Celebrating holidays

by dobbie 26 Replies latest jw friends

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I was raised as a witness and have been inactive for eight months . I have always wanted to celebrate birthdays and I am starting next month with my sons . We always had a family dinner on Thanksgiving no big change there, but I 'm not sure about xmas. I would like to spend it with some of our nonwitness relatives ,but I think they would go into shock after all these years .

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    I would like to spend it with some of our nonwitness relatives ,but I think they would go into shock after all these years .

I would reccomend doing it. I did that with some cousins of my husband (when we first got married) and now with my inlaws (since we now live close enough to do so) and it's great. I get to see what a real family celebration of Christmas and Thanksgiving was all about. And it's all about being with the ones you love, family and friends, and keeping those ties close and open.

Josie

• Nowman
    Nowman

I love celebrating the holidays. At first, it was weird because I did not know what to do. Well, I ve been out for 14 years....I have become an extrememly festive person and I have an entire room for just decorations for the holidays, and I love it!!! I started traditions with my kids, traditions I never had, and can't get enough. I have to say though, putting the decorations up is fun, but the taking down is a bitch. Its all worth it to me!

Nikki

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

My mother-in-law & I were discussing this topic. She and her husband "studied"/attended meetings for a few years. They did not celebrate holidays. Then, they saw the sham and left the congregation for various reasons. Now, she regrets having missed her kids birthdays for those few years. Giving birth is such a special day to a woman. As she said, "It's the closest I'll ever be to God was the day of my kids births." She said she was robbed of throwing a big party to celebrate on that day. I agree.

Skeeter

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I celebrated last Christmas, even though it was only a few months after I'd da'd, and I celebrated my birthday in April. I enjoyed myself both times, and I think the enjoyment will be greater the longer I am out of the org. I wouls advise anyone who has left to celebrate occasions like that, even if you feel a little guilty about doing so. Do it because you CAN, it's part of being free from the wts, celebrating birthdays/holidays without having to worry if anyome sees you or not.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Well I just love the warm and fuzziness of it all.

I remember a few years ago writing what I thought was a brilliant witness regarding holidays and birthdays to a workmate. Oh I was so proud, the reasoning was so sound...all about "loving truth" blah blah blah. And I'll never forget the look on his face, it was like "but I like to just go to a party and have a fun time" type look. And I remember wondering, where did I miss?

Now...fa getaboutit! I love the holiday season...but I'm not there just yet with Xmas. I get gifts for my workmates around that time and I genuinely LOVE doing it. I am doing birthdays...it felt REALLY odd at first. But I know that as far as my workmates are concerned, it is that they are thinking of you. I am always touched by the little think they give you, and you know they saw it and thought about you. I think that is what it is all about really, just honoring your life here on earth.

Some my family, ones that are no longer JW. have started the Family Day in ernest. We go absolutely crazy...I guess it was all those years of no presents. EAch year I tell them we can pick names...but it seems we all just like the chore of finding something for each other. And wrapping...and well the kids just go nuts...and it is such a happy time.

Ease into it or jump right in with both feet...do what is right for you.

• Mamacat
    Mamacat

I love birthdays and Christmas! I don't even care if I get presents...I just want to hear "Happy Birthday" and "Merry Christmas" At first, it was hard for me to say Merry Christmas back to people, like the cashier at the store. Now, I am the one who says it first to them. I'm the mom that makes up the cool little treat bags for all the kids for the class parties. lol I'm making up for lost time here.

Easter perplexes me...I don't understand the holiday. But we still do the Easter baskets for the kids. Halloween is a weird one for me too, but I do take the kids out trick or treating...I'm trying to get into it. I dressed up last year for the first time ever in my life! I think hearing how "pagan" these two holidays are for years made me cynical of them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit