Why is the WTBTS so against mental health professional treatment?

by Gill 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gill
    Gill

Gary And that's why it's not a good idea for JWs to go and see psychiatrists!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Gary, that was hilarious

I wonder how a psychiatrist would react to being told that lol

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

Well, the society can't control the mental health profession and its views. When a mental health professional treats a dub or other conservative Christian, they can certainly see some aspects of mind control. On the other hand, red hot issues such as homosexuality and modern psychology's view of it really conflict with bible teachings. There has been movement on the both camps to be respectfully of each view while maintaining a core belief of its own. The society isn't as vitriolic in its views today as it once was (although there are strong undercurrents that are very anti-psychology). Also, many psychologist aren't anti-religious or atheist as they are made up to be.

As we know, many religions use guilt and fear to keep people in line and actually, these emotions have kept people from engaging in destructive behavior. The part that upsets most people though is the deliberate overuse of this emotional manipulation and the overstepping of church authority. This has led to much depression, anxiety and a host of other type of mental afflictions. I think that people have a certain mental threshold that if they are pushed too hard, it tips them past their emotional ability to handle the dissonances. Then what ever mental predisposed weakness they have will start to exhibit itself (note: illness that are more physiological based will exhibit itself regardless but the influence of the organization can exacerbate the illness) So the illness is related to the heavy handed tactics employed by the organization. When the therapist tries to point this out, now the organization feels threatened and hence their adversarial stance toward mental health professional.

I like Gary's explanation better, makes me laugh.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Gary, you are amazing! I need to learn how to write more like that.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

The Watchtower would like to deceive by suggesting that "Jehovah's organization" is the answer for "emotional" problems.

After all, according to the Watchtower magazine, that is where "they say" the "psychiatrist's are going for help!

Contrary to the information contained in the Watchtower magazine, I do not know of any doctor that would recommend a patient to go to Jehovah's Witnesses for psychiatric help. This would be the same as claiming that Jehovah's organization, or Jehovah's Witnesses were written down as a prescription for emotional healing! Watchtower-2005-September-15-p. 9 "Others are led to the earthly part of Jehovah’s organization as a result of their quest for meaning and purpose. Seeking therapy for her own emotional problems, a psychiatrist in Zagreb, Croatia, visited a famous colleague. To her surprise, the doctor gave her the phone number of the branch office of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Zagreb, as well as the name of a Witness he knew. “Look,” he said, “I think these people can help you." Nevada-

• moshe
    moshe

Once a person admits to a therapist that he is not happy, the hunt is on for the things that are depressing you. I remember going to a marriage counselor with my wife who had filed for divorce. She made it to two appointments and refused to go back. The counselor immediately zeroed in on the irrational JW mind-control of my wife on the second visit. Like Gary said a JW either admits to the truth or walks out of the therapists office. I think JW's have a martyrdom syndrome. They may not be wearing bomb belts, but they are destroying themselves and their families with the anti-family JW rules and shunning. They feel good about it,too.

• badboy
    badboy

A PSYCHRIATIST RECOMMONDING JWS?

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS,MAN!

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1
    Watchtower-2005-September-15-p. 9 "Others are led to the earthly part of Jehovah’s organization as a result of their quest for meaning and purpose. Seeking therapy for her own emotional problems, a psychiatrist in Zagreb, Croatia, visited a famous colleague. To her surprise, the doctor gave her the phone number of the branch office of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Zagreb, as well as the name of a Witness he knew. “Look,” he said, “I think these people can help you."

Notice how the "psychiatrist" in Croatia has no name. It never happened, bottom line. The watchtower is famous for making up events and reccomendations.

• badboy
    badboy

ONE DOES WONDER ON SOME STORIES YOU HEAR WHETHER JW OR NOT IF THEY ARE TRUE.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    Scully~

For one thing, mental health professionals teach people to deal with reality (the here and now), and how to overcome irrational thought patterns. This is diametrically opposed to the WTS's goal of getting people to live in a fantasy realm, and implanting irrational, paranoid thought patterns into their behaviour.

That's it! But it's a two way street with the mental health services too.It often takes earnest self-advocacy on the part of patient to convince a doctor of the realities of mind control,brain washing and stockholm syndrome,cognitive dissonance.

(If I tell a radio audience that demons are plotting against me i'm an evangelical preacher.If i tall a psychiatrist that demons are plotting against me i am a deluded paranoid.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit