JW sighting at the supermarket

by Scully 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

Last weekend I was picking up a few things for dinner and was just ringing through the order when I noticed the person behind me examining the cake I was buying a little too closely. It was a JW woman we used to know. Apparently she was hell bent on figuring out whether this cake was for some kind of celebration (it wasn't) so she could run back to her husband the Elder™ and try to cause trouble for me. I confronted her:

Me: "Hey there, (name), is there something wrong with the cake that I didn't notice?"

Her: "Oh hi" (obviously flustered and embarrassed about being caught) "No, it looks great. Is it an ice cream cake or a regular cake?"

Me: "It's a regular cake. I think they have another one like it at the bakery on the mark-down rack. Can you believe they sell them at half price??"

Her: (Still flustered) "I was just wondering because it says the flavour is ************** and I've only ever seen that in ice cream." (recovering composure) "So how are you guys?"

Me: "We're all doing great - never been better!! How about you? Everyone ok?"

Her: "Well you know how it is.... just so busy all the time... hard to keep up.... working nights helping (husband) clean. Are you still doing shiftwork?"

Me: "Oh yeah... I love it. It might be different if I were full time, but I'm only working 2 nights a week and pick up an extra shift here and there, so it's really not that difficult. The money is awesome too. Going back to school was the best decision I've ever made with my life."

I made a point of NOT asking her whether she was happy with her lifestyle. I mainly wanted to let her know that leaving The Truth™ wasn't a recipe for disaster, that we weren't miserable without the JWs, that our kids were still good kids, in spite of all the dire fearful warnings the WTS brainwashed us with.

I couldn't help but notice how worn and tired she looked. And how her disappointment was visible at the news that we are doing just fine thanks.

• Moomin
    Moomin

her disappointment was visible at the news that we are doing just fine thanks.

Isn't that horrible the way they must hope that we are miserable? It's such a hurtful hateful thing and at the same time I feel pity for them as you said how tired she looked and just imagining the lifestyle makes me feel so exhausted.

That's great how you started talking to her, I hope I'll be able to speak up to them if I ever seen any.
    Hope you enjoyed your cake.

• Zuko
    Zuko

I always do the same thing. Since most of my family is in still I occasionally see people from the hall and I make a point to tell them how great everything is now. I like rubbing it in.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I saw an old " friend " at the grocery store and he looked so tired and depressed . His wife is a wonderful person and has pioneered forever , but she always looks like she is worn down . He tried to ask in a concerned voice how we were doing and I just reassured him that we were great ! I could tell this really confuses them . I really feel sad for them .

• garybuss
    garybuss

Witnesses born the year I quit going to Jehovah's Witness meetings are 32 years old this year. I could have a Witness IN my cake and I wouldn't know them:-)

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    I mainly wanted to let her know that leaving The Truth™ wasn't a recipe for disaster, that we weren't miserable without the JWs,

Good for you Scully!

That's the best thing we can do as ex jws - let the ones still in see there is a life, and a happy one at that, beyond the org. It knocks their pet theory that anyone leaving automatically becomes lonely and miserable.

There is a jw in my office at work, and I make sure she knows how happy I am these days, and if anything really positive happens in my life, she is one of the first to hear.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Nosy *%^&*+^&"!!!!!!

the flavour is **************

I absolutely adore that flavour

Why can't you reveal the flavour? Or is that you can't spell it?

Ian

• Mary
    Mary
    I couldn't help but notice how worn and tired she looked. And how her disappointment was visible at the news that we are doing just fine thanks.

Actually Scully, I think she was more disappointed that your cake didn't say "Happy Birthday" on it. You denied her the pleasure of causing you trouble......you should be ashamed of yourself.

• Scully
    Scully

Mary

I think you're absolutely right that she was disappointed that it wasn't a birthday cake. A couple of weeks ago it might have been, but I have a good friend who gave me an amazing one so we didn't have to buy one (and get caught! ) LOL

the flavour is **************

I absolutely adore that flavour Why can't you reveal the flavour? Or is that you can't spell it?

Ian

I thought it would be a dead giveaway as to who I am in case the person ever ignored WTS instructions and visited this Apostate Website™.

But since I adore that flavour too, I'll put it in a special font for you: Jamocha almond fudge

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Yesterday, my wife and I were in Sam's Club and I saw a woman my aunt studied with and successfully "aided" into the lie some many years ago.

I now have a beard, so I am obviously now a worldling, but I loudly said, "(Her name)?? That is you! Wow! It's been a long time." She didn't recognize me at first (it has been a long time), but I announced myself and she burst into a confused sort of grin. Several people were on the aisle. I just walked up with my arms outstretched for a hug. And we chatted for a while before parting ways.

The "Truth™" never came up once in the conversation.

I refuse to let them choose my course of conduct, I was my usual friendly self. I didn't go out of my way to say hello, and I didn't force or restrain any behaviors. I felt GREAT afterwards. My wife later said, "You weren't supposed to talk to her." That was the same response she gave after I chatted at length with an elderly sister (who I've known all my life) in the parking lot of the District Convention.

I just smilingly said, "I'm not bound by any organization's rules, I am free. She wasn't supposed to talk to me. I have nothing to be ashamed of, I can express love freely to whomever I want."

Scully, your experience was powerful testament to freedom. They are confused by freedom. They are afraid of freedom. They have become institutionalized, just like a career prisoner.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit