RAY FRANZ vs WT PSYCHOPATHS (news)

by DannyHaszard 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Jehovah's witnesses wish you'll answer the door
    The Grand Rapids Press, MI - 1 hour ago
    ... he holds the answer to all your problems. That's why he's calling on you as a Jehovah's Witness. "We view the Bible as having the ... By Charles Honey Press Religion Editor If you see John "Trey" Colburn III coming up your walk with a Bible in his hand, know this: He believes he holds the answer to all your problems. That's why he's calling on you as a Jehovah's Witness. ....... While most people may dread their approach, Jehovah's Witnesses such as Colburn feel called to tell everyone the news of God's plan and Jesus' imminent return. It's a message Witnesses have been preaching since their inception in the 1870s as a Bible study group. Belief that God's kingdom is coming soon -- 1914 is considered the beginning of the End Times -- is a core doctrine of the fast-growing movement take it door-to-door, believing the Apostle Paul taught them to go "house to house." The August issue of Awake! features stories on Witnesses' prohibition against transfusions of whole blood. Harsh realities Despite such glowing testimonials, criticisms of the Witnesses are harsh. A prominent critic is Raymond Franz, formerly of the Witnesses' Governing Body. Franz has charged guilt is heaped on those who don't perform public service, and that many nominal members do not leave for fear of being shunned or having their families broken up. John Colburn Jr. says cases of discipline are rare and usually addressed short of shunning. But if a member persists in serious sinning, Witnesses will "follow the Scriptural admonition to limit our association." Family members still can interact as needed , he says. One scholar who tracks religious groups says he has not heard much about shunning in recent years. He considers the Witnesses "very benign." "The idea of calling them a cult has fallen by the wayside," says the Rev. J. Gordon Melton, director of the Institute for the Study of American Religion. "We've gotten to know them, and we don't feel threatened by them." Although the Witnesses are one of "the two most disliked religious groups" along with Scientologists, their persistent door-to-door calling accounts for their impressive growth , says Melton, editor of "Religions of the World." They are one of just five religious groups present in 200-plus countries, he notes. Further, because the Witnesses won nearly 50 Supreme Court cases for civil and religious liberties, "Some of the basic rights we enjoy today they won for us," Melton adds. That includes the right to knock on people's doors. Although house-calling is expected, Witnesses say they don't do it because they are forced to. "We do the ministry because we love our God and we love our neighbor," says John Colburn Jr. "We're not there to force our beliefs on anyone." Trey Colburn attends a Spanish-speaking congregation at the Grandville Kingdom Hall. He is a Spanish interpreter for Spectrum Health, having earned a degree in international relations from Grand Valley State University. That belief gives him "a certain serenity" as he tracks worrisome international trends. He sees terrorism and warfare as a prelude to the coming kingdom. "I understand why we have the problems, and they're not going to be around much longer. The solution is just around the corner." ---------------------------- Press Religion Editor [email protected] send your comments

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Jehovah's witnesses wish you'll answer the door (click for full article)
    The Grand Rapids Press, MI - 1 hour ago

This propaganda puff piece is so full of lies it blows me away

• Arthur
    Arthur

One scholar who tracks religious groups says he has not heard much about shunning in recent years. He considers the Witnesses "very benign." "The idea of calling them a cult has fallen by the wayside," says the Rev. J. Gordon Melton, director of the Institute for the Study of American Religion. "We've gotten to know them, and we don't feel threatened by them."
    These naive apologists crack me up. It's funny how this Reverend Melton who is not a Witness can say all of these warm, fuzzy, feel good cliches about a group that he has never been a member of. But, then again, maybe he was just excited about being interviewed by the press. I guess all of the ex-members who have had their lives turned upside down are just some sort of anomaly not to be paid attention to.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    While most people may dread their approach, Jehovah's Witnesses such as Colburn feel called to tell everyone the news of God's plan and Jesus' imminent return. It's a message Witnesses have been preaching since their inception in the 1870s as a Bible study group. Belief that God's kingdom is coming soon -- 1914 is considered the beginning of the End Times -- is a core doctrine of the fast-growing movement

Well Watchtower what is it now? Jesus "imminent return" is still pending? You say 1914 end times "is a core doctrine" well didn't Jesus return in 1914?

is a core doctrine of the fast-growing movement

LIE! by your own yearbook admission you have negative or zero growth in countries with internet access

• Arthur
    Arthur

Hey Danny, I just thought of something.

It's kind of funny how this newspaper went to a director of a think tank for an evaluation on the JWs. I wonder why they just didn't quote from a clip of one of J.R. Brown's happy-pap press releases. They would have basically gotten the same kind of quote.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    We do the ministry because we love our God and we love our neighbor," says John Colburn Jr. "We're not there to force our beliefs on anyone."

Really? So the kids I saw earlier with their jw parents aren't having the religion forced on them? They won't be put under pressure to get baptised when they get to 12 or 13? They wil have a choice tomorrow morning about whether they go to the kh or not, and whether they go in the fs afterwards? I don't think so.

I know the guy was referring to the fs in the article, and they can't force their religion on people who don't want to hear their message, but the fact is the jws do force their religion on their kids, and from a very early age. I guess he conveniently forgot that when he made the comment.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

He probably knows he'll sell a lot of books to JWs if he talks them up.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

The Colburn's are a fairly wealthy family (Commercial Real Estate) in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area and do not in my opinion, worry too much about being mistreated or pushed around like the ordinary 'rank & file'! Life in the Watchtower is just wonderful!

Outaservice

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

A degree in International Relations - Now that one will be in demand in "Paradise."

Skeeter

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

A degree in International Relations - Now that one will be in demand in "Paradise."

Skeeter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit