Is it possible to go to university and still come out a dub?

by Crumpet 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

The reason I ask is that my best friend all the time I was growing up was a boy about 5 years older than I was. His parents were at lot less strict than mine and as he was super brainy after he finished public school and sixth form he went off to one of the country's finest universities.

The only thing that bugs me now about this is that I know he was incredibly clever - how could he go to uni and still be a dub? Is that possible? Can you still get a great degree whilst ignoring everything you must learnm at uni that tells you the dubs have it very wrong? I believe he became a missionary.

Sadly our friendship ended - he wrote me shortly before I was disfellowshipped second time round that I shouldn't ever contact him again if I was stopping going to meetings again ....

I still miss him now and would love to ask him this, but I can't so I'm asking you guys?

• KW13
    KW13

i think he may of chosen to ignore facts that he could come across, maybe its so automatic things didn't register. dubs will hide from anything or everything IF they WANT to believe it.

i knew a lot of 'clever' people who were dubs, looking back i think i coulda prolly taken them on if i had of known what i know now.

one thing, facts/figures/statistics can be manipulated to show whatever you want them to mean if you play long enough.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I guess it would be possible if no courses in logic or theology or science is taken.

• Dansk
    Dansk

((((((((Crumpet))))))),

I knew a girl who went to Oxford as a Dub and, as far as I know, still is one! Her Dub mother is a teacher.

Ian

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I suppose it would be possible Crumpet, but going to university would be a real test of faith. I spent 3 years at uni myself, pre - dub admittedly, I bought into that crap a few months after I'd graduated. Even then, in the late 70's/early 80s, there was a lot of stuff going down that would have tempted even the most faithful dub, especially as they would have most likely been alone, and I imagine there is even more in the way of temptation nowadays.

I guess it boils down to how brainwashed committed the person is when they go to uni. I can remember a few in my cong who would have liked to go on to uni but didn't because of what they, or more likely the elders, heard about the behaviour of students.

I'm surprised your friend was alowed to go, he must have been determined to do it. If your cong was anything like mine, he would have had some opposition to his plans. And he became a missionary? I don't see the point of going to uni to end up doing that. He may as well have left school at 16.

• blondie
    blondie

I lived in a university town and saw about 10 JW students start every year. Less than 3% stopped being JWs because of going to the university countering the WTS statements that it will bring down their spirituality. It made it hard for the elders in that town to demonize going to the university with so many examples to the contrary. A much higher percentage of JWs left each year because of getting involved romantically with someone at work. Maybe JWs should all work at home.

Blondie

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    I'm surprised your friend was alowed to go, he must have been determined to do it. If your cong was anything like mine, he would have had some opposition to his plans. And he became a missionary? I don't see the point of going to uni to end up doing that. He may as well have left school at 16.

Well his parents were the liberal type - totally opposite to mine and had one foot firmly in the world and the other firmly in the troof - so they had nice houses, nice cars - two kids stayed dubs two didnt. I think he mainly studied languages so that he could be fluent wherever he ended up. I wish that one day he would come here and read.

He did tell me when I was 16 and he was in his early 20's that he had had a period of doubt about the whoel thing when he was 16 - about whether it was teh truth but I was too yougn to understand or dig and admittedly although on my way to being dfed - it wasn't because I didnt believe 100%. If I had not believed so wholeheartedly I might have had some hope and would have stayed and saved my family so we would be together now.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    I wish that one day he would come here and read.

You never know, he might just do that. There was no one in our cong who was a more dedicated jw than me up to a few years ago, and I've ended up here, no longer a jw.

I would love a few of my old friends in the org to come and read on here as well, and have their eyes opened like mine were. Maybe it won't happen, but I live in hope...

• Gill
    Gill

Anyone, even the highly educated, may choose to want to buy into the JW fantasy, or any religious fantasy. You don't have to be stupid to want to believe in an old book, and a promise that you can live forever if you do what a partiuclar religion suggests.

Some of the Muslim suicide bombers chose to believe that they would be rewarded with 72 virgins if they did as they were asked. Some had gone to Uni.

Fantasy appeals to anyone including the educated.

It's what you WANT to believe. That's why you can't get anywhere with committed JWs. They WANT to believe. The thought that what they have been told is untrue is unbearable to them and they WILL NOT listen. Education has no bearing on it.

• agapa37
    agapa37

It is very possible crumpet. JWS are warned (cautioned) about higher learning (INSTITUTIONS, not college courses) because pursuing the HIGHER education that takes yrs of study and dedication can and alot of times cause individuals to FORGET about God. Some stop seeking FIRST the Kingdom and when that happens ...well it is a domino effect, worldly ways tend to creep in unknowingly and the next thing a person knows their priorities are all backwards. Again that could and is very likely to happen but it is not a definite. Some manage to pull it off (fortunately) but are doing it at a very high risk to themselves. Just my opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit