How up are you on the music and musical artist, hot today?

by free2beme 32 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

Then you would love Native Guns.

Funky with a social message.

Favorites also include Gorillaz (OMG must have!!!!)

Chali 2Na of Jurassic 5

Mae

hmmm too tired to think.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Favorites also include Gorillaz (OMG must have!!!!)

I do know about Gorillaz. My daughter played the video and mp3 for me when I was out in Connecticut last year. Very funky beat for sure.

• lowden
    lowden

As a musician and performer i think that there is very little music coming through nowadays that is of the quality that would ensure it's going to still be being played in 20-30yrs time.

I would say i'm UP on the stuff that's good but it's not outstanding. Sadly the Record Companies control alot of what we listen to.

Many of the great artists are still recording and producing good stuff. Much of the good music is being made by artists that the major companies won't go near because they want the quick sell, which is usually the disposable tat.

Peace

Lowden

• LDH
    LDH

FHN here's where I hear a lot of great world music....if you can get past the bleeding heart liberals. But wait, you'll love that part!

http://www.kpfa.org/ out of bizzerkly Berkeley.

click on "jump to"

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

bleeding heart liberals. But wait, you'll love that part!

Thanks, Lisa. I'll have to look it up tomorrow sometime. Believe it or not, Lisa, I am not really a tree hugging hippie global warming spouting conservation extremist fur spray painter liberal. I couldn't tell you who the bleeding heart liberals are. I do know I don't like what Bush is doing and I do vote for some kind of universal health plan though. I don't care for the wacko extremists from either party.

Politics can inspire good music though. "Won't you please come to Chicago? Show your face. We can change the world. Rearrange the world. It's dying. To get better." "Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming. We're finally on our own. This summer I hear the drumming. Four dead in Ohio. Gotta get down to it. Soldiers are gunning us down. Should have been done long ago. What if you knew her and found her dead on the ground? How can you run when you know?" Those songs sound good to this day. And in retrospect, I like Nixon though I disliked him at the time. I was a kid, what can I say?

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    I am not really a tree hugging hippie global warming spouting conservation extremist fur spray painter liberal. I couldn't tell you who the bleeding heart liberals are. I do know I don't like what Bush is doing and I do vote for some kind of universal health plan though. I don't care for the wacko extremists from either party.

That might be me in a few more years. But for now.. I just love old Bruce singing...Devils and Dust. A true patriotic song!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I started my marriage as a pretty conservative person. Rush just made me laugh at first, but as more of them came on the scene, the more I questioned what the hell some of them were saying. But the most important influence sending me leftwards (ok to the middle, but it IS in that direction) is my husband-and Michael Savage. I love my husband. I have NO such fondness for Savage-who is appropriately named.

BTW, I like Madonna and Bruce Springsteen, so my age is definitely showing. . .Don't some songs just 'take you back'?

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    Ozomatli
    Immortal Technique
    Jurassic 5

You are cool Lisa (not that I had to tell ya that)

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I have great delight in telling others that my children and I have similar taste in music. They came to enjoy my punk/pop/underground records. We still go out and see live bands at pubs. And various musos will ask where my kids are if they don't see them.

They have all eventually learned that good music must be pursued, not by accepting what is served up on radio, but by visiting the second hand shops and watching the late night video releases as well as supporting live music.

Then, and only then, can they go and mark their Watchtowers.

Pete.

• Apathy
    Apathy

Hey, why do you keep mentioning sixteen-year-olds? Haha, I know next to nothing about what they play on MTV anymore either. Yesterday my mom and I were flipping through the channels and happened to come across MTV actually playing a music video. We were stunned, to say the least, and my mom kept asking me who the band was. I, of course, had no idea.
    "Uhm... is it the guy from Green Day?"
    "No Apathy, even I know that!"
    "Maybe it's the guy from My Chemical Romance? But... he was more anorexic looking and had a funny accent."
    Turned out to be some band called Thirty Seconds to Mars. (Which made me feel rather like an old woman.) Oh well, I'd rather listen to David Bowie or T. Rex or something, anyways.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit