Does the GB truly beleive they are being used by God

by sspo 38 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Think about it logically. If they were used by God, HOW does God communicate his thoughts to them???

Does one of them go into a trance and write things down, etc? Or, does God communicate verbally to one of them. If this were actually so, they would have to put it down in writing like in the Bible saying: "on such and such a date the Lord God Jehovah spoke to Brother ______ and said ................." If this were so, I would also like to meet and shake the hand of any such brother!

Can they produce any REAL evidence like this?

L

• blondie
    blondie

Time to read or re-read The True Believer by Eric Hoffer.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Eric_Hoffer

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

They may believe it, they may not. I can see some of them believing it more than others. Particularly the older ones.

• Mary
    Mary

Does the GB truly beleive they are being used by God

Hmmm....hard to say, but I doubt it. It's kinda like asking if Queen Elizabeth actually believes that she has her position "by the Grace of God", or if it's just a quirk of fate that she was born into it. James I was beheaded because he believed so devoutly in the Divine Rule of Kings, but I think we've come a long way since then.

I think the earlier leaders of the Organization (Russell, Rutherford, Knorr) literally thought they were God's Chosen Ones. With all the failed prophecies, the exposure of the the UN and pedophile fiascos, the flip flopping of doctrines and their history of getting it wrong 100% of the time, I think the present GB members are more than aware that they are not anything special although they'd rather die than admit this. Just because you use the name "Jehovah", doesn't mean He's your best friend or even that He likes you.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Mary,

I agree with you. Just because they use the name Jehovah doesn't mean he likes them. After all, THEY took that name. He didn't speak down from heaven and give it to them. Are they being presumptuous?? As I mentioned in my previous post: they would have to name times and dates that God supposedly spoke to or communicated to them.

Do I have a RIGHT to ask this??? I think I do. In the Bible everything is set out about who spoke to whom and when, etc.

But, modern day witnesses do not feel they have to account for or prove anything to anybody. They just expect gullible people to believe their boastful claims just because they said so.

L

• TopHat
    TopHat

Burnt in my memoy is the way the GB treated the two faithful pioneer brothers who made a special trip to Brooklyn from Ireland. They (the gb) refused to talk to them....Yet they knew who they were and knew they were coming. These Leaders in the pioneer service in Ireland could not believe they were being snobed after telling the Catholics at the door how they could have easy access to the Governing Body but the Pope will not see just anybody that is a Catholic member. How nieve and fooled by the GB these good brothers of the so called truth were.

You will find their experience written in the COC book.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I suppose that some of them are deluded or arrogant enough to believe in some kind of direct link to God.

However, COC pinpoints enough truly cynical political posturing within the GB to prevent me from believing that all of the do. In fact, I think that there may be an inverse proportion going on here - the more politically powerful a member is, the more cynical and unlikely to honestly believe God is really directing the group. Otherwise, they would not feel the need to play political games.

An example - the insistence on that 2/3 majority rule; obviously somebody in power wanted to stunt the ability of a simple majority to get something passed. And, the way Franz relates that for years a change was favored by a clear majority, but was blocked by that 2/3 majority by the leader and his cronies.

Jehovah's divine direction, indeed. When pigs shall fly.

• proplog2
    proplog2

George Bush believes he was chosen by God to lead America. If you believe in God you tend to use that as the lens for focusing on everything. Suddenly everything becomes providential. That's what puts relgious people into the danger zone.

• lowden
    lowden

A LIAR KNOWS WHEN THEY HAVE LIED!!

Now though, they are way too deep in the crap to admit they are wrong and they believe they have to carry on.

Peace

Lowden

• done4good
    done4good
    A LIAR KNOWS WHEN THEY HAVE LIED!!

Except, when they are delusional. Most in jw land are.

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit