Whats left for me to say?

by KW13 44 Replies latest jw friends

• KW13
    KW13

I can't describe what i feel, when i see my mum as a JW. Sometimes (like today) it really gets me down knowing she and millions of others are living a life that is not going anywhere.

She's been to the British Musuem, I've gotten e-mails from the British Musuem

We've read literature/websites/Bible e.t.c

I've brought up a wide range of topics with her

I really need some direction here, its getting to me thinking that unless i do it right i could put her off completely and she won't ever think outside of the box. I have plans and even made a start on writing a book and i'm choosing the right moment to give her a letter (probably when i move out).

What points can i mention to her? What can i say?

I can imagine its quite annoying to hear me go on about my mum in most of my topics but this means a lot to me and if i am going to try one last time, which i said i would i want to do it properly.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I don't know what you have already said but the change in the generation understanding drove out many JWs. They were hoping for a quick release from this system even old age and death and then they told them that it was postponed indefinitely though they are trying to say that most likely it will come soon.

On the other hand some dubs enjoy a good social life in the org and that's why they stay in. It depends on what their status and prestige is like.

• zeroday
    zeroday
    I really need some direction here, its getting to me thinking that unless i do it right i could put her off completely and she won't ever think outside of the box.

There is really nothing you can say to get her to think outside the box. It will happen when she wants to if ever. That's the power of mind control. You have to want to let go no one can do it for you.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I'm not sure it's what you say that will do anything KW. On the other hand, how you act might.

Show her that you are much happier out of the jws, which goes against what they are taught, and she might start to wonder why. Tell her what a great time you have at the Apostacurry, as I'm sure we will all have, and let her know how much better you feel now you don't answer to a bunch of old men in Brooklyn. A good example can sometimes say what a million words won't.

Good luck!

Linda

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

KW13 it is so honorable how much you care for your mom . I really love that about you . This is my opinion only, but I really don't think we can save anyone out of the organization . It has to be a self motivated decision . We can give facts and examples galore, but if someone really does not want to see they won't . None so blind as those that will not see . The reason being is Faith ....which is belief in something intangible , not seen . Your best bet is to live a good happy life and let your mom make her own conclusions based on that fact . Still it does not hurt to keep making her think outside the box. The problem is witnesses have a type of tunnel vision ,You can only try to widen her veiw.

• KW13
    KW13

thanks folks, i appreciate the advice.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I know what you're saying. it's truly frustrating, but the only person we can ever change is ourselves. Just let her figure it out on her own. let her know you are there for her always no matter what, and that you have boundaries she must not cross as long as she is a witness.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Some devout JW's won't listen to a thing other than the verbage from the great GB, ie, Watchtower, ie, God.

How old is your mom and how long has she been in?

I think the best bet is to get on with your life, live it to the fullest, be happy, and take care of yourself. Love your mom just as much, and stay away from confrontation if you can.....most long time JW's don't take well to change. They will choose the religion over you if backed into a corner...they have nothing else to go on.

All the best to you.

r.

• Mary
    Mary

Hey sweetie, have you considered giving her a copy of CoC to read?

• KW13
    KW13

somehow she knows its dodgy...she said thats an apostate book but convincing her to read it may happen one day but i'd need to establish some strong points first...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit