Do you rather an automatic or manual transmission?

by JH 68 Replies latest jw friends

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

I wonder which is faster from 0 to 60 mph, an automatic or manual in the same car..

---------------------------

manual -- but, only if the driver delays the upshifts.

anyhow, my car has manual mode, and a "sport" automatic mode which delays the upshifts...

-silent

• raylo
    raylo

Hands down, I prefer manual. I learned how to drive my first one in less than a day in high school and fell in love with it, but since that was my mother's car I myself did not have a manual for another 6 years when I bought a manual shift full sized pickup truck. I'd never driven a full sized truck, much less a manual one as I had an automatic car for those 6 years, but my dad (who is a big rig driver) said I drove it better than he ..the professional..drove manuals. I lost that truck in that damn hurricane last year, so I got an SUV and it's an automatic and I get annoyed driving it when I can't shift the way I WANT it shifted..lol. I live on a VERY hilly area which should make a manual a nuisance, but I find myself really wanting a manual. I think once I'm finished with this SUV, I'm buying another full sized 5 speed manual pickup truck.

raylo

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I think driving a manual is more immediate, you are definately in control of the vehicle and you are in tune with the car and how it is responding.

I drive an automatic when I visit my dad and nothing on earth is going to convince me that they are as nippy and agile as a manual. They are slow and clunky, and the vehicle doesnt respond as quickly as your thinking time. You have to think, then allow another second for the vehicle to catch up. Theres no way an automatic system can get into position immediately you decide it like you can slam a gear in.

Also with a manual you dont have to work you way through all the gears in strict order (another slowing factor). You can go straight from 3rd to 5th, or down from 5th to 2nd if you are slowing quickly.

I like the control. I dont think driving an automatic is proper driving. Its like doing maths with a calculator so that you dont understand all the fuctions and processes properly. IMO.

• lowden
    lowden

A customer and friend of mine has just bought a 1973 V12 E-Tpye Jaguar........in British Racing Green. Even describing it makes my tongue hang out!!

I must admit though, to being slightly disappointed when i saw the AUTOMATIC gears. He's not bothered though and i don't suppose i would be. 160mph, dripping with sex and one of the coolest cars to ever come off the line. The ultimate posers car. I WANT ONE !!

Two words FANNY and MAGNET.

Peace

Lowden

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Im sorry Lowden. The automatic transmission would just make me think the driver was a big girls blouse and I would NEVER cop off with him, no matter how lush the car was.

Pahhhh. Automatics are for pussies, not real men.

• lowden
    lowden

Yeah.....but ....the car's lovely.....and........it's....

Oh balls, yer right. I must admit i wasn't quite as aroused when i saw the gear stick. Nice loooong bonnet though.

Peace

Lowden

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

hahahahaha check out the advert at the bottom - Jobs in Petroleum! How do they do that?

The only car thats ever turned me on is a Mark 1 Ford escourt in Mexico Orange. Ahhhhh lovely...... (I used to have one but couldnt afford the tax when I got divorced and it got towed eventually )

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

In small cars I prefer manual, but gimme a nice V8 and the modern auto transmissions are great.

I must admit though, that even those big V8s might be much more fun with a manual box when you really want to get into it on our Kiwi back country roads.

From my recent experience on Canadian roads, there is no road exciting enough to warrent a manual box.

• alienagent
    alienagent

My first car was a manual. Hated it at first but once I mastered it I learned to love it. However, now that I do a lot of city driving I do prefer an automatic. Yes, I too am a coffee sipper, not to mention a cell phone chatter (yeah, dangerous I know) so I may forever own an automatic. I love my '98 Nissan Sentra. She has been faithful up to 120k miles so far. I hope the pic came over over ok. I was dating a Russian exchange student and she returned to her country she sent me her expired license plate. I placed it on my front bumper. **sigh** I miss her.

alienagent

• nsrn
    nsrn

Okay, I'm an automatic transmission only kind of person, I am embarassed to say. I can drive a manual if I must, but have never been comfortable with it. I have driven my husband's 87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (it's 5 speed) and let's just say it wasn't pretty. My big ole Durango is auto, but it also is 4WD, which is a requirement to me. Just wish it got more than 13 miles/gallon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit