Kingdom Hall Experiences

by KW13 48 Replies latest jw friends

• KW13
    KW13

What things happened at your meetings that annoyed you?

Was it at a hall ya visited? Did it happen more than once?

I remember the most annoying PERSON was my ma'. She'd prod me with Biro's if i tried to sleep or if i started to drift off, nothing more annoying than that.

One experience was when i whispered to a friend, before the meeting started and some snotty sister told me to tell her what i said, since were not allowed to whisper in the hall - i told her where to go lol. (not long before i left)

When i was heading up to being an unbaptized pub. someone told to the elders saying i was swearing so i didn't get it, then 'oddly' my mates became unbaptized publishers before me...mmm...odd.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

There was an older couple the very zealous type who always sat in the front row right in the middle. He was the school overseerer and she was his assistant, litterally! She would sit and pick her teeth, ears, scratch her head, dig behind her ears, pick her nose, yes her nose and everything would go in her mouth. It was the most discusting thing ever I saw! She and her hubby were "talked" to about it and no change!

I usually would sit so I could not see her because it grossed me out!

Then there was wig lady. I had no idea she wore a wig until I sat behind her and she would adjust it. Everyone else knew she wore a wig but me, LOL. One time her wig got stuck on a button on the back of her dress and nearly came completely off. I heard this upset her so much she missed several meetings out of embarassment. She was a nice lady and her wig really looked natural if she would have just let it alone I'm sure no one would have known she wore one.

• dobbie
    dobbie

I used to hate the way you were expected to keep your babies and children quiet - short of gagging them what could i do?!And i used to hate hearing some of the parents shouting at and smacking them in the little kitchen next to the main room.It used to really annoy me when i'd go into the second room at the back, and the brothers would try to usher me back into the main room i just ignored them in the end and they stopped.

My stepfather took field minstry once a wk and told a sister there who had come out on her own with two young uns to 'control your child' so she had to leave the room which made the other cry.I had my own with me but there were 5 other sisters there and not one of them helped her.It really wound me up the way he spoke to her.

It annoyed me that you'd get counselled for not answering up and when you put your hand up they'd miss you or they'd always stick to choosing the same ones.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    And i used to hate hearing some of the parents shouting at and smacking them in the little kitchen next to the main room

I used to hate being taken out and spanked. It was like a regular feature. Song, Prayer, Public talk. Spanking. Watchtower. Song. Prayer.

• KW13
    KW13
    I used to hate being taken out and spanked. It was like a regular feature.

i remember mum was crying in the bathroom once, and there was quite a fuss over it, anyway while i was outside wondering why she was crying, an elder said to me "its your fault your mums crying" or something to that effect. i was upset and felt scared since no one was there to defend me.

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

The dude who did the school, counselling people on "pronounciation". Retard.

People whom had a spouse pass away, and were married again within 6 months????????? wtf? We had a couple of those.

I remember the memorials, we had people there make the bread stuff. Apparently, whatever recipe they used for it made way more than was necessary (considering nobody ate any anyhow.), and there would be tons of leftover. They would give it out to the little kids right after the memorial. Apparently the bread only had meaning while it was on the plate being passed around.

• aarque
    aarque

I remember when the wife of the PO came up to my sister and I (we were in our late teens) and said "Hi kids" and in the next breath said to a very young girl "wow, you are so grown up!" My sister and I were pissed.... so was my mother, too. I also remember no one ever getting my name right; they would always mix me up with my three sisters. For weeks one sister would stop me and say, "Now, which one are you?" and laugh and go through my sisters' names, but she never remembered mine. Every time I would tell her my name. Until one day, I was so sick and tired of it that when she called me by my sister's name, I said "Wrong! Guess again!" she got mad, told me I was disrespectful and told my mother what I'd said. My mom (bless her heart) told me what the sister said, told her she would talk to me about it - and she said to me that she didn't blame me one bit for what I'd said.

• KW13
    KW13
    I remember the memorials, we had people there make the bread stuff. ; Apparently, whatever recipe they used for it made way more than was necessary (considering nobody ate any anyhow.), and there would be tons of leftover. ; They would give it out to the little kids right after the memorial. ; Apparently the bread only had meaning while it was on the plate being passed around.

as a kid i saw that, and i never used to touch it, it felt wrong.

I remember when the wife of the PO came up to my sister and I (we were in our late teens) and said "Hi kids" and in the next breath said to a very young girl "wow, you are so grown up!" My sister and I were pissed.... so was my mother, too. I also remember no one ever getting my name right; they would always mix me up with my three sisters. For weeks one sister would stop me and say, "Now, which one are you?" and laugh and go through my sisters' names, but she never remembered mine. Every time I would tell her my name. Until one day, I was so sick and tired of it that when she called me by my sister's name, ;I said "Wrong! Guess again!" she got mad, told me I was disrespectful ; and told my mother what I'd said. My mom (bless her heart) told me what the sister said, told her she would talk to me about it ; - and she said to me that she didn't blame me one bit ;for what I'd said.

Some of the bro's and sisters were very patronizing. Seemed they made an art out of it.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Getting spanked by somebody elses parents. That was a real bummer.

• dobbie
    dobbie

KK you poor thing sounds like you got spanked a lot! Just thought of another thing that used to annoy me - breastfeeding on the hall.Had to sit on a chair in the kitchen and although they knew we'd b inthere feeding brothers would just march on in - couldn't they at least wait 5 minutes to get a glass of water?Even when they did finally put a lock on the door they'd still be knocking at the door disturbing us - aagh!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit