Disco Banned?

by Wordly Andre 37 Replies latest social humour

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I am a bit too young to remember this but, Was Disco really banned by the JW's???

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Do you mean going to discos? (or am I misunderstanding the question)

Any entertainment involving music, dancing and worldy people is always banned.

I was never allowed to go to a disco, either school ones, kiddy ones or adult ones. I first went clubbing when I was about 24 (still a JW) and felt totally guilty about it.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

No, Disco Music from the 70's

• Swan
    Swan

Oh, yeah! We weren't even allowed to listen to Disco Star Wars or a Fifth of Beethoven.

It seems that gays invented disco.

Tammy

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Any kind of clubbing was near enough a hanging offence in our cong, though some of the teenagers did go to such places secretly. I remember one 19 year old brother being marked after he was found out.

• pratt1
    pratt1

You bring up an interesting subject.

When disco music first came out, the dubs in the NYC area not only listened to disco music but many of us frequently attended discos.

Sometime in the early 80's the brothers got real strict on our entertainment and the going to discos was the first to go. Soom after disco music was also banned.

I remember me and some friends had a gathering and 2 days before, 2 elders came to my house and lectured me on what records were acceptable to play and what records I could not play.

This really sucked because I used to DJ at many gatherings, so my selection of music went from almost everthing to next to nothing.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

They did ban us from going to see 'Grease' at the summer convention the year it was released. Oooopppps, we had already been to the pictures to see it.

I dont remember any specific style of music being banned, but I do remember Frank Sinatra's 'My Way' being regularly vilified from the platform because the lyrics demonstrated me'ism. Which was unchristian.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

ooh,oooh I know this one .....I grew up in the 70's and disco was Forbidden as the beat promoted sexual urges ....I kid you not ! Those bad drum beats caused un- suspecting youths to fornicate right there under the disco ball .

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Grease and Saturday Night the disco movie were banned too.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

BeeGee's promoted sexual urges?? ha ha ha

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit