Do you rather an automatic or manual transmission?

by JH 68 Replies latest jw friends

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Wow. I didnt realise you were allowed to drive and not know how to use the gears!

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

I just bought a 2006 Toyota Tacoma w/ manual 6 speed tranny. The jury's still out on whether it was the right thing to do. I hope it wasn't a brain fart.

Dismembered

• juni
    juni

I've driven more manuals than automatics. I love shifting through the gears, better to get out of the snow drifts and better on the gas. Last car was my baby which I miss - ' 95 Mustang 5.0, 5 speed, convertible. Had to sell it for the money to buy a ' 02 Pontiac Bonneville - a granny car - but my husband needs the room as he's 6' 2.

Juni

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm comfortable with both. My first car for a manual - a 1984 four speed Honda Hatchback in light blue. It took a while for me to learn how to shift the clutch (I had to, we lived in a very hilly area - hated stalling at a stop sign or stoplight on an incline ). I drive an automatic now, but would gladly hop back into a manual.

Josie

• delilah
    delilah

I learned to drive with a stick shift. I love it....if you learn to drive that, you can drive anything!!!!

• moshe
    moshe

I mostly prefer an automatic these days. I made both of my grown kids drive manuals for their first car.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

Automatics are for old people.

Lonleysheep, my lease just ended on my VW jetta. I absolutley loved that car. Unfortunatley, I couldn't afford the payment on the 2006 so I ended up leasing a Subaru Impreza, 5 speed manual. I love it! So much more fun to drive then the Jetta.

• DesertRat
    DesertRat

My first three cars (two VW's followed by a Honda Prelude) were all stick-shift. This 2-door Honda Accord V6 is the first automatic I have ever owned.

I have learned that automatics might be more conducive to stop-and-go city driving, but sometimes I still miss fully being a part of the driving experience. As the surviving son of a hopeless car fiend, I was taught from an early age that some cars (especially the sportier ones) are simply MEANT to be shifted. I must have been around eight or nine years old when my father first taught me to drive stick-shift (in a Fiat Spider we were test-driving).

I will probably keep my present car because I like it so much, but the next one (hopefully one of the classics I dream of) will have to be a manual. An automatic Porsche or Alfa-Romeo would almost be a sacrilege..

DR

• JH
    JH

I must say that with all the traffic and lights and stops these days, a good automatic is nice to have, but you lose the feeling and fun of driving a manual.

What I like today, is that the automatics have an overdrive making it just as economical as the manuals, in many models.

I wonder which is faster from 0 to 60 mph, an automatic or manual in the same car....

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

We have one of each. It seems like the manual is faster off the line. You save some money about $1,000. on a Toyota buying a manual.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit