Remember those toolbox-like briefcases some of the brothers had?

by WingCommander 47 Replies latest jw friends

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

I know I sure do! I bet some still carry them. You ALL know what I'm talking about; there were at least 3 brothers in the congregation that had one. Thank god my father wasn't one of them.

Not sure what I am referring to? Need a little walk down memory lane? Think back now......back to a time when you were still a "Dub". Now, home in on the times you sat on the isle. Now pinpoint your mind to see down the isle at all of the "bookbags, breifcases, totes, and breifcases." Now, have you ever seen Brother MS-wannabe, Brother Toiletscruber, or Brother Maintenanceman reach down, unfold two large flaps on a 2 foot high square hard cased breifcase? You have? Well there you go! These things were freakin huge; you could get several bibles, WT publications, literature, song books, and a partridge in a pear tree all in there. I was always reminded that these looked like something an electrician or some other tradesman would carry from job to job, not something a professional "publisher" would carry. I always thought they were the stupidest looking weirdo briefcases to have. Only an obsessed maniac would actually lug that 40 lbs bookbag around all day!

Any other nutty fashion accessory disaster stories YOU'D like to share? Bring 'em on!!

Regards,

Wing Commander

• heatherg
    heatherg

Yeah I remember tripping over those stupid things! Do you remember mostly with the older ones, the leather or hand made bible covers. Usually had a flower or initials on it. hg

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

LOL.........I remember them.(usually the brother that wore white soxs and combed his hair over from his left side of his neck to the right side)......I I used one of those boxes as a footstool at a meeting once before I realized what I was doing. But, hey.....they always had extra stuff in there that I always needed

I think about the organized sisters that had the tracts all alphabatized and in some kind of waterproof plastic baggie.

Pens, paper, little book for RV's, map, anal anal anal.

I pulled about 15 things out of my bookbag before I found what was needed. Could never find my daily text till the reading was over. So it never looked like I ever brought one.

But.....hey.....I looked cool......always had my sunglasses right where I could find them!!!

purps

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

those cases are still around. I see a few of the elders carry them around.

• earthtone
    earthtone

Yes, I remember them. My mom bought my brother a mini one.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Those are not briefcases-they are sample cases-you know, salepeople carry them.

• juni
    juni

All of the elders had those. They would sit on the aisle so that they could put their suitcase there for everyone to trip on. I think it doubled for an overnight bag. Some of them would not use it for f. service. Only for mtgs. They probably had a file on every member in it.

Juni

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Actually, I like my oversize case. A family of four can cram everything they need into a case like this.....

And I don't wear white socks with my dress shoes, and I have a full head of (graying) hair.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I think I was like 11 or 12 my mom got me a bookbag as a gift YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Yep. I remember. My Dad would come home from his greasy, grimy factory job, shower, and put on a suit and tie. He shined his new Florsheim shoes with the tassles, and proudly carried his official elder brief case into the Hall, setting it down by his seat. This let everybody know, someone important was sitting there. Suddenly he was transformed from a lowly factory worker, into someone important! To all outward appearances, he was a well to do businessman, maybe an attorney with files to take to a meeting.

I remember Dad clicking open the important briefcase during the meeting, to take out important books, such as the Aid book, or his Kingdom Ministry. This was accompanied by putting on his scholarly looking reading glasses, and rummaging thru the accordian folders in the top of the briefcase. Sometimes, he would warn me never to look inside because very secret folders were in it, about comittee meetings.

This pomp was very impressive to me, as a child, and to the little old ladies, who could see how sharp the elders were, in their suits and spectacles and smart brief cases.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit