What's You're Musical Time Line...

by OpenFireGlass 34 Replies latest jw friends

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Up to 12 the Beach Boys and the Beatles

12 onwards Carole King has been my favourite since I bought Tapestry in 1971

Since moving in with Trev, I have got into country/folk/rock artists like Steve Earle and Peter Case

• xjwms
    xjwms

Do polkas count?

• Peaches-n-Cream
    Peaches-n-Cream

Ohh I forgot I just discovered Bob Marley.... yes, I know I'm behind...but he rocks! Anything with a Hawaiian style---

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Peaches, I love Bob Marley too, and yes, I know we are behind for just now loving him, but better late than never!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

hmmm, I guess there are some similarities in our musical timelines, OFG. I too started out with family listening to Waylen Jennings, and have ended up more inclined to listen to Mason Jennings. And betwixt the two, there is some Kymani Marley. Maybe I'm just a fan of famous kids...er, the kids of famous people.

Just last night I came across a video of Jordan Zevon and Jakob Dillon singing "Send Lawyers, Guns & Money, (Dad)" on a Warren Zevon tribute album titled "Enjoy Every Sandwich" (a great reference for those who saw the mutual affection Dave Letterman and Warren Zevon had for each other).

• Twitch
    Twitch

Cool thread

< 10 - parental control

10 - 15 The Beatles, Trooper, Harlequin, Streetheart, Rush, Saga, misc classic rock

15 - 20 Hendrix, Cream, Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, Clapton, other 60s/70s artists

20 - 25 Metallica, White Zombie, Jane's Addiction, Joe Satriani, U2

25 - 30 NIN, Pop Will Eat Itself, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, STP, Rage, RHCP

30ish - now Sasha & Digweed, Paul Oakenfeld, Junkie XL, Tricky, TransGlobal Underground, various breakbeat, house, dub, ambient artists

'course, the lines between are somewhat blurred

;-)

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

early years.....classical opera

teenage years....the above + queen elton john genesis (+ all derivitives) pink floyd etc yes etc eagles supertramp abba bruce springsteen

20s.....all the above + u2 simple minds marillion billy joel maddona finn brothers dire straits

30s....the above + lots of singer songwriters - alanis morissette sheryl crow sting tori amos - counting crows embrace rem radiohead ocs

40s...everything above + oasis train doves elbow coldplay a perfect circle feeder porcupine tree......the irony

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

When I was a little little kid my sister had a whole bunch of 45's that she got at a garage sale. The one I remember most was "Frankenstein" by the Edgar Winter Group. The seeds of rock were sown. I loved that song. I also had a disco Star Wars record that I liked quite a bit. My dad has always loved classical music above all else, so I got a heavy doses of Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, etc. throughout my childhood. I hated it then, but I've come around to it now, especially Beethoven.

When I was in grade school I got into the Bee Gees, it was the Saturday Night Fever era. I also remember liking the songs "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler and "After the Love is Gone" by Earth Wind and Fire.

Then when I was in the 5th grade we were one of the first to get MTV (1981), and that was back when it was more like a classic rock radio station, they played a lot of The Who, REO Speedwagon, Billy Joel, Pat Benatar, I loved it all. I got into Heavy Metal to, I think Dio was the first from that genre that got my attention. In HS it was Metallica, Iron Maiden, Zep, AC/DC, the standard high school headbanger stuff. Also got turned on to Joe Satriani, who still is my favorite artist.

In the 90's i liked Nirvana and Pearl Jam, and I also like RATM now, but never heard them then. I still love both, I think PJ is one of the greatest groups all time. So far my favorite groups of the 00's are Kings of Leon, Wilco, and Mars Volta.

• wonderwoman
    wonderwoman

Birth-14: My dad's music which included The Beatles, Lovin Spoonful, Supertramp, Waylon Jennings, Roger Whitaker, Kenny Rogers, Elvis and Patsy Cline, Captain and Teneal (sp?)...and some horrible Hawaiian love theme stuff.
    14-18: Whatever pissed off my dad: Motley Crue, Poison, Gorky Park, Alice Cooper(my fav), Joan Jett, Vixen, Ozzy, The Stones, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Metallica, pretty much any metal band...(also dated my 1st worldly boy, a long hair metal band cutie)
    19-25: Chili Peppers, Depeche Mode, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, U2, Pearl Jam, Bob Marley, electrica/house music, Indie girl rock
    26-present: I like almost anything except gansta rap,(my bf loves to piss me off w/ it) and top 40 crap. I have added opera to my favorites. You need to listen to Madam Butterfly while taking a bath with candles and a glass of wine. There is nothing like it.

• wonderwoman
    wonderwoman

ooops. Yes, I'll also admit to listening to my mom's 'banned' disco albuns...and loving every minute of it. "Nght fever, night fever..."LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit