NOT accepting appointments/privileges

by Alligator Wisdom 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

Things must now be quite different to what was the case 20 - 25 years ago!

Then, the congregations had a huge mob of Wanabees, climbing over each other for appointment.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I was asked a month before the CO visit to "go out alot with the CO during his visit"..... for the elders "were more than happy to recommend me?"

I nicely declined! You should have seen the look onhis face

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

i told the elders that i did not qualify scripturally, based on the qualifications listed in 1 Tim. 3:1-10; esp verse one: "If any man is reaching out for an office of overseer, he is desirous of a fine work." i told the elders that i dont desire to do this, so i wont. the only thing i desire, i would get df'd for.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

As I remember, back in the early 70's elders were not under as much pressure. There were not as many offenses for which you could be disfellowshipped, thus fewer judicial meetings. I don't think the Hospital Liasson committees had yet been formed, and there were fewer problems in the congregations, so the elders didn't have quite as much stress to deal with.

I was pretty unhappy about Clyde turning down the eldership at the time (I admit I wanted a husband with a title), but now am so totally thankful. I can only imagine the problems our family would have had because Clyde has always been a bit of an independent thinker.

• Dansk
    Dansk

I wish now I didn't accept!

Ian

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

The first time I was asked to be an MS I was 17, and excited at the prospect of serving in God's organization. I was an MS for a few months.

I have since declined appointment as MS twice. I wanted nothing to do with politics or pretention.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

If you have been attending most of your life from a young age and dont make MS by say mid 20's, then your life tends to crowd out the possibility of enough service (WTS rules) as wives and kids take your time. The Elders then tend to see you as weak, and not recommendable. When I was young I guess I craved the position or title, but soon after I couldnt have allowed myself to be a part of the congregations politics, with all the MS' seeing what asignments they got and boasting about it. I'm certain I would hold back to not allow them to recommend me, as I dont know if I would have been able to say no, as others have said it seems a sin to say no at the time.

CS 101

• freetosee
    freetosee
    Bonnzo: i told the elders that i did not qualify scripturally, based on the qualifications listed in 1 Tim. 3:1-10; esp verse one: "If any man is reaching out for an office of overseer, he is desirous of a fine work." i told the elders that i dont desire to do this, so i wont. the only thing i desire, i would get df'd for.(LOL)

Excellent reply!

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I got in the doghouse for going to college instead of pioneering. Of course I quit the organization entirely a few months after that. =D

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit