September km- They're coming for you

by sspo 39 Replies latest jw friends

• sspo
    sspo

In Sept. km under announcements, loving provision from Jehovah, elders are being reminded to make the yearly visit to all those that have been DF or DA.

Make sure you have some good coffee or a six pack for them.

Treat them kindly and with respect, the GB is very much interested in all those that they kicked out.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Agggghhhhhhhhh !

• Purza
    Purza

Oh joy! Good thing I moved over an hour away!

Purza

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I'll have my garden hose ready

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I'm just glad no JW here knows me and the ones from the past who did know me haven't a clue where to find me

I think I really like this disappearing act I've managed

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I am looking forward to a visit. Been gone for over 5 years and never once have they been by. I am armed and ready with many questions for them. I could keep them busy for hours! Come on over boys, we'll have a good ol' time!

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    jayhawk1: I could keep them busy for hours!

They won't be there to entertain discussion, I'm sure. They will only be assessing whether you are yet reduced to a pitiable enough state that you will decide to return to their "loving" care.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

We can expect a visit then, were both da'd. I wonder if they'll vist us as a couple or as individuals?

I hope they phone in advance of the visit, we won't feed the dog that day.

• blondie
    blondie

*** km 9/05 p. 7 Announcements ***

The elders are reminded to follow through on instructions given on pages 21-3 of the April 15, 1991, Watchtower regarding any disfellowshipped or disassociated ones who may be inclined toward becoming reinstated.

w91 4/15 pp. 21-23 Imitate God’s Mercy Today ***

Returning

to Jehovah

But may the elders themselves take any initiative in approaching a disfellowshipped person? Yes. The Bible shows that mercy is expressed not simply by a negative holding back of punishment but often by positive acts. We have Jehovah’s example. Before he sent his unfaithful people into exile, he prophetically held out the prospect of their returning: "Remember these things, O Jacob, and you, O Israel, because you are my servant. . . . I will wipe out your transgressions just as with a cloud, and your sins just as with a cloud mass. Do return to me, for I will repurchase you."—Isaiah 44:21, 22.

Then, during the exile, Jehovah took further steps, acting in a positive way. He sent prophets, his representatives, to invite Israel to ‘seek him and find him.’ (Jeremiah 29:1, 10-14) At Ezekiel 34:16, he likened himself to a shepherd and the people of the nation of Israel to lost sheep: "The lost one I shall search for, and the dispersed one I shall bring back." At Jeremiah 31:10, Jehovah also used the imagery of his being a shepherd of the Israelites. No, he did not depict himself as a shepherd at the sheepfold waiting for the lost one to come back; rather, he showed himself as a shepherd searching for the lost ones. Note that even while the people in general were unrepentant and exiled, God initiated efforts to seek their return. And in line with Malachi 3:6, God would not change his way of dealing in the Christian arrangement.

Does this not suggest that there could be a reason for initiating steps toward some who are disfellowshipped and who may now be repentant? Remember that the apostle Paul gave direction to remove the wicked man from the Corinthian congregation. Later he exhorted the congregation to confirm their love toward the man because of his repentance, leading to his subsequent reinstatement in the congregation.—1 Corinthians 5:9-13; 2 Corinthians 2:5-11.

The encyclopedia quoted earlier said: ‘The basic rationale for excommunication was to protect the standards of the group: "a little leaven leavens the whole lump" (1 Cor. 5:6). This motive is clear in most biblical and extracanonical passages, but concern for the individual, even after expulsion, was the basis of Paul’s plea in 2 Cor. 2:7-10.’ (Italics ours.) Hence, concern of this kind should logically be shown today by the shepherds of the flock. (Acts 20:28; 1 Peter 5:2) Former friends and relatives might hope that a disfellowshipped one would return; yet out of respect for the command at 1 Corinthians 5:11, they do not associate with an expelled person. They leave it to the appointed shepherds to take the initiative to see if such a one is interested in returning.

It would not be fitting even for elders to take the initiative toward certain expelled ones, such as apostates, who ‘speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves.’ These are ‘false teachers who are trying to bring in destructive sects and to exploit the congregation with counterfeit words.’ (Acts 20:30; 2 Peter 2:1, 3) The Bible also does not provide any basis for searching out disfellowshipped ones who are belligerent or who actively encourage wrongdoing.—2 Thessalonians 2:3; 1 Timothy 4:1; 2 John 9-11; Jude 4, 11.

However, many expelled ones are not like that. One may have ceased the serious wrongdoing for which he was disfellowshipped. Another may have been using tobacco, or he may in the past have been overdrinking, but he is not now trying to lead others into wrongdoing. Recall that even before exiled Israel turned to God, he sent representatives urging them to come back. Whether Paul or the elders in the Corinth congregation took some initiative to check on the disfellowshipped man, the Bible does not say. When that man had repented and ended his immorality, Paul directed the congregation to reinstate him.

In recent times there have been cases in which an elder happened to meet a disfellowshipped person. Where appropriate, the shepherd briefly outlined the steps to be taken for reinstatement. Some persons like this repented and were reinstated. Such joyful outcomes indicate that there may be disfellowshipped or disassociated ones who would respond to a merciful approach made by the shepherds. But how might the elders handle this matter? Once a year at most, the body of elders should consider whether there are such persons living in their territory. The elders would focus on those who have been expelled for over a year. According to the circumstances, if it is appropriate, they would assign two elders (hopefully ones familiar with the situation) to visit such an individual. No visit would be made on any who evidence a critical, dangerous attitude or who have made it known that they want no help.—Romans 16:17, 18; 1 Timothy 1:20; 2 Timothy 2:16-18.

The two shepherds could telephone to ask about making a brief visit, or they could stop by at a suitable time. During the visit, they need not be stern or even cool but should warmly reflect their merciful concern. Instead of reviewing the past case, they could discuss Bible texts such as Isaiah 1:18 and 55:6, 7 and James 5:20. If the person is interested in returning to God’s flock, they could kindly explain what steps he should take, such as reading the Bible and publications of the Watch Tower Society and attending meetings at the Kingdom Hall.

These elders will need wisdom and discernment to determine whether there is indication of repentance and whether a follow-up visit would be advisable. They should bear in mind, of course, that some disfellowshipped persons will never be ‘revived to repentance.’ (Hebrews 6:4-6; 2 Peter 2:20-22) After the visit, the two would give a brief oral report to the Congregation Service Committee. They, in turn, would inform the body of elders at their next meeting. The elders’ merciful initiative will have reflected God’s view: "‘Return to me, and I will return to you,’ Jehovah of armies has said."—Malachi 3:7.
  • orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I have been out for over seven years and in all that time not one elder has visited me. They also know where I li ve as I have seen them in my building and my ex husband also told the elders where I live..

I am not sweating over t his because I know that will not show up. They are afraid of what I will say to them.

I somehow wish they'd show up, because I'd love to tell them a thing or two.

Orangefatcat is geared up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit