Disco Banned?

by Wordly Andre 37 Replies latest social humour

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine
    The original objecting elder told my friend he could therefoe go but would be removed as an MS if he did.

Talk about a flag! If someone is telling a person that the bible advises against going to a PHIL COLLINS concert than something strange is going on!!! PHIL COLLINS!!!??? Thank goodness I don't have to be subject to that anymore. I'd freak....FTFO!

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine

Something funny I just thought of about the "creature worship" thing...

When I was a kid I wanted a Michael Jackson button (don't laugh) and my dad told me I couldn't have it because it was creature worship.

Not fully understanding what that meant, I would say "He's not a creature."

But now 20 years later, seeing Michael now, I think my dad may have been right after all!

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Thank god I was into Smurf Worship

• Ironhead
    Ironhead

There's an Awake article sometime in 1978. I can't remember what month, but I specifically remembered that they were going on that disco music was associated with homosexuality. i have to find that awake in the attic, my CD-ROM is playing up.

• wonderwoman
    wonderwoman

I remember when I was six my mama had the "Saturday Night Fever" and "Grease" albums. We would dance around the livingroom with her when dad was gone. Then all of a sudden she was trying to sell them at a garage sale, said it wasn't good for witness to listen to and she had to get rid of them etc...She didn't seem too happy about it.

• rebel8
    rebel8

What we were told is that disco music itself was not allowed....because it originated with African Voodoo ritual fertility dances and then the American homosexuals adapted those dances by turning it into disco. The Hustle was said to be worshipping Satan and putting magical spells on people to make them want to have immoral sex. rofl

I think I was about 10 yrs old when my mother insisted I tell my neighborhood pal that....and that's when she stopped being my pal. Imagine an innocent 10 yr old being told dancing in her basement under a disco ball was linked to Satan worship and homosexuality. I don't think either of us even knew what homosexuality was at that age. She probably thought I had gone insane.

I disco now, and I have yet to become a Satan worshipper or homosexual. How ridiculous!

• minimus
    minimus

When I turned 18 in 1974, the first thing that I did was go to a disco. I was a Regular Pioneer and went to the area discos EVERY night. I did that for years, even when I was a MS at 20. Most of the elders then were in their 30s so they didn't get too down on music, whether it be hard rock or disco.

• nsrn
    nsrn

I loved the music at the skating rink get-togethers in the 70's. Once in a while a song would start and then RRRRIPPPP as one of the presiding censors pulled it off the turntable. (That's sort of like a big CD player for you younger folks) You could skate along to the beat of "I Will Survive", breeze in your hair, and actually feel cute and coordinated (of course, not for long; I'm not a very good skater).

Now in my old(er) years, I find myself excited to be holding 2 tickets to the KC and the Sunshine Band "Ultimate Dance Party" Concert for Friday. Includes Gloria Gaynor, Sister(s) Sledge, etc. I'm taking my 20 year old daughter with strict instructions to a)be my designated driver and b)not to laugh at old saggy people pretending to be young--that goes for audience and band, and especially her mom. I'm overdue for a night out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit