do you believe in the stars?

by Cordelia 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I regard astrology the same way I regard religion. Ultimately a load of bollocks that gets in the way of real life.

• Arthur
    Arthur
    I believe that the bio-electrical system is affected by the electro-magnetic forces in the universe... or something like that... lol.

LOL, You know, maybe it's the electrical static coming off of your computer monitor.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

True story: my dad was a copyboy at the state newspaper. One of his jobs was to lay out the page that the horoscopes was on. The horoscope job involved him opening up the box of cards that have horoscopes printed on them, reading a few, picking his favourite (usually the ones that said his star sign was going to do well that week), and printing that. This newspaper has a readership of two million, and I'll bet some people mapped their lives based on the whimsy of my dad's 2am editorship choice.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Believing in astrology is intellectually at least as bad as believing that Jehovah's Witnesses are God's people.

This and Crumpet's comment says it all for me! Don't be so gullible - we've been gullible enough already believing in that JW garbage!.

Ian

• Gill
    Gill

If the stars could tell you anything, it would not be your future but only your past, since what we see is from a long, long time ago.

I think that sums it up!

However, I like Crumpet's opinion......Bollocks!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    Astrology is utter nonsense. You can just as well apply any horoscope given for any person to anyone else, any time

I concur with that statement. I suppose if you really look hard enough, you can find bits of your horoscope that applies to you, but it's not something that I'd ever allow to influence my decisions. I never read my horoscope anyway, and that's nothing to do with being a former jw, I didn't read it before I became one.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Wasn't it astrology that led the three wise men (Larry, Curly & Moe) to the baby Jesus? (albeit a couple of years after he was born...)
    Interesting how the JWs discount astrology, yet it was supposedly God that led the astrologers a different way - to avoid gettin busted.
    Regards,
    Jim TX

• Caedes
    Caedes

I don't believe in astrology at all, though I do find it mildly amusing to read the horoscopes in the papers.

That said when I started at college I met this girl who used to catch the same train as me, we had only known each other for about a week when she wrote about 2 pages of a4 on me supposedly based on my birthdate and birth location and using astrology. This stuff was very specific and not anything we had talked about previously, I have always wondered how she figured some of this stuff out (it was just after I had left home and the witness thing and it was all still fresh and raw and was something I hadn't discussed with anyone at all)

I don't know perhaps she was very good at reading body language but it completely floored me when she gave me this horoscope. She didn't mention anything useful like what the next lottery numbers would be but it was quite accurate nevertheless, even if it didn't convince me about astrology.

• Gill
    Gill

Caedes That's interesting. She knew your past, but not your future! Not mentioning the lottery numbers probably means you're never going to win it big, so don't bother with it. That's just my own little prophecy there, though not based on the stars, I might add.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Gill,

That was the really wierd part, she had written quite a bit about my feelings and how I perceived the world not much about my past or future really. But it was all stuff you wouldn't pick up from some brief conversations on a crowded train. I should also point out she had gone to the same school (different classes) as I did but we didn't meet until college. I suppose she could have been stalking me or something

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit