Telephone Telapathy

by lonelysheep 43 Replies latest jw friends

• skeptic2
    skeptic2
    She soon forgot about all the other things that were so wrong. I guess it was because she just wanted to believe rather than weighing up the evidence.

It's a consequence of how our brains work.

It has been well demonstrated that we remember things expressed positively more than we remember things expressed negatively.

Thus we count the hits and forget the misses.

If the situation is reversed, i.e. you are looking for the medium to get it wrong, you will likely underestimate the number of times they got it right - because again you will count the 'hits' (getting it wrong) and forget the misses (getting it right).

If you are aware of our tendency to do this, then you can counter it a little, or at least know to look for third-party independant corroboration to double-check the impression you have,

• calico
    calico
    It happened to me! I picked up the phone to call my grandma and there she was! The phone had not even rung! What makes it strange is that we never called each other! Sounds terrible, but we saw them almost every weekend!

That's not at all strange. It might be strange if it happened to you every day, or every week even - assuming average rates of receiving phone calls, diversity of callers etc.

If it happened every day I would have been freaked out! I don't believe in telepathy--just thought it was an odd coincidence

• free2beme
    free2beme

Many times. More then I could count. I used to e-mail a few people from the east coast, that we all commented on how much we knew when the other person sent us messages and even tried a few experiments to test if it was really happening. It was! I am very into ESP, and things like that. Although for the person who thinks such things are foolish, even thinking about me doing that is a waste of their time.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I was thinking about calling a friend that I had met in Mx this past week...went out and bought an international calling card and was planning on calling when the phone rang...and guess who it was??? Had not talked to them in 6 months!!! Weird!

Swalker

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Sure. Happens to me all the time. I don't think it's surprising, really. You think about the people that you care about most in the world, and they think about you, and then then call you.

CG

• Moomin
    Moomin

Many times. More then I could count. I used to e-mail a few people from the east coast, that we all commented on how much we knew when the other person sent us messages and even tried a few experiments to test if it was really happening. It was! I am very into ESP, and things like that. Although for the person who thinks such things are foolish, even thinking about me doing that is a waste of their time.

You should present your experiment to James Randi. He has set up a challenge where if anyone can prove that anything woo woo exists, he will award them with 1m dollars.

http://www.randi.org/research/index.html

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

Here's why you should take Rupert Sheldrake's 'research' with a healthy pinch of skepticism:

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Thus we count the hits and forget the misses.

Sorry to jump into this so late, I didn't see the thread until now.

I have experienced this as well. What's weird, and defies the "hits, but not misses" idea is that it only happens with certain people. Or in my case, with just one person. Coincidences happen all the time, with everybody. But it happens more often with one specific person.

Or so it seems. I know I'm subject to all the tendencies to believe what I want to believe that everyone else is. But it surely seems more pronounced in this one case.

Can't explain it. But it's fun! ;-)

Dave

• skeptic2
    skeptic2
    But it surely seems more pronounced in this one case.

It's likely to happen more for some people than others, some people are on your mind more....

I recommend you read:

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Believe-Everything-You-Think/dp/1591024080

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

This is a bit off topic, but you may find it interesting.

I have a female neighbor that is the most obnoxious angry know it all, that I have ever encountered. She is in her 80's and her only child, a woman around 40 yrs old, has a phd in criminal psychology.

She literally hates her mother. Moved to Hawaii, as far as she could get away from her mother.

About two years ago she comes back to visit old high school friends etc. She is not too attractive but is intelligent and a calm person. An old friend of mine brought her to introduce us.

She came to our house and stayed about an hour. My wife and I visited and talked about what ever.

I don't find her very attractive at all.

As she leaves the house she takes a few steps and then turns and looks me in the eye and smiles.

I suddenly had this strong urge to hug her and felt the start of an erection. I never have experienced any thing like that before.

I think of this often and wonder if there is a possible connection between our minds and the minds of others, that we don't know of.

I know I will be attacked by lots of jokes and sarcasm but try to take it easy on me.

Outoftheorg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit