Recommend a GOOD film - no snakes, planes or spandex superheroes.

by nicolaou 60 Replies latest social entertainment

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

The Station Agent
    ~Sue

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Yikes, my above post was #666! Am I going to have a bad day yet or what?

Outaservice (getting scared now)

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Equilibrium - It didn't do so well at the box office but I know a lot of people who like it. There are also some scary parallels to JW life in the way a futuristic society is portrayed. Well worth the watch in my opinion.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

OK, here are a few...Lost in Translation (Bill Murray and Scarlett Johanssen), K-Pax (Kevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges), American Beauty (Kevin Spacey and Annette Benning), Ghost World (Scarlett Johanssen), Kingdom of Heaven (Orlando Bloom), A River Runs Through It (Brad Pitt), Legends of the Fall (Brad Pitt), Seven Years In Tibet (Brad Pitt), Hidalgo (Viggo Mortensen), Out of Africa (Meryl Streep and Robert Redford), Chocolat (Juliette Binoche and Johnny Depp), The English Patient (Juliette Binoche and William Dafoe), Garden State (Zach Braff and Natalie Portman), Solaris (George Clooney), Somewhere In Time (Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour), Contact (Jodie Foster), Worlds Fastest Indian (Anthony Hopkins).

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    One of my favorites is "Primer".

It was shot for less than $7000 and is definitely a thinking persons movie. There is usually one copy on the shelf at Blockbuster.

It's about two guys that invent a time machine in their garage and the unknown implications with using it.....

You'll have to watch it at least 3 times to get what is happening, and then look up some forums online to piece it together.

They made that here in Dallas. Great film. I think it was here in Dallas...??? Maybe I am wrong!

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I enjoyed Red Eye.

• gwyneth
    gwyneth
    I enjoyed Red Eye.

This has a PLANE in it, and therefore does not constitute a GOOD film!

• Twitch
    Twitch

"Blade Runner" - sci/fi/detective thing with a twist on what it is to be human

"An American Werewolf in London" - horror/black comedy, first to cross the genres

"The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and her Lover" - drama

"Caddyshack" - comedy classic

• poppers
    poppers

The Emperor's Club
    Second Hand Lions
    Seabiscuit
    Finding Forester
    Saving Private Ryan

• arwen
    arwen

I'm with KatieKitten on "A Beautiful Mind". This was one of the best movies I have ever watched. It is very long but facinating. The ending is really an eye opener.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit