How up are you on the music and musical artist, hot today?

by free2beme 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Ironhead
    Ironhead

I'm hopeless on modern acts. Back in the 70s, 80s and early 90s I was an expert. I don't know how but my wife is up to date on everything.

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

being a total music freak, I`m up on the curent bands mostly even at my age!!!! The husband is a musician, and my teenage son is starting his own band, so we pretty much have music on the brains around here 24/7!! My son has just discovered DragonForce, he likes Chevelle, Stone Sour, Breaking Benjamin, Tool. We are pretty open to new bands and the classics ( 80`s & 90`s) Just saw QueensRyche and old rock band fro the 80`s last week at HOB, they rocked!!!! (still)

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

I hate the radio. Who is "hot" on the radio is who the record companies have paid through independent firms hundreds of thousands of dollars for a certain number of "spins" on the radio. Same old sound, same songs over and over, artists who are crap, etc. Not all of course. I think satellite would be the only radio I would listen too, but I have access to music I truly like through other venues. From what I can recall when I used to be forced to listen to radio, there was an insane amount of car toys/tv commercials, dumb psa's, and annoying jockeys. bleck.

• blondie
    blondie

I keep my old favorites but I add about 3 or new artists each year to my CD collection. There really is nothing new under the sun; old becomes new.

Blondie

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Yes I have experienced this also. I am a musician and play out professionally. I try to keep up with music that people will listen to in a bar. That equates to music that is on Juke boxes in various bars. This also equates to music that is made with instruments. I dont listen to music that is not played by someone who has musical ability. I dont listen to rap or hip hop. Rap and hip hop may be my generation gap. I dont know. I dont really consider rap music. Just because they play it on the radio doesnt make it music to me any more than listening to rush limbaugh is music. The hip hop I have heard tends to be samples of other peoples music I dont consider sampling playing music so I dont relate to it and wont go out of my way to listen to it. I am 53 but I still listen to young artist. One that I can think of that makes music that I relate to is Gavin Degraw. The musical generation gap began for me back in the 70's when Kiss came out. I couldnt relate to cartoon characters or their music. When I was in my 20's music by Kiss was for a child like 5 or 6. That is the first generation gap I remember.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    I dont know. I dont really consider rap music.

I don't get it... I mean Hip-Hop is another form of self expresion... Urban Poetry, if you will...

For me music in not just the abillity to play an instument... but also the gift of being able to compose sound, so that it is pleasing to the ear...

... On sampling... I love it when an artist (especially hip hop artist) sample songs from the 80's... just goes to show that even though their a completely different genere of music, that they have the abillity to recognize other/past good music....

Don't ever judge hip-hop by what you see on MTV, or hear on the radio (booty rap)... remember, Sex sells... so that's what get's air play.... There is so much conciense hip-hop out there, that it's imposible to hear it all... but I tell ya, you'll never hear it on the radio, cause it doesn't make money... ya gotta search it out...

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I'm up on them, even though not all of them deserve record contracts. There is a variety of stations I listen to on (xm) radio, and that keeps me in the loop. So, when I see something like the horrendous mtv awards that just aired, I know all of the songs.

• crankytoe
    crankytoe

I hate the socalled MTV with a passion,

Metal RULEZ!

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Elsewhere said:

I grew up listening to groups like The Smiths, The Cure, Erasure, and The Pet Shop Boys.

The who which?

I stopped keeping track of pop music after the Beatles broke up. I was in my late teens at the time.

Then I got into Dead White Guy music (Classical and Baroque and Romantic), and since then I've been ranging further and further afield in ethnic music ... I started with the Chieftains in the early 70's and I'm listening to Ethiopian saxophonists and upscale mariachi music now.

gently feral

• blondie
    blondie

Because of being a JW, I missed a lot of music from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's. I am catching up. My husband is helping me try new music. I discovered Queen recently. I also listen to Destiny's Child and Nora Jones (guess who's daughter she is...sort of a Beatle connection?).

I'm pretty eclectic. It just has to have a good tune, lyrics that don't stun me into silence, and guarantee deafness.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit