they are free from state interference of their internal affairs. You can also pull up a pdf. brochure that has more information.

BTW thanks LT, Lilly

• acadian
    acadian

Hi Lovelylil,

I went to the link too. Click about us and it explains that they are free from state interference of their internal affairs. You can also pull up a pdf. brochure that has more information.

I read that, but are they incorporated, I couldn't find that info? Corporations are part of the body of the State/Government, not the body of Christ. The State/Government is the authority over all incorporaed churches not Christ. where are they putting their their Faith to protect them, Christ or the government? Even the WTS cliams to be God's mouthpiece. My problem with incorporated churches is they have put their trust in man, rather than God. Peace Acadian

• ttbeachbum
    ttbeachbum

The only time I have gone to Church for the last 18 years were for the ritual weddings, communions/confirmations and funerals (crib to casket). It was very weird for me. I never stepped foot into a Church until I D.A.; Married a non-practicing Catholic in a non-religious ceremony; But we attend the functions as a family (of 2).

The paternal figure was born and raised Catholic; Maternal figure a very protestant family; Sibling unit was born and christened Catholic. Celebrated all the holidays with extended family; At a very young memorable age, all that was taken away and she was then raised and baptised as a JW. I was born into the cult. They fit back into the 'wordly' ways of understanding the various Church rituals, I feel like a fish out of water, even to the point where Maternal figure criticized me for not knowing some of the prayers chanted...selective memory

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I didn't attend anywhere for a few years, but now attend a Unitarian Universalist church. I enjoy that I am not required to turn off my brain before entering (findings of science are accepted, i.e. no problem with evolution or humanity being a part of something much larger). Bible is viewed as useful, but not inspired, just as Torah, Koran, Rig Veda, and sacred texts from other faiths. Sermons may quote Jesus, but also may quote Thoreau, Emerson, Einstein, or other wise people. Also, I'm not required to believe the same things as everyone else, diverse opinions are tolerated (so, people who consider themselves Christians worship next to those who consider themselves Muslims, Jews, Pagans, Humanists, Atheists, etc). We had a child dedication ceremony this week in which children were dedicated "in the spirit of earth, air, fire and water", with appropriate commentary on what each of those elements would mean to each one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit