How Many Here Have Ever Been Before A Judicial Committee???

by minimus 63 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I was in over 100 JCs in the years I was an elder. I realized that I truly was no better than anyone else and I hated following the Society's rules as to how to treat "wrongdoers".

• undercover
    undercover

I was the target on only one JC meeting. And I wasn't alone. It came about because of a party a brother had at his parents home while they were out of town. No, it was not one of "those" parties like you see on TV. No alcohol, no sex, no nudity, no nothing. It had snowed and his parents lived on a steep hill, so he had us all come over to go sledding. Afterwards we went inside, had hot chocolate, warmed up by the fire, had a few laughs, went home.

A couple of meetings later, I'm blindsided by an elder who invited me to a JC meeting. Everyone who was there got called in, one at a time.

The guy's mom had a fit when she found out there was a "party" at her house. What sent the elders into panic mode was that there were single brothers and single sisters there...alone...without "adult supervision".

How old do you think we were when this happened? Sixteen? Eighteen? Nope...we were all in our twenties. Two or three of us brothers were MSs.

No real discipline came of JC meetings. The elders determined that no real "sin" had been committed, but we were counseled for not having proper chaperones at our "get togethers".

I was in a few other JC meetings, but usually because somebody I knew was in trouble and I was either a witness or knew something about what happened. I'm proud to say (now, anyway) that I never really squealed on anyone. I told just enough to get me out of it but not implicate my friends anymore than they already were.

I was the subject of a JC meeting at the age of 15. I was not baptized at the time (and I never at any time in my life considered the possibility of becoming baptized). The JC was called as I had found myself in trouble with the local authorities, a byproduct of the intense rebellion I engaged in at that time. Of course, my behavior was blamed on another unbaptized JW boy, and I was told that they "wouldn't announce my name if [I] stopped associating with this young man." I laughed in their faces and asked them to announce my name, which they never did. Ironically, the elder who led the charge against me was subsequently disfellowshipped for cocaine use and adultery. I guess as the saying goes, "he who is without sin, let him cast the first stone." LOL

I did not comply with any of their demands, and decades later, I still associate on occasion with some of the witnesses from the congregation I attended as a kid. I guess they never figured out how to make good on their threats, especially after elder Cokehead got df'd.

• karen96
    karen96

I was before one, the only one I will be before again!

One elder tried to be so PC, you couldn't understand the point he was making. Another, who I was so glad was there, understood completely what was going on in my head, knew I wanted out, and very kindly let me go. Except for my ex being there trying to sit in on the JC, it wasn't a totally bad experience.

Karen

• frozen one
    frozen one

undercover

If there were MS's in their 20's at this get together, wouldn't that qualify as "adult supervision?" What a shameless witch hunt! I can just about imagine the questions.

JC: What were you doing?

UC: We went sledding.

JC: Is "sledding" some sort of sex act? Did it involve touching boobs?

UC: No. Its sledding.

JC: So, "sledding" is a drinking game that involves touching boobs.

UC: No, sledding is sledding. We did drink hot chocolate if that helps.

JC: Hot chocolate spiked with booze. Is that what "sledding" is? Drinking spiked hot chocolate while touching boobs?

UC: No. We went sledding down a snowy hill and then drank hot chocolate because it was cold.

JC: We'll let it go this time. Don't do anything like that again.

• wonderwoman
    wonderwoman

Ohh FrozenOne...
    that was beautiful!!!
    WW
    boobs are naughty dont'cha know.

• Gregor
    Gregor

5 yrs on the elder side of the table once on the accused side side. The one time I was on the accused side it turned out very well. I was DF'd!

• earthtone
    earthtone

Been in 3 and frozen one is exactly on point, on how it all goes down.

• undercover
    undercover
    If there were MS's in their 20's at this get together, wouldn't that qualify as "adult supervision?" What a shameless witch hunt! I can just about imagine the questions.

You'd think it would, but since there were single sisters in there 20s there as well as brothers in there 20s, I guess it negated the whole adult supervision thing. I wonder if old widowers and widows who have get-togethers need to have "adult" supervision?

Your questions may have been tongue in cheek but the underlying theme is correct. Because "young people" were together without "adult" or "parental" supervision, they just had to assume that some kind of hanky panky must have taken place. They did ask if certain ones "sat" together on a couch or (dare I say it...) love seat. Did anyone leave the room together? Were any two people "alone" at any one time? Who rode together to or from the "party"? What kind of beverages were offered?

I remember being flabergasted over the whole thing. I just said no one "sat" together...no one was alone...we all drove seperately (though I couldn't swear to that one, I know I left alone) and no, there was no alcohol (even though we were all of legal age).

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

After 11 years of inactivenesssss I came back and had to clear my slate. Met with JC, was privately reproooved and on my way again. I was the one who approached them from out of nowhere, they didn't even know who I was practically. ( I was never in thier congregation.) Years later I sat on a few committees as one of the three. I remember thinking, who the hell am I to sit here and judge these people? I always faulted on the side of compassion because I'd been a weak person too. Only one was disfellowshipped, but he beat the crap out of his wife and was drunk all the time. Sorry, he needed to go. SHe was too intimidated to leave him. Its been a few years, they are divorced and he is now dead. Drank himself that way. Would have done so whether he were DF'd or not. Poor man was beyond help. Five times to rehab etc. Some people have a death wish. No one in his family honored the DF shunning any way. He was reinstated and DF'd three more times by his new congregation before he died. He was a nice guy when he was sober.

W.Once

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit