JWs at my door - A new Twist

by Amazing 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Since I gave testimony against the Society almost three years ago, I have not had a single JW call at my door. Historically, when they did come, I would take different positions in debate, and not reveal my ex-JW background. Once they could see that I was not impressed by their message, and was able to seriously challenge them, they would start looking for a qick out. Recently, however, some JWs rang my bell. I was surprised to see them. So, I stepped outside to talk with them. As usual, I avoided mentioning my ex-JW background, and instead focused in on them and the things that they teach. They left a couple of magazines with me, so I will comb through these and see what I can come up with to post here on JWD. One magazine is an Awake! that promotes their latest blood teachings ... which basically have not changed, but continue to push the same old arguments.

The interesting thing is that these JWs offered to return, and asked for a specific time so they could be sure to catch me at home. Surely the Society must have notified them that I am an ex-JW, or even a dangerous apostate who testified against them. While I took the magazines, I gave no signs of interest in their message. I drew upon my upbringing as a Roman Catholic, and involvement in the Greek Orthodox. I was able to nail them on the pedophile issue, as well as the fact that their NWT Bible is originally a Catholic product ... something that was put together by what JWs call "apostates."

As they tried to make the point that the Catholic Church is apostate from true Christianity, I countered by saying that Rome views them as an apostate cult that left the truth by not staying with the original true organization. They seemed slightly shocked, but continued to dialogue with me. We even freely tossed around the word 'apostate.' Although, the one JW seemed awefully nervous, and was starting to sweat a little. I don't know if the individual was naturally nervous, or was scared of me or what I was saying. The individual has been a JW for several decades, so I suspect that the person was not nervous at the doors.

But, these JWs seemed otherwise more confident and less troubled by my counter-arguments. They kept veering off topic, so I had to bring them back again, but otherwise they hung in ther with me, and did not seek to get away as previous JWs have done. I wonder if JWs are receiving new training to get them to argue more with people at the doors. I hope I am not growing soft, and sending wrong signals. Rather, I hope to have the opportunity to help them see things from a better perspective. Well, we did have a nice and respectful discussion, so, as long as we can maintain such mutual respect, then I will enjoy giving them some of my time.

I will keep you all posted if they actually do come back to see me.

Jim

• bebu
    bebu

Very interesting. And so strange for you to get to have such a conversation on your doorstep.

It almost makes me wonder... would a JW consider 'innocently' knocking on a known apostate's door, just in order to find out what made him go astray? I really don't think so. But it's funny that these guys have been JWs for decades and came to your door. Maybe they are new to town and don't know who's who?

Keep us posted.

bebu

• Gilberto
    Gilberto

I bet they don't call back.

• sir82
    sir82
    I wonder if JWs are receiving new training to get them to argue more with people at the doors.

Certainly not. The advice continues to be, "we seek out reasonable people, if they are not reasonable, then take your leave." Reasonable, of course, in the JW dictionary means "agreeing with what you say."

My best guess is that you just happened to get 2 JWs at your door who were a little more adept than normal.

• dozy
    dozy
    Surely the Society must have notified them that I am an ex-JW, or even a dangerous apostate who testified against them.

I wouldn't exaggerate your own importance too much. The WTS don't bother informing congregations that notorious apostate Mr X has moved into the neighbourhood - they have no interest whatsoever in your whereabouts. You are dead meat (quite literally) as far as they are concerned.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Whatever the case, at least you got to give a few thoughts and hopefully some zingers that stuck in their brains like burdocks on socks!

hugs,

Annie

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I wouldn't exaggerate your own importance too much.

Yeah, only the WTS is allowed to that. It's one of the few things they're good at.

You are dead meat (quite literally) as far as they are concerned.

Yes, as far as they are concerned, but not as far as God is concerned. Most JWs are too stupid to know the difference.

Amazing: Well, we did have a nice and respectful discussion, so, as long as we can maintain such mutual respect, then I will enjoy giving them some of my time.

In my experience with the JWs and as one, the "mutual respect" is rarely genuine. They're pretty good at putting on a show of being respectful, but as soon as your door is closed they start talking trash about you. Remember, their ultimate purpose in life can only be achieved through our (worldlyâ„¢ people's) destruction, and they pray for it every day. I can't see myself spending any time on them.

W

• blondie
    blondie

If I had a dollar for every time they flubbed up on a "do not call" I could have retired. After being told to skip a house I have seen/heard:

1. One man said: I always disregard those...I'm not afraid.

2. 2 ditzy sisters thought it was the house next door.

3. The person wih the territory took out the slip and misplaced it (not supposed to write on the card)

4. The person with the territory forgot to tell anyone to skip that house.

5. Because of the constant changeover in the rank and file, no one remembered why that house was to be skipped.

6. The rank and file that were told but worked the wrong side of the street.

7. There was no do not call slip put in in the first place.

Blondie

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Maybe on a Witness forum somewhere there is a Witness relating his experience of gathering information about the apostate scene from an unsuspecting apostate who appears unaware that he knows exactly who he is and his history.

Slim

• elatwra
    elatwra

Tell them that you are inrested in a bible study. Then they ll keep coming back forever...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit