Do you rather an automatic or manual transmission?

by JH 68 Replies latest jw friends

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I'm not an authority on automatics, but I wouldn't have one.

I love my present car, a Toyota Avensis, far too much to consider anything else for a year or two.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

you would struggle to afford 13 miles to the gallon in the UK.

Current UK price is about 99p per litre. There are 3.84 UK litres to a US gallon.

That makes one US gallon cost £3.81. At todays exchange rate of $1.90 to the pound thats $7.26 per gallon.

I drive 200 miles a week minimum (20 miles to work). At 13 miles the gallon that would cost me $111 dollars per week.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I probably do around 100 miles per week, if that. Work is quite nearby, and I do ours and mums shopping, but not much more. I f we go any distance, we go in Trevs car. He drives to Nottingham every day to work and back, which is around 40 miles in total, and he gets around the other BT sites as well, he's going to Lincoln tomorrow, and Milton Keynes on Tuesday, so his mileage is quite high, but he does get expenses for work - related trips.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I love a stick shift. Automatics just aren't as much fun to drive.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

My very first car was a '56 Ford with a three speed 'on the column'. They don't make those OTC shifters any longer. Later I had a 5 speed on the deck. I liked it. THoughout the intevening 35 years or so I have had many of both. I think I prefer the automatic for cars.

I drove big trucks for a living, so I operated 10, 13, 18 speed transmissions then. Now I just drive a 'yard truck' and move 53 foot trailers in and out of doors at the warehouse. I have an auto tranny in that one. I prefer it.

I guess a lifetime of shifting has made me lazy. But if I had a true sports car - I would like a manual 5 or 6 speed.

Jeff

• james_woods
    james_woods

It is a sad thing to face the facts of getting older -

Did you know that most new Ferrari cars are now delivered with an automatic transmission, and that their latest and greatest (the Enzo) does not even have the option of the traditional manual in the gated gearshift plate?

Did you know that Michael Shumacher drove his last race for Ferrari and almost all of his championship wins with an automatic transmission?

I have all this on the most credible authority from the very British source "Sir Nigel Shiftright".

Automatics? Even the Synchromesh is for weenies.

James - who bumped this thread because he wanted to read all the replies without having to resort to "my posts".

• buriram
    buriram

I rather an auto , me dont like those damn shifters

• JH
    JH

I'M getting used to my new manual car. It,s just that I hate starting in a hill.

In heavy traffic jams, it's a pain too.

Other than that, it's fun to drive.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

While I've driven a few different autos I've never owned one. I learned to drive a stick shift and always bought those. They definitely have much more control, especially if you're going for a handbrake turn

In the UK if you take your driving test in an auto you have to retake it in a manual, if you want to drive manuals. There's no such restriction the other way around. Looking at some of the comments on this thread, I can see why

I miss my '73 MGB GT with overdrive

• james_woods
    james_woods

Little Toe, maybe I am off topic a little, but that MGB/GT was indeed a very cool car.

When I spent about 3 or 4 weeks touring England & Scotland back in the late 80s I kind of got the feeling that there were way more of the GT model MGs running around than there were roadsters, and also that the majority seemed to be orange or red rather than the dark British Racing Green that I had expected.

I just wanted to ask if this was your impression as well?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit