It is that simple!!

by Rooster 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Rooster
    Rooster

John 20:30-31

30 To be sure, Jesus performed many other signs also before the disciples, which are not written down in this scroll. 31 But these have been written down that YOU may believe that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God, and that, because of believing, YOU may have life by means of his name.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yep

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

SImple yes. But far too simple for the average JW to accept. Sad.. it is like saying Jesus ransom wasn'tt quite good enough. You have to work for your salvation!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Yes, it's simple for me.

"believe that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God, and that, because of believing... YOU may have life by means of his name. "

This simple statement implies what? What if I don't believe, then what? If I don't have "life", as stated above, then it must be the other thing -- death.

Personally, I can not honestly and with a true heart, honor and believe in a deity that will kill me if I do not. I can not honor, worship and believe in a god with morals lower than my own. It's simple. I just can't do it.

j

• agapa37
    agapa37

Rooster that is a great scripture. you asked...simple? Id say yes and no! Yes,for the fact that it is easily read. No hard words very simple in its message. on the flip side, Easy to understand, no! To understand scripture in the bible we need to apply some rules. To mention a few, Context and CONTENT. Content being the one im refering to in this case. Content meaning what does the REST OF the bible have to say on this perticular scripture or subject? Thats were the difficulty may arise.

• anewme
    anewme

Simpler is my faith---- God made me, God loves me!

Honestly I have been up here in this cabin thinking thinking thinking now for 5 years and my thesis is completed and this is what I came up with!

Brilliant if I may say so!!!

• Rooster
    Rooster

Personally, I can not honestly and with a true heart, honor and believe in a deity that will kill me if I do not. I can not honor, worship and believe in a god with morals lower than my own. It's simple. I just can't do it.

j

In reply Jesus said to them: "YOU are mistaken, because YOU know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God;
  • mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    To understand scripture in the bible we need to apply some rules.

Sounds like legalism to me *makes a sign of the cross*

• Rooster
    Rooster

1 Corinthians 15: 20-22

However, now Christ has been raised up from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep [in death]. 21 For since death is through a man, resurrection of the dead is also through a man. 22 For just as in Adam all are dying, so also in the Christ all will be made alive.

• Morocco
    Morocco

Yeah, you know I just thought of something. Its probably pretty obvious but I am not a scholar and quite the lurker here. I can't help notice that the Watchtower uses phrases like "you may have life by means of his name", and other parts talking about the life Jesus gives, to indicate that it is the heavenly life, if you are anointed, or it is the earthly paradisaic life if you are part of the great crowd. But I suddenly got the real meaning, here it is talking about gaining SPIRITUAL life, not regular life. Jesus was always talking about becoming spiritually alive, John 5: 24-25 has recorded what Jesus said as a good example:

"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life. I tell you the truth, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live.

How can an alive person be dead yet hear his word and become alive? Unless its talking about a spiritual life? Now that I am out of the WT I can finally see the real meaning to a lot of the scriptures. These dead who “hear the voice” and live are spiritually dead people, not physically dead people. The WT does not like this idea of spiritual life because it robs themselves of the power to provide it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit