London

by bikerchic 77 Replies latest jw friends

• south african beef
    south african beef

Yeah all the guidebooks are probably written by southerners - that's because nobody up north can write properly!

The Lake District is ok I suppose - a few hills and loads of sheep and downmarket hotels, plus it always rains!

It always rains in Manchester as well doesn't it Dansk - that's probably the cause of all the northerners deep seated insecurities which makes them slag the south of - it's called jealousy!

I'll let you know very soon about the aposta curry, my wife will have to try and get that day off work (an alien concept to most in the north - that's where my 40% tax goes, to pay for the northeners giro cheques!).

• BritBoy
    BritBoy
    Thank goodness for flights from Londons 4 (four) international airports all with connections direct to Glasgow.

I take it you are including Luton in those four? Luton is more than 30 miles from London (50km), and a city in it's own right. Why even Gatwick is another county!!! Even Heathrow is pushing it... London City Airport I'll give you!!!

• BritBoy
    BritBoy
    I'll let you know very soon about the aposta curry, my wife will have to try and get that day off work (an alien concept to most in the north - that's where my 40% tax goes, to pay for the northeners giro cheques!).

My 40% tax goes to all the single mums and grandmothers and great grandmothers ala Vicky Pollard here in the midlands. Grrrr don't get me started on this one.... ever heard of a CONDOM girls??????

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Yeah all the guidebooks are probably written by southerners - that's because nobody up north can write properly!

Well. First your geography lets you down and now you show your ignorance of the North being the bastion of English literature!

The Lake District is ok I suppose - a few hills and loads of sheep and downmarket hotels, plus it always rains!

Wow, almost a southern compliment! You're cracking, SAB!

It always rains in Manchester as well doesn't it Dansk - that's probably the cause of all the northerners deep seated insecurities which makes them slag the south of - it's called jealousy!

Actually, that's a myth. We've had some of the sunniest weather up here in the North of late. Manchester used to be wet, hence the cotton trade up here, but there's been a weather shift! I also don't know a single northerner jealous of the south!

Great about the Aposta Curry. Should be good fun! As for working being an alien concept up here, who the heck do you think keeps all the shops open for your southern tourists who, incidentally, want to move house and live up here!

Regarding the giro cheques, you're thinking of Scousers! Whoops (ducking) but that's another story!

Ian

• south african beef
    south african beef

Yeah I'll give you that one about the scousers Dansk - couldn't agree more.

Some Southerners do want to move up north, usually to retire and buy a massive house with their money. I must admit you don't get so much for your money down here but that is because of the simple law of economics - supply and demand. Most people want to come and live in the south. There are one bedroom flats in Docklands renting out at over 1k/week - that's because Canary Wharf now challenges the City in being the financial center of England/Britain/Europe.

By the way going back to your boast about Manchester hosting the Commonwealth Games - everyone knows they got that as a consolation prize for being unable to land the Olympics despite trying again and again and again.

It's a fact that the IOC would not consider a bid for the Olympics to be held in Britain unless there was a London bid. Oh, there was a London bid and we won it! Bad luck!

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

“That's what I'm saying! All the guide book writers (likely written by southerners) have never been past Watford Gap!! Foreigners need to get the true picture and find out why it is that Londoners hide the truth about Manchester and other illustrious northern parts - they're far superior!”
    Sorry Dansk but I have to disagree here, tourists will seek out and find the best parts of any country, if Manchester had a worthy culture and environment for tourism it would have been exploited. As for other worthy northern cities being hidden by a southern conspiracy, what about York a fantastic place and full of Americans on day trips from London last time I visited. Lets just face it, you have a anti-London bias which is common to people in your part of the world and born from jealousy.

• south african beef
    south african beef

Well done Peppermint - at last a voice of reason on the subject!

• south african beef
    south african beef

Oh and finally Dansk I've just looked at the weather forecast. Out of the next five days it's going to rain on three of them in Manchester and not once in London, and it's going to be at least 3 degrees warmer down south - I rest my case!

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Cool Mulan! Someday we'll have to get together and compare collections! I bet you've been to most of those places unlike me who lives vicariously through other peoples travels.

Yes I have. The only one I didn't buy for myself was the one from Las Vegas and one of our daughters in law bought it for me. I've been to Vegas many times but not to the Hard Rock Cafe (Hotel).

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Well done Peppermint - at last a voice of reason on the subject!

Oh, sure, it would be, wouldn't it - him being a southerner! As for us northerners being jealous of the south? Ha Ha Ha Ha , sorry, but from someone with mates down there and having been - no thanks, I'd rather move further north than go down south, truthfully! Yorkshire is taking in more southerners as they sell up and move to a superior, yet cheaper, location. One of my southern mates who lives up here says there's no way he'd move back south, even though he was born and bred there. He says we're far friendlier up here! The more people who move to London, generally foreigners, the more southerners we see moving up here. Peppermint, are you coming to the Aposta Curry! Bikerchic, I bet you can't believe what you've started! SAB, had to break off, just picked over 30lb of damsons from my own garden. Jam anyone? Ian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit