IS EVOLUTION THE ANSWER?

by Dansk 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Dansk
    Dansk

I'm currently reading Richard Dawkin's book The Ancestor's Tale and it suddenly struck me that evolutionists believe all men are equal seeing that we all came from a common ancestor. That being the case, would it not serve man to believe in evolution?

Turn on the T.V. at the moment and all one sees is footage of conflicts around the world, notably in the Lebanon. The war has its roots in religion (as do many/most wars) as the Israeli's are primarily Jewish and the Arabs are primarily Muslim - and yet if we remove their religious tags we find that they are ALL Semites! Therefore, if we get rid of all religion and accept that we are all equal - the evolutionist model (I know, religion supposedly infers that all men are equal but evolution contends that we definitely are, i.e. we are all the same species!) - would it not be better for us all to believe in evolution? What do you think?

Ian

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Here in the South I see a lot of racial hatred/distrust that I never saw before growing up in a place where there were no black people. We all have the exact same genetic code. Now what switches and levers are turned on and off in the code may be different from person to person, the base code is the same. We are all the same. We are all the same! WE ARE ALL THE SAME!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

All men created equal? Don't be silly! People who have invisible leprechauns on their side are obviously superior!

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Evolution is a theory that explains where modern life forms came from and possible directions in which they are headed (we are still evolving). As such it is a mental construct used to explain reality. Many religions accept the theory of evolution, but that does not mean that they automatically promote peace. The problems in Southwest Asia go far deeper than the idea that getting rid of religion will solve them.

Dave

• donkey
    donkey

Good point and post, Dansk.

It further leads one to ask: Are men above animals? Should they all be equal - all have the same right to life or inversely the same right to dominate/prey on each other?

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

Ian

If it would be better to believe in Evolution then we need not answer to anyone here ,we could rape and pillage and murder without a twinge of conscience as no one is in authority except the one who thinks it is his right...do anything as long as you can get a way with it!

Does this sound like dangerous thinking to anyone?

Too bad evolution allows me that privelege does it not?

Steve of the disturbed twisted demented loving happy hateful thinking class of evolutionary thinkers

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

DANSK - I can say without equivocation that RELIGION IS NOT THE ANSWER - Sorry for not exactly answering your question

• Dansk
    Dansk

IP-SEC:

WE ARE ALL THE SAME!

Exactly! Why is it religious fundamentalists and bigots can't see it!

Elsewhere:

People who have invisible leprechauns on their side are obviously superior!

Heck, I'd forgotten about those leprechauns. They have a habit of ruining every argument!

Dave:

The problems in Southwest Asia go far deeper than the idea that getting rid of religion will solve them.

Could you please expand on this? Are you referring to culture?

Donkey:

Should they all be equal - all have the same right to life or inversely the same right to dominate/prey on each other?

Very interesting thoughts!

Woza:

If it would be better to believe in Evolution then we need not answer to anyone here ,we could rape and pillage and murder without a twinge of conscience as no one is in authority except the one who thinks it is his right...do anything as long as you can get a way with it!

I don't agree! I know many evolutionists that who kind, generous and considerate (I know plenty of religious people who are likewise) but many so-called religious people, including Christians, have perpetrated some of the worst atrocities in history! Why would being an evolutionist mean he/she would would resort to the heinous crimes you refer to? I fail to see any connection because those currently in the news that supposedly believe in God are the ones causing the worst crimes!

Stilla:

DANSK - I can say without equivocation that RELIGION IS NOT THE ANSWER - Sorry for not exactly answering your question

On the contrary, I believe you HAVE answered it!

Thanks for all the input!

Ian

• wozadummy
  • Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Hi Dansk,

I agree that religion plays a large part in world conflicts. But I also think that if it were removed completely our species would still demonstrate tribalism. Things could still end up as nasty as they are now, because in evolution, competition is key.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit